PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help to Buy Equity Loans guide discussion

Options

Comments

• sclennett89
    Options
    Myself and my partner are about to purchase a property for 180K in Yarm, TS15 9FL, Cleveland. We are putting 10% down with or without Help To Buy, we can afford the mortgage without HTB from day one at a push but in five years we would be much more comfortable financially to swallow up the equity loan with a remortgage, meaning we will benefit from a smaller mortgage for 5 years at a smaller interest rate.
    We've been warned about a drastic rise in our payments in five years by taking out the HTB, but the way I see it in 5 years time we won't need more than the mortgage value we would be taking out at day 1 without HTB so we should certainly be in a position to consolidate both loans in a remortgage.
    I understand if the value of the property goes up we will owe more, but if this is the case and we sell then great we've made a 80% profit, at least we will also have the security that if the property loses value the HTB loan will be smaller.
    I'm just making sure i'm on the right tracks with all this and wondering if anyone can offer any advise or expand on what i've wrote?
    Finally the housing company have offered us 5% so we will always have a bit of breathing space the fact that 9K equity in the house has been gifted to us.
    Thanks
    Sam
  • ihardingham
    Options
    Hi all, this is a little complicated sorry in advance.

Firstly thanks for the guide but I think it has some holes:

We are in year 6 of our H2B having purchased our home in 2013, the house value has gone up through the roof increasing by over £100k

Logically it would make sense to repay Target through the normal repayment method as that is repaying the £44k we borrowed, and not the £70k that we would need to pay if we paid in full.

Is that right? It isnt covered in the guide, it talks about selling or repaying in full, are those the only options?

So if I make capital repayments and not interest only repayments am I repaying the initial borrowing amount or the 20% current value of the house?

Thanks for the advice already
    Ian
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Redemption of the whole loan, or staircasing (paying back half the loan which is the only other option) is always based on the current value.

There is no option to avoid paying based on the increased value and no option to make any other payments.

You can repay half the loan at one time, with the other half later; or the full loan at one time.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • mikedaveross
    Options
    Might want to read this about Help to Buy interest rate rises in year 5!

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5985826

Not sure how to make an MSE employee aware?
  • martyn34
    Options
    If I want to remorgage after 2 years to pay off the help to buy, do I just pay back the original sum or do they take it on the value of the house now, like they do if u was selling it. As the local estate has valued our house at 50k more then we paid.
  • kingstreet
    Options
    martyn34 wrote: »
    If I want to remorgage after 2 years to pay off the help to buy, do I just pay back the original sum or do they take it on the value of the house now, like they do if u was selling it. As the local estate has valued our house at 50k more then we paid.
    Percentage of value at sale time, not original loan. It's based on the higher of value by a RICS surveyor and the agreed selling price.

See buyer's guide page 6;-
    When you sell your Help to Buy home (unless you have chosen to repay your equity loan earlier), you must repay the Help to Buy assistance from a share of the sale proceeds. So, if Homes England assisted your purchase with a 20% contribution, your repayment will be 20% of the total market value when it is sold.
    https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/Help-to-Buy-Buyers-Guide-Feb-2018-FINAL.pdf
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • GazSpence91
    Options
    Hi, does paying off my mortgage early have any impact on my equity loan repayment schedule?

I have only seen that the equity loan must be paid within 25 years or on the sale of the property.

I'm looking to reduce my mortgage payments to zero and then 'staircase' my equity loan repayments.

Thanks
  • kingstreet
    Options
    Hi, does paying off my mortgage early have any impact on my equity loan repayment schedule?

I have only seen that the equity loan must be paid within 25 years or on the sale of the property.

I'm looking to reduce my mortgage payments to zero and then 'staircase' my equity loan repayments.

Thanks
    Answered your thread elsewhere.

HTB loan must be repaid at same time, or before mortgage.
  • GazSpence91
    Options
    Thank you. That's annoying. Would've loved to have been mortgage free and then chip away at the equity loan.

I think I'll pay off the majority of the mortgage and then 10% of the equity loan (based on my property price)

Cheers
  • kingstreet
    Options
    Remember the equity loan can only be repaid in upto two chunks. 10% of property value each time, or 20% at once and there are costs to do this;-

https://www.myfirsthome.org.uk/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback