Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

House Price Crash Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• beingjdc
    beingjdc Posts: 1,680 Forumite
    Options
    xarjia wrote: »
    hey guys.

look at this. worrying news

a report out today says house prices in London have fallen by an average of £28,000 in the past month

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/money/property_and_mortgages/article3059977.ece

You mis-spelled "brilliant news" ;)
    Hurrah, now I have more thankings than postings, cheers everyone!
  • moneymare
    Options
    Some "House Price Crash".

Bought my house for £137k 18 months ago.
    Next door neighbour has just put his on market (identical property in similar condition) - £164950.

Now there's no saying he will get asking price for it, or indeed it will sell in the near future but that's some increase in anyone's language.
    WARNING!
    Alcohol can make you think you are more interesting and attractive than you actually are.....
  • m00m00
    m00m00 Posts: 1,755 Forumite
    Options
    no one is disputing there has been rampant house price inflation in the past 18 months in many areas. What few people are disputing now, is that it won't continue. Who's to say your neighbour wouldn't have listed his at 180k 3 months ago ?
    It's a health benefit ...
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    moneymare wrote: »

Next door neighbour has just put his on market (identical property in similar condition) - £164950.

Now there's no saying he will get asking price for it, or indeed it will sell in the near future but that's some increase in anyone's language.

You're expecting a crash starting roughly now to have affected the past 18 months?
  • hgllgh
    hgllgh Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options

If that's the first asking price then an eventual selling price in the current market may be close to around 140K.... propertysnake.co.uk
  • moneymare
    Options
    No, 2 other properties have sold at asking price in the same cul-de-sac over last 6 months for between £150-£155K.

My view is that house prices have probably levelled-off in the last 3 months, but given another cut (or two) in interest rates at the start of next year, and they will grow again.

There will be no crash, IMHO
    WARNING!
    Alcohol can make you think you are more interesting and attractive than you actually are.....
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    More than a fifth of people who came off fixed-rate mortgages this year have found it hard to meet higher repayments, the Bank of England says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7147563.stm
  • dolce_vita
    dolce_vita Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Options
    No, 2 other properties have sold at asking price in the same cul-de-sac over last 6 months for between £150-£155K.

My view is that house prices have probably levelled-off in the last 3 months, but given another cut (or two) in interest rates at the start of next year, and they will grow again.

You are in for a rude awakening.

And a lesson in economic cycles.
    dolce vita's stock reply templates

#1. The people that run these "sell your house and rent back" companies are generally lying thieves and are best avoided

#2. This time next year house prices in general will be lower than they are now

#3. Cheap houses are a good thing not a bad thing
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I think what you mean is ' I bought a house 18 months ago so I don't want a crash' :rolleyes:
  • hgllgh
    hgllgh Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options

The US has had 2 or 3 interest rate cuts ... still crashing :T
    what makes you think its different here where our property is 50% more over valued than the US :confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure