Sky price hikes - letter missing something...

I (amongst many millions of customers) have, this morning - received the annual price increase letter, from Sky...
The letter (which, to start with - does not give me the statuatory months notice of price increase (1st April)) - also does not mention any alternatives (such as leaving Sky - due to the increase being more than RPI) !!
What do you all intend to do about this illegal notification from Sky ?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    What do you all intend to do about this illegal notification from Sky ?
    Class Action Law Suit :D

(I received my letter more than a week ago, could yours have been delayed due to the recent inclement weather?)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    (I received my letter more than a week ago, could yours have been delayed due to the recent inclement weather?)

Probably, I got mine this morning too but it's dated 28/02/18.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    also does not mention any alternatives (such as leaving Sky - due to the increase being more than RPI) !!

That's because it would be incorrect.

There are different rules for phone/BB (which I assume you are referring to when you mention the option of leaving) and TV (which I assume you are talking about here given it is posted in the TV section).

I'm sure if you call Sky, they may credit you the 4 days cost in lieu of the delayed letter due to weather.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 March 2018 at 6:27PM
    TV - mine is going up by £2.50 which is 8% rise.
    Considerably more than RPI
    And in any case- mine was an agreed special price - arranged just 6 months ago for 18 months
    How can they put my charges up ?
  • mije1983
    Forumite
    TV - mine is going up by £2.50 which is 8% rise.
    Considerably more than RPI

Forget the RPI. It has no bearing on the TV section of Sky. I believe their TV terms allow for an up to 10% rise.

And in any case- mine was an agreed special price - arranged just 6 months ago for 18 months
    How can they put my charges up ?

That would be very unusual for Sky. Usually it is a % discount rather than a fixed price. So 50% off an £80 package, as opposed to £40 a month. Then when the £80 goes up to £82, it is 50% off so total £41.

If you have the fact it is a fixed price rather than a % discount in writing, then get in touch with them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mije1983 wrote: »
    That would be very unusual for Sky. Usually it is a % discount rather than a fixed price. So 50% off an £80 package, as opposed to £40 a month. Then when the £80 goes up to £82, it is 50% off so total £41.

That's certainly what mine is, I've 50% off so my price rise on Boxsets is going up £2.05 instead of the full £4.10.
  • 50Twuncle
    Forumite
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Forget the RPI. It has no bearing on the TV section of Sky. I believe their TV terms allow for an up to 10% rise.

If you have the fact it is a fixed price rather than a % discount in writing, then get in touch with them.

I pay £31.20 for an HD variety pack - going up to £33.70 THIS month !!
    They told me on the on-line chat that the price was fixed for the 18 months that the contract ran for (from July 2017)
    I have been a Sky customer for 16 years.
  • 50Twuncle
    Forumite
    How do Sky get away with over RPI rises every year - when THREE are limited to RPI ?
    And before anyone states the bleedin' obvious (three is a mobile phone company - so is sky !)
  • mije1983
    Forumite
    They told me on the on-line chat that the price was fixed for the 18 months that the contract ran for (from July 2017)

And you have a copy of this chat yes? So get in touch with them and question it.

How do Sky get away with over RPI rises every year - when THREE are limited to RPI ?
    And before anyone states the bleedin' obvious (three is a mobile phone company - so is sky !)

This price increase is to do with TV, not mobile. You are comparing apples and oranges. There are different rules for mobile phones, BB, TV etc. They are not all under one umbrella. You seem to be getting wound up around RPI and increases. Again, there is no RPI linked get out clause, or price rise get out clause, for TV.

Anyway, you are in a much stronger position than most as you have it in writing from Sky that your package is fixed price rather than a % discount.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,482
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Haven't had my letter yet either BUT I believe that previous years have shown the increase for your package WITHOUT discounts applied.
    I've just rechecked my future bills and my TV costs are going up 80p vs the published increase for my package of £2 so I'm still getting the 60% discounts as agreed.
    The increase on the full package price as a % would be ~2.8%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport