NI Credits problem

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I wrote to DWP almost three weeks ago to get (in writing) exactly how I stand - if I pay, almost £5k in contributions to make up my missing years - guess what ?
    No reply !
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/pensions/article-5600541/Officials-admit-say-state-pension-work.html worries me somewhat.....
    Any sign of the legislation re Ill Health Pensions - pmlindyloo ?

Occupational pensions are treated as income and reduce any income based ESA?JSA £ for £.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/689994/dmgch51.pdf

Have you decided to go down the JSA route rather than the ESA route?
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I wrote to DWP almost three weeks ago to get (in writing) exactly how I stand - if I pay, almost £5k in contributions to make up my missing years - guess what ?
    No reply !
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/pensions/article-5600541/Officials-admit-say-state-pension-work.html worries me somewhat.....
    Any sign of the legislation re Ill Health Pensions - pmlindyloo ?

Ask on the pensions section of the board. They will tell you if paying past years will give you anything. Mostly paying years before 2016 won't do a thing so don't pay without advice.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    When you say a "problem" because you are short 8 years, have you checked your State Pension Forecast online - which you can do now. https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

AFAIK it is 35 years now and not 40 but the forecast will tell you.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    WhenIam64 wrote: »
    When you say a "problem" because you are short 8 years, have you checked your State Pension Forecast online - which you can do now. https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

AFAIK it is 35 years now and not 40 but the forecast will tell you.
    I finally managed to access my records on-line !

Summary

years of full contributions
    years to contribute before 5 April 2030
    years when you did not contribute enough
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,783 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 16 April 2018 at 12:23PM
    I finally managed to access my records on-line !

Summary

years of full contributions
    years to contribute before 5 April 2030
    years when you did not contribute enough

This sounds like your NI record - have you also got a state pension forecast ? This should tell you the monetary amount your current NI record will get you in terms of a pension.

From what you've said so far, as a civil servant you'll have been contracted out for some time, so your 'starting amount' calculated at the point the new State Pension was introduced was most likely using the old calculation, and as you had over 30 years NI would be around £120.

In this case, getting any pre-2016 NI credits wouldn't increase your pension amount.

Each NI year you can buy/get creditted from 6/4/16 up to 5/4/30 will increase your pension by 1/35th of the full amount (so around £4.70 a week) until it reaches the maximum - currently £164.34).

Your state pension foreast will confirm your current value and tell you how many more years you need.
  • 50Twuncle
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    This sounds like your NI record - have you also got a state pension forecast ? This should tell you the monetary amount your current NI record will get you in terms of a pension.

From what you've said so far, as a civil servant you'll have been contracted out for some time, so your 'starting amount' calculated at the point the new State Pension was introduced was most likely using the old calculation, and as you had over 30 years NI would be around £120.

In this case, getting any pre-2016 NI credits wouldn't increase your pension amount.

Each NI year you can buy/get creditted from 6/4/16 up to 5/4/30 will increase your pension by 1/35th of the full amount (so around £4.70 a week) until it reaches the maximum - currently £164.34).

Your state pension foreast will confirm your current value and tell you how many more years you need.
    It is combined on my State Pension Summary
    Apparently - I can receive an absolute maximum of £164.35 per week if I can obtain another 8 years of NI contributions - I currently have 32 years worth £128.12 per week
    So that's clear to me now - I need 40 years NI conts to get max state pension
    next - I need to get an appointment with JCP to try to get them to pay them for me
  • 50Twuncle
    Update....
    I finally received written confirmation from DWP and have asked JCP how I claim CREDITS ONLY NI contributions - they have sent me a link to claim UC on-line
    But this link also requests my wifes details (why ?
    what has my NI to do with my wife ?)

Is there no way to claim NI credits based on ESA ?
    Because, although I will not be entitled to claim ESA (savings being too great) - I do meet the criteria to claim the benefit....
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If your area is a full UC area you won't be able to claim ESA. They ask for your wifes details because you claim as a couple.
  • 50Twuncle
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    If your area is a full UC area you won't be able to claim ESA. They ask for your wifes details because you claim as a couple.
    Even though it is only MY NI credits that I am after
    OK I tried the on-line form and was got stuck at the point on the on-line UC form that asks "Does your condition restrict your ability to work or look for work?"
    Because it DOES
    Yet - it assumes that since I said YES - I am unable to work - but I do work - 10 hours per week - what do I do next ?
    It won't let me continue without "fit note" details
    I do not have (or need a fit note)
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If you were claiming ESA then you wouldn't be able to do this without a fit note, even if it's for NI credits only. You would still need to go through the same process as someone who was receiving payments... IE assessments etc.

I'm certain it's the same thing for UC because you have a limited capability for work, which is why you're only working 10 hours i'm assuming? I'm sure others will have more knowledge on the UC part than i do and will see this and help you further.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure