Put away your purse & become debt-averse

Options

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    Hello - thanks for all your kind wishes. After over a week away so that I could visit Mum every day, I am back home for a bit to have a catch up. Mum is much worse - she no longer knows who we are & looks so poorly that I can't really believe she's still hanging on. What a horrible summer it turned into for her - I'm just grateful for the drugs which can keep her comfortable.
    Well now, my little autumn pumpkins.....I have so much to do on all things frugal. I need to catch up on all my budget updates, do a heap of kitchen jobs, gather in back-log of apples & pears, check my presents box, as well as the usual 'coming home' tasks like laundry. Mr f is pretty domesticated, I'm pleased to say & has done a good job of keeping the house clean, picking courgettes & eating out of the freezer while I've been away.
    I've been slightly spendy at the garden centre today, but nothing like as bad as I've been in the past. It's been so very stressful with Mum that I just knew choosing some spring bulbs & a few pansies to fill some big tubs would cheer me up. I got a 2 for 1 on some of the bulbs, which reduced the cost a bit & I divided up lots of primulae last spring especially for my autumn tubs, plus some ivy, so it could have been a lot spendier at the garden centre than it was.
    We've done a meal plan & shopped today, but the coming week is very 'up in the air' because I will almost certainly get a call soon to return to Mum's bedside to say goodbye, & after that I will be busy with all the arrangements & legal stuff. So I'm just going to try & enjoy the autumn sunshine this afternoon & get a few nice cheery containers planted up. Mr f is doing a roast dinner & I've already earmarked the leftover joint for further meals.
    But I really do need to do those budget updates if I'm here long enough to have a good session at my desk with my money book & trusty (free!) calculator.
    Take care all of you.
    Best wishes,
    F xx

I admire your strength at this difficult time Foxgloves. Hope there's some you time in today as well x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,190 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks DNMS - Yes, there will be. Promise! I intend to have a lovely wallow in the bath, then I shall read my book (which is an intriguing thriller) & knit. I did tell mr f I'd make a rice pudding later as he's been fancying one topped with my blackberry & pear jam, but I shan't be doing any tedious jobs today. Even the budget stuff probably won't realistically be done till tomorrow.
    I'm holding up ok, but I can't deny that it's emotionally draining xx
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Enjoy your well earned break. Good to hear that your Mum is at least comfortable. As you say, a horrible end to the summer, for all of you :(

Love to you and your sis xx
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Thinking of you Foxgloves...........a difficult time! XX
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thinking of you. Hope you have as relaxing a day as it can be with Mr F x
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Just wanted to send you lots of love. I know there is nothing I can say or do that is useful but I am always thinking of you.
    :kiss:
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A really difficult time... sending love and gentle hugs. XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just wanted to say I was thinking of you Foxgloves.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,190 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh, aren't you all a lovely lot with your thoughtful words. We're driving down for hospital visiting tomorrow, but today, I've had a normal day at home. I didn't have a very good night's sleep but mr f appeared wielding eggs, crumpets & coffee & I perked up a bit. I didn't make a list today. I'm a huge list maker usually, hence my more usual 'home' on here being the DFW 'Small things' thread. There are so many things I need to do, but I value my mental health & decided not to add to my stress levels at the moment by writing a long list I don't have much chance of achieving. So I just tackled tasks in a more organic way today & have been quite productive. I've got 2 loads of laundry dry outside on the whirlygig for free, I've baked a sourdough loaf, finished planting the last of my spring bulbs, picked more courgettes, beans & pears, made a big cottage pie with some of yesterday's leftover roast beef & cast on some knitting. I've also run a pile of books through Ziffit - £28. Not even my books. They were being chucked. I offered to try Ziffit & split the cash. Well, I wouldn't walk past £14 if I saw it lying in the street, would I?
    A gentle evening planned. Nothing more taxing than reading my library book - I do love a good mystery - & stroking cat, who is currently hogging a whole big armchair to himself, having wolfed a bowl of particularly stinky gunk.
    Am longing for life to return to something approaching normal. Until then, I shall just have to keep b*ggering on!
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Positive thoughts for you and your family - so difficult for you all.
    Hope the thought of the spring flowers rallies your spirits, and the comforts of a cat, good book and home bring some solace.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00
    LD 11.24 £500.00/£465.00 (93%)    Fn £400                                                     
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£404.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£085.00 (18%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£070.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£086.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0750.00

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport