Ongoing Journey to being a Frugalista..

Options

Comments

• brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Evening!!!! Still here.. it’s been a stressful few months not least several bouts of isolation but turning my mind to all things MSE at the moment… want to see if we can get to FI in 8 years…. Exciting and scary!! 

hope everyone is safe and well 

xxx
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,437 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello there 👋 Good to hear from you again. 
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Morning Brizzle, good to hear from you. Hope you and your family are all well xx
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lovely to 'see' you again :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,512 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello Brizzled  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    Hi All!! 

I do hope everyone is well and thriving. Am sure I have missed way way too much. I am sorry about that! 2 years!! And what a bonkers 2 years it’s been for everyone. I’ve been wondering if I need to get back to posting and being accountable for our spending and think I need to.. we are slowly slipping back into debt and with 2 kids at Uni from September as well as lower incomes overall we need to be sensible. I’m also off with Covid.. feel rubbish so being ill is always time for a re-set and a plan for the months ahead. 

Do so hope you’re all doing well. Looking forward to catching up and posting again xx
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,437 Forumite
    Options
    Hello stranger! I was wondering how you were getting on the other day when I was scrolling through all my bookmarks. Good to hear from you again.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,512 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Good to hear from you :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,769 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I was wondering how you were getting on. 
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    Ah so nice to hear from you all! Thank you for popping in and posting. I think about you all too and wonder how you are, I’ll check out the diaries soon. 

I need to make an amendment really - we aren’t slipping into debt yet… but it feels like it’s looming. I’m old enough to know our DF status so hard won is in danger of being lost. 

We recently went back to being a 2 vehicle family (from none) and that is hurting. But it’s also other stuff like increasing cost of food, having a dog and even stuff like bus tickets. Don’t get your average Bristolian started on that!! 🤣  I also took a job about a year ago which was less money and a worse pension .. because I thought it’d be better for my mental health. Jury is out currently on that one. Lots of things are better about it  but certainly not all. 

I guess in summary I am feeling unsettled and can’t quite grab hold of it. But somethings need to change otherwise I will end up with low level disquiet being a constant feature!!

But as always we are extremely privileged  and have much to be grateful for:

- 1 permanent lodger and 1 temporary whilst kids are at Uni. Also started to host ABnB. Nice to have the house full if I am honest.. and the money is ridiculous even though we don’t charge either what we could. That would feel like racketeering, prices have grown insane 

- solar panels now linked to a battery which has been amazing last summer and this. Sometimes we don’t pull from the grid at all in a 24 hour period which is obviously keeping our bills far lower than they would have been. 

- able to support both kids at Uni, they have loans for fees but not maintenance. It’ll be a stretch this Autumn but are managing so far. They are very grateful and don’t ask for anything during holidays when they work if they can. Getting jobs during term time more difficult - few zero hours ones out there it seems despite the media commentary - youngest needs that due to the clubs she’s involved in. With our blessing we may add 

- am hoping for a decent CoL increase for both of us this summer, haven’t had a pay rise since April last so overdue. Let’s hope the settlement keeps talent with our current employers! 

- have hit the Bay of E recently to sell some stuff which was no longer needed. It’s a useful outlet. One more large item to list, hopefully in a week or two. 

- still meal plan but need to be more ruthless with planning cheaper options eg beans and jacket potatoes. Cutting down alcohol would help, currently preferring quality over quantity which is good for health but less for wallet. 

- had a huge family holiday last winter which was amazing. And.. all was paid for in advance. Drum roll please!!! :D This summer will be a low key UK based affair but very pleased the DDs are coming along too. 

So… lots to be grateful for. Just wish I could shake this uncertainty. 

Love to you all 

BG xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport