My own little MMD

Options
A couple of weeks ago we were in our local Thai restaurant (very nice!).

Anyway got the bill and it seemed a bit low. I had a look and it appeared my partner's spring rolls hadn't been charged for. I drew the waitress's attention to it and she explained it was part of a two course deal and then said 'I do know what I'm doing, you know", which made us jump and then laugh to each other. That's fine. I don't mind that.

But what do you do? If you think you've been undercharged in a restaurant do you raise it with the waiting staff.

No judgement about whether you should or not. Just genuinely interested how others see it.

Comments

• Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I always query it whether I'm over or under charged.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Pay quick and exit quick.
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Me too!pay what they asked for, tip the waitress.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes I would, it's no different than querying being overcharged.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pay the bill and leave.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago we were in our local Thai restaurant (very nice!).

Anyway got the bill and it seemed a bit low. I had a look and it appeared my partner's spring rolls hadn't been charged for. I drew the waitress's attention to it and she explained it was part of a two course deal and then said 'I do know what I'm doing, you know", which made us jump and then laugh to each other. That's fine. I don't mind that.

But what do you do? If you think you've been undercharged in a restaurant do you raise it with the waiting staff.

No judgement about whether you should or not. Just genuinely interested how others see it.

Yep always tell them. I've eaten the food so I should pay for it.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would generally tell them. Particularly if it's a local business rather than a large chain - they work on very small margins and it doesn't seem right to take advantage of that.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I tell them.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 March 2018 at 9:48PM
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    I would generally tell them. Particularly if it's a local business rather than a large chain - they work on very small margins and it doesn't seem right to take advantage of that.

Yes. Good point. This is a small local restaurant.

A number of years ago myself and three friends went out for lunch. We had drinks in the bar and then with the meal.

When the bill came there was no drinks on it at all (we had done some expensive drinking!). We had the debate - two of us were for getting out as quickly as they could. The other two (the bill payers as it happened) felt that if we did that the staff may well get in trouble - so we raised it. They were thankful and then presented us with an amended bill with the restaurant drinks on - but not the bar ones.

At that stage we paid and left.

:beer::beer:
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would always tell a restaurant, or a shop, if they've undercharged me. I know that some places make the staff pay for till discrepancies out of their own pocket, so there is no way I would not tell them. It's happened a few times.

Mind you, I have no problem letting them know if they've overcharged me either. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure