Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

House Price Crash Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• m00m00
    m00m00 Posts: 1,755 Forumite
    Options
    "it's different this time" is generally used as a joke by property bears, as it's been one of the main justification from the HPI cheerleaders over the past 12 months, as to why the falls that are clearly happening, could never happen.
    It's a health benefit ...
  • SurreyNotSorry
    Options
    m00m00 wrote: »
    "it's different this time" is generally used as a joke by property bears, as it's been one of the main justification from the HPI cheerleaders over the past 12 months, as to why the falls that are clearly happening, could never happen.

I wasn't sure if "piece of fluff" was being ironic. I guess he/she probably was.

I think "it's different this time" is a justification for HPI from those of a more Bullish persuasion as justification for HPI Cheerleading. :cool:

Party's over folks, nothing to see here. Oh, and any BTL'ers, please form an orderly Q for the exit. - and carefull any rampant inflation, despite todays fabricated 2.1%, doesn't eat away any hard earned savings / STR fund ...
  • yanex
    Options
    With house prices its all reletive, generally the price of houses will always go up and it generally happens in 5 year cycles, They go up up up, level off, somtimes drop a little then go up. Usually where you hit a point where they have levelled and may drop you simply stay put for 2-3 years until you see prices move upwards again.

People who lose their money are those who decide to move (or have to) whilst the trend is going down.

So in the current climate, I would stay put and wait. There is a strong likelyhood the Bank of england will be forced to drop interest rates a couple more times over the next 6 months to avoid the economy sliding in to recession, this should kick start prices slowly going up again....

Wow, now isn;t that deep for my first post on MSE....

MSE newbie.
  • dolce_vita
    dolce_vita Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Options
    yanex wrote: »

......There is a strong likelyhood the Bank of england will be forced to drop interest rates a couple more times over the next 6 months to avoid the economy sliding in to recession, this should kick start prices slowly going up again....

MSE newbie.

Welcome to the forum.

If, as you say, prices will start going up again in 6 months, can you explain why this is a good thing?
    dolce vita's stock reply templates

#1. The people that run these "sell your house and rent back" companies are generally lying thieves and are best avoided

#2. This time next year house prices in general will be lower than they are now

#3. Cheap houses are a good thing not a bad thing
  • Turnbull2000
    Options
    With house prices its all reletive, generally the price of houses will always go up and it generally happens in 5 year cycles, They go up up up, level off, somtimes drop a little then go up. Usually where you hit a point where they have levelled and may drop you simply stay put for 2-3 years until you see prices move upwards again.

People who lose their money are those who decide to move (or have to) whilst the trend is going down.

So in the current climate, I would stay put and wait. There is a strong likelyhood the Bank of england will be forced to drop interest rates a couple more times over the next 6 months to avoid the economy sliding in to recession, this should kick start prices slowly going up again....

MSE newbie.

Can't see that happening. Lowering rates to kick-start house prices will also kick-start inflation. Rates are and still remain historically low, and trying to wring out every last ounce of affordability by dropping rates further will reduce the scope for any necessary rises in future. It's like trying to prolong the painful life of a mortally wounded animal. Futile.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • DreamBreaker
    Options

MSE newbie.

Thanks, thats everything I have been saying since I first posted on here!:beer:
  • boinging_2
    Options

MSE newbie.

Welcome!

Problem is even with lower BOE rates which banks can afford to lend money at the rate they have been. Currently £56bn of tax payers money used to support Northern Rock. All lending house are going to be tight on lending, so the ability to buy won't be there even with rate cuts.
    Keep the right company because life's a limited business.
  • mr.broderick
    Options
    Thanks, thats everything I have been saying since I first posted on here!:beer:

Yeah it will be because it's your alias...:cool:
  • DreamBreaker
    Options
    Yeah it will be because it's your alias...:cool:

No way!!! It really isnt!!! I wish I could prove it!!!
  • dolce_vita
    dolce_vita Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Options
    How you doing mr.b

Long time no hear.

Is that right you've just bought a house?
    dolce vita's stock reply templates

#1. The people that run these "sell your house and rent back" companies are generally lying thieves and are best avoided

#2. This time next year house prices in general will be lower than they are now

#3. Cheap houses are a good thing not a bad thing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport