John lewis refusing refund under distance sel regs

Options
1235»

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Why not issue a letter before claim? If they are not playing ball with a faulty product then get legal on them.

It may well be a n idea to be armed with a report of your own into the problem with the machine. Get an independent report done and add the price (assuming they find a fault) into the value claimed in the LBC.

Armed with a report they may well back down. I certainly wouldn't let it slide.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was thinking the same, it'll cost around £50-£75 to get an independent washing machine engineer out to diagnose the fault and armed with their report, if it is indeed faulty then you should be able to get JL to take you seriously. That is if you're confident that there is an inherent manufacturing fault.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    I've only bought from them once that I can think of and I phoned to check the item didn't require any assembly and was assured it didn't but in fact it did.

My other experience with them is my son buying me a hamper for Christmas and it arriving with a card to someone else with a message that clearly wasn't for me. Customer services couldn't explain what had happened or why.

Third experience was when checking my credit card and saw a purchase of almost £300 at John Lewis, I phoned them and they refused to give me any information due to data protection. It was my card so don't know why I can't have the details. They wouldn't help me, the only thing I found out was it had been delivered somewhere other than my address and suggested I speak to the police. I spoke to Sainsbury's bank who issued the card and their service was great and they dealt with everything and were surprised at what John Lewis had said.

I don't use John Lewis and don't understand why people think they are any good.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 April 2018 at 12:04AM
    Options
    I've only bought from them once that I can think of and I phoned to check the item didn't require any assembly and was assured it didn't but in fact it did.

My other experience with them is my son buying me a hamper for Christmas and it arriving with a card to someone else with a message that clearly wasn't for me. Customer services couldn't explain what had happened or why.

Third experience was when checking my credit card and saw a purchase of almost £300 at John Lewis, I phoned them and they refused to give me any information due to data protection. It was my card so don't know why I can't have the details. They wouldn't help me, the only thing I found out was it had been delivered somewhere other than my address and suggested I speak to the police. I spoke to Sainsbury's bank who issued the card and their service was great and they dealt with everything and were surprised at what John Lewis had said.

I don't use John Lewis and don't understand why people think they are any good.
    Because compared to most other large, department store retailers they are. That doesn't mean things don't go wrong but most are isolated incidents when you compare the sort of complaints you see with other retailers out there.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Well my experiences were 100% bad so I can only judge on my own experience.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can see it from both sides.

The OP knows there is an issue but doesn't know what is the cause. But it isn't working as it should.

The seller (JL) have sent an engineer and he claims the fault lies with the customer.

Taking aside what we've been told about the engineer, JL have to assume he is correct.

I would commission my own report - certainly with having another machine by the same manufacturer - it will cost less than £100. If there is a fault, [and it is inherent] the OP can go back to JL for a remedy and reimbursement of the cost of the report.

Of course, it could be that another engineer finds no fault. A chance the OP may feel isn't worth taking.
  • reason2
    reason2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    telling you to grow up is not a personal attack.

you were given honest and legitimate questions and advice, which you chose to ignore then sulked about culminating in a rude and unpleasant reply to said poster.

i note you have now edited this post so i cant quote some of the examples.

if someone acts childish, telling them to grow up is not an attack but legitimate advice.

Additionally you did state you wanted to get your own way immediately without JL being able to verify the issue you claimed to exist.

JL had done no wrong but you refused to accept that because you knew best.

Don't play the victim here, the responses you got were your own doing.

Ok Honey?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport