Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

House Price Crash Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hgllgh wrote: »
    The US has had 2 or 3 interest rate cuts ... still crashing :T
    what makes you think its different here where our property is 50% more over valued than the US :confused:

Cos we havent got a central banks that chucks cash at dodgey lenders.............

um.......... ang on....let try that again

Its cos we havent got sub prime/chav mortgages.... our banks only lend to safe borrowers with decent deposits.........

No ....er

Is it cos we dont start wars with other countries?

!!!!!! no

right....

er......

Is it cos Americans are fatter than us? :D
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    nelly wrote: »
    Is it cos Americans are fatter than us? :D

Nail. Hit. Head.

:rotfl:
  • secondtoughest
    Options
    Listened to Radio 4 on my lunch hour today: surprise, surprise! House price crash discussion. Then looked on The Guardian online to this article (amongst many others):

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/focus/story/0,,2228314,00.html

You've got to laugh at the sellers story. "Over the past couple of years they have 'sold' the house three times only to be told weeks before a move that the deal had fallen through" - the lady seller then explains that 'its different' in their area, houses are still selling so they'll be okay.
    2016 diet challenge 16lbs/42lbs lost

2014 MFW #114: £5000 overpayments made
    2015 Savings Challenge #65: £6000 saved
  • dunnomate
    Options
    Sometimes bad news sounds more dramatic than good news. However, I think prices are generally looking downward. But this could be seasonal. Remember, life stops for Xmas. But... see bbc.co.uk/business today for more doom and gloom !

cheers

dunnomate
    No Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • DreamBreaker
    Options
    m00m00 wrote: »
    there's a hell of a lot of sub prime lie to buy type behaviour going on to get people on the ladder, far more than is generally thought. The Northern Rock 6x multiplier helped a lot too .

the Posh stuff in wakefield (Sandal) can touch the .5 million mark quite easily, and these tend to only change hands to people with significant equity already.

I sold a property in wakefield earlier this year for 101k (and that was one of thecheapest non ex council 3 beds on the market. The first 2 offers fell through due to the buyers not being able to secure finance. It finally sold to a buyer who on a sole income of just under 20k managed to secure a 95% mortgage. How, I didn't want to know.

the average wage in that area is somewhere between 17-18k with most of it weighted around the 12k mark.

You quote all these fugures but where are you getting then from? You quote average wage in wakefiled? whats is your source, just interested thats all!
  • DreamBreaker
    Options
    !!!!!!? wrote: »
    There is an element on this site who are almost pathologically anti-discussion of house price drops (see the net-stalking of 'Squat now').

They created enough fuss when price drop threads got numerous that all price drop discussion was crammed into a single thread - this one.

The market is now changing profoundly and undeniably so it should be interesting to see if this 'head in the sand' brigade hang around to troll or just keep a low profile.

I would not say all people who don't believe that the housing market is going to crash are "head in the sand brigade" so won't stay around. It's just the vast majority of people who own a house already could not really give a sh*t what happens to house prices. The only people who really care are people who are not on the ladder just yet and are hoping for news as to when they will be. That is why this forum will bever really be fully objective and will be heavily weighted on the side of those people in favour of a property crash! I am being frank but honest, don't mean to offend anyone!
  • m00m00
    m00m00 Posts: 1,755 Forumite
    Options
    as I said, I've done a lot of data modelling for a MAJOR financial institution, and am aware of the average wages, and wages per skill sector in many cities in the uk.

I am not giving out exact details due to client confidentiality reasons.
    It's a health benefit ...
  • boinging_2
    Options
    The only people who really care are people who are not on the ladder just yet and are hoping for news as to when they will be. That is why this forum will bever really be fully objective and will be heavily weighted on the side of those people in favour of a property crash! I am being frank but honest, don't mean to offend anyone!

What tosh! I am actively looking to buy. This will be my 3rd house, but I saw this coming and got out and went into rented. As every month passes, not only is what I can get for my money becoming more substantial but also the desposit is sat earning interest.
    Keep the right company because life's a limited business.
  • boinging_2
    Options
    Just out of interest - where did I misquote what you said?

:confused:
    Keep the right company because life's a limited business.
  • DreamBreaker
    Options
    Houses start at £122k where you live. You're being money saving with cheap bills etc. You're earning £40k. Surely that's under the 3times multiple with a half decent deposit that a lot of people quote as quite fair and sensible?

Maybe I missed something.

Don't waste your time carpetbelly, that is obviously some sort of idiot trying to misquote me!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure