We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Best Online Gardening Site?

Options
mardatha
mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
Looking for recommendations re a good site for buying plants. Used to use Ebay but the postage is getting ridiculous and the prices creeping higher and higher. Where do you all buy from?

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I used to use mail order from the usual suspects, like T & M, Parkers etc but found the sizes & quality was variable

I now buy from going to the shops, like Morrison's, Lild or local garden centre to look at the plants and pick what I want

Given you location I realise this my not be an option for you but it may help others
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    I have bought from here https://www.directplants.co.uk/ and was very happy with the quality of the plants I received
  • mardatha
    Options
    I can get to a garden centre if I really nag the husband to take me :D
    I'll look at directplants, thanks both x
  • Parkers, you cant beat it!
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Looking for recommendations re a good site for buying plants.
    I look for what I want to buy, see who's got the best price and then try and find that cheapest supplier on a cashback site. It sometimes takes a bit of working out but I'm retired so the time doesn't matter too much.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Parkers, you cant beat it!
    There are those who would disagree:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.jparkers.co.uk
  • mardatha
    Options
    I have to be careful with big sites, as what might be hardy down south is def not hardy enough for me up here :D Lost too many plants (and money) that way. I double check everything on the RHS site, I need H6 or better still H7. Used to be ebay was ok but I notice none of you recommend it now. TY for all help x
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I will give Beechwoodtrees HERE a shout.

They are on Ebay, but also trade directly via the website above. I've been using them for hedging and trees, in bulk buy mode, and favour them over Buckingham, Ashridge, Hedges Direct, and all the others...

They do sell other plants, including fruit trees which I have bought, but they may not have the widest of ranges. The dreaded postage is in there, of course, and that bumps the price up for smaller quantity orders.

However, what has impressed me most is the quality of what they've shipped out - it's been excellent!

There are bargains to be had elsewhere - and, for that, I tend to scour a Google search, hunt around on the big plant sales sites...

For me, I moved here partly 'cos there's a pair of excellent nurseries nearby... wonderful timewasters they are! Not so useful for you up there, miles from anywhere, windswept and cold... :D
  • seanoctagan
    Options
    It's always a risk buying plants online - I try to let people know when I've been successful - just got some amazing rhubarb plants dirt cheap from Hayloft - http://www.hayloft-plants.co.uk/Rhubarb/x-hybridum-Timerley-Early-AGM/prod29698.html
  • mardatha
    Options
    I quite like being up here windswept and cold DDuck lol - but I wish there was a garden centre closer than 30 miles.. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure