PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style as an escape from the world?

Options

Comments

• Angel_Jenny
    Angel_Jenny Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Oh my! So many wonderful posts! :) I half expected to get no replies at all! I am reading back through them all now with a notepad by my side.

I need to learn the word no. A lot of my issues are due to the pressure I put on myself - as a fiance, as a full time step mum, as a daughter, as a sister and even as an employee. I don't know why but I end up as the unofficial counselor in every place I work!

I have started decluttering. I need to stop putting it off and being overwhelmed and just do a drawer or cupboard at a time. I have a bit of an all or nothing view!
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Hello angel Jenny

I agree, one drawer/cupboard/shelf at a time is the way to go!

Good luck
    Bexster :)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello angel Jenny

I agree, one drawer/cupboard/shelf at a time is the way to go!

Good luck
    Bexster :)

Or the Konmarie way of one category at a time.. I did a combination of both. Started with books, then clothes (separated into their various categories). Once I was in the swing I could do a drawer, or the Harry Potter cupboard (the one under the stairs :D), or my desk. It's addictive, mind..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • cbsexec
    cbsexec Posts: 580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Really enjoyed reading this thread. I have virtually given up ironing. It is such a wasteful use of time. No one notices. I have friends who spend hours ironing and moaning about it. And then squashing things in drawers or cupboards which then crumples the clothes again. I fold (like MK - a revelation!) carefully after washing and 9 times out of 10 things are perfectly ok to wear. So much time saved. More time to relax and enjoy living.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We rarely iron anything at all - hankies get ironed because they fit in the drawer better, but other than that, Mr LW irons a shirt if we're going to - for instance - the opera, but that's about it.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I like this thread. Just set up my new laptop something I would never have been able to do a few years ago. I have Kondoed my house instead of downsizing and it is now easier to keep and easier to heat. Still have a huge garden almost an allotment. I have lost some weight and now have a capsule wardrobe of much less items but better quality ones. Wish I had done this long ago. I am not a fan of ironing either just pillow cases and teatowels.
  • Dark_Star
    Dark_Star Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Also a hard core Pratchett fan. Have most of the books & even have a couple signed where I queued up at book signings. He was always polite to everyone.

If I could live anywhere it would be in the Unseen Library which would have a secret door leading directly on to a quiet sandy beach...(which it quite possibly does!)

Decluttering - always an ongoing task here. I have taken to acquiring empty wine boxes from the supermarket & filling those as they don't take up that much room but will hold a reasonable amount of tat &, if full of books, are not too heavy to lift. Plus I can distribute them amongst the many charity shops in my nearby town without inundating them with everything. :rotfl:
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just read this thread from the beginning with a glass of wine by my side and on the rare occasion that I am on my own. I have laughed and laughed out loud. I particularly liked the idea of drugging the sprogs with mogadon and sending them parcel post.
    What's coming through it all is "be yourself". Stop pandering to everyone else and do what makes YOU happy. Life is definitely too short.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dark Star, I let my son miss school to meet TP I even told the school why he wasn't there, his tutor agreed that it was the right thing to do.

I'm very good at decluttering, I have to be as I live on a narrowboat, it's definitely one in one out here.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • firebubble
    firebubble Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What a lovely thread, I love the collective wisdom of you all (and I'm going to start standing my tins upside down...that is genius!).

Angel_Jenny, if you're really feeling overwhelmed, may I recommend the biggest luxury, timesaver and organisation incentive I have found? A weekly cleaner.

Truly amazing - it's the best money I spend all week. The night before she comes, I make sure everything is put away - initially, this meant doing what flylady calls the 'stash and dash' with stuff just rammed into cupboards - and then she does a basic clean, including changing the beds. What I found when I was really overwhelmed and so busy at work, is that this keeps everything at a basic presentable standard.

Meaning that you then have the time to start decluttering, because you're not trying to clean and tidy as well. Suddenly, life seems more manageable. You don't get up on a Saturday morning (the best time of the week), and immediately feel guilty because you need to start cleaning. When the rest of your family is relaxing, you can relax too because the cleaning is done. Decluttering is easy to start having got over the 'cleaning hurdle'. You have time for hobbies. You have one evening a week where your home is immaculate and you have lovely clean bedding - you'll get a better night's sleep.

Even if you get one as a temporary measure whilst you get on top of things, it's well worth the money. I found that, in the same way that it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking 'when I'm slim I'll....' but then never lose the weight so the rest doesn't happen, cleaning for me encouraged similar thinking of 'when this place is clean I'll...declutter/beautify it/relax etc. I never did, until I got a cleaner.

Life is too short to feel overwhelmed, and sometimes it's about accepting your limitations, which for me (slattern!) is cleaning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure