PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help to Buy Equity Loans guide discussion

Options

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Target are the pits, the forum is full of horror stories by people trying to communicate with them regarding staircasing/redemption.

The £6.55 might be partial payment for the days remaining until the day in the month they will use for the payments. For example you took the equity loan on 27th, but they want to run the payments on 1st each month so they only took pro rata for 3-4 days in the first month.

Give it 1 month after this initial payment and see how much they take out. It will be faster than any response you can hope to get from them.
  • laura_lou84
    Options
    Has anyone remortgaged and settled their loan? Unsure on the T&Cs if it must be a survey separate from the mortgage company's valuation?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Has anyone remortgaged and settled their loan? Unsure on the T&Cs if it must be a survey separate from the mortgage company's valuation?
    It is. Get yours done first.

Many lenders' remortgage valuations are non-disclosed, so you won't get a copy.

Target only gets yours on a remortgage, so don't worry about one being higher/lower etc.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • gingerblah
    Options
    Hello all,

I would like to ask for advice on my options for my Help to Buy Equity Loan.

Next July the 5 years interest free period for the Equity Loan will end and we will need to start paying interest. We will get a new mortgage product in July for our existing mortgage.

Due to all the uncertainties of Brexit I am feeling apprehensive about taking on more debt by remortgaging and taking on the Help to Buy Equity Loan. I am worried about the possibility of the house values going down and being left with an even bigger mortgage on a house that is not worth as much...... I know that no one can predict what will happen but would I be in a better position to take on the equity loan or to pay the interest on the loan and when everything settles make a decision. As then I could maybe take on a second mortgage just for the equity loan?

Look forward to your reply,

Ann
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,977 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    gingerblah wrote: »
    Hello all,

I would like to ask for advice on my options for my Help to Buy Equity Loan.

Next July the 5 years interest free period for the Equity Loan will end and we will need to start paying interest. We will get a new mortgage product in July for our existing mortgage.

Due to all the uncertainties of Brexit I am feeling apprehensive about taking on more debt by remortgaging and taking on the Help to Buy Equity Loan. I am worried about the possibility of the house values going down and being left with an even bigger mortgage on a house that is not worth as much...... I know that no one can predict what will happen but would I be in a better position to take on the equity loan or to pay the interest on the loan and when everything settles make a decision. As then I could maybe take on a second mortgage just for the equity loan?

Look forward to your reply,

Ann

It's good to think through the options now.

Waiting until the Brexit situation is clearer is certainly an option.

It may be worth considering a new mortgage with no redemption penalties, that way you could remortgage again to repay the HTB loan when you decide to do so.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • JuJuMonkey
    Options
    Hi, we will finally be in a position to buy our first home this year and am wondering if this loan is a good idea to save interest on paying a bigger mortgage?

What I mean is, we are thinking about getting one of these loans as it's interest free for the first 5 years, and paying it off within that time (therefore borrowing the money without any fees), as opposed to having a bigger mortgage and paying interest on the bigger mortgage.

Is this a good idea? or will it be just as easy/cheap to get a full, regular mortgage after taking into account redemption fees,etc? I've not seen anyone mention this anywhere so am I misunderstanding?
    To me it seems we can save a heap of money by taking on this loan xx
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,977 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    JuJuMonkey wrote: »
    Hi, we will finally be in a position to buy our first home this year and am wondering if this loan is a good idea to save interest on paying a bigger mortgage?

What I mean is, we are thinking about getting one of these loans as it's interest free for the first 5 years, and paying it off within that time (therefore borrowing the money without any fees), as opposed to having a bigger mortgage and paying interest on the bigger mortgage.

Is this a good idea? or will it be just as easy/cheap to get a full, regular mortgage after taking into account redemption fees,etc? I've not seen anyone mention this anywhere so am I misunderstanding?
    To me it seems we can save a heap of money by taking on this loan xx

Depends if you want to restrict yourself to choosing a (potentially overpriced) new build.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Mathias123
    Options
    We’re considering remortgaging/switching partway through the 5 year interest free period. There is little information in the guide about this, e.g. I can’t see any reference to switching deals with the same lender during the 5 year period.

We have a 2 year fixed mortgage that ends in June. After this we still have 3 years left on the 5 year period so are looking to fix to for another 3 years. A brief section about switching products with the same lender would be useful, as well as if HCA approval is required or not - I can’t find any information on this anywhere!
  • Ashleighmckenna
    Options
    Hello, I am hoping to gain the best option, from people's experience and knowledge on H2B redemption...

I bought my first home in May 2018 and took out the H2B equity loan. I appreciate I have 5 years until interest etc, but I am now in the position to pay the equity loan off in full.

I have read through the Target document and I know my options. There is obviously a few fees, including Chartered Surveyor, Solicitor and H2B £200 fee to pay, when going through the process. My mortgage is 2 year fixed, so I would need to remortgage in May 2020.

However, whilst I have the money, I really would like to pay it off.

Is it best to go through the redemption process... or because I am in a much better financial situation now, would it make sense to remortgage? Pay the H2B and find a better mortgage rate?

I don't even know if that's an option to be honest, I haven't looked that far into it.

Is there charges for remortgaging early?

Thank you
  • Jtipple
    Options
    We’ve recently secured a 75% mortgage from Natwest. We have our 5% deposit and applied for the Help to buy equity loan from the government who have refused us based on affordability. We are both first time buyers. I’m a part time primary school teacher (have a 14month old so want to be home with her) and my husband works for a charity. Our credit rating is excellent. We want to get on the property ladder and have reserved a property (no charge). Please advise what we can do now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback