Difference in Water Rates

I found out a couple of Days ago I am paying more a year in Water Rates then my next door Neighbour. We are in a Semi-detached. When we moved into the house we found out that we were in Band C with our Council Tax. Every House in the street was band B. It took me 2 years to get it changed to Band B. When I won on the Council Tax. I phoned Seven Trent. But got no where. But now I know my Neighbour is paying Less. Does anybody no if I have a chance of claiming back the difference


  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,789
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No chance.
    See https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/households/your-water-bill/unmetered/

    Your water rates are based on the rateable value of your house last updated in 1990.
    It is not possible to appeal your rateable value.

    Your house must have had a higher rateable value than your neighbours for some reason which would explain why it initially had a higher council tax banding.
  • CIS
    CIS Posts: 12,260
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The RV used for water rates was that set in 1990, so pre-council tax. The current banding under council tax is not relevant to the calculation.

    If it can be shown that the RV would have changed significantly then they may be able to adjust how it is billed to compensate but the RV itself will not be re-assessed. https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/households/your-water-bill/unmetered/
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,034
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    As said above, the RV cannot be changed. It is also pertinent that the RV was based on the rental the property could command; not the sale value.

    Bearing in mind that the last general assessment of RV in England was 1973,(or before 1990 if built after 1973) the probable reason you had a higher RV was that your house was more attractive as a rental property than your neighbours.(in 1973) Perhaps a larger garden? a garage? central heating, even new kitchen or bathroom?
    The rateable value was a local authority!!!8217;s assessment of the annual rental value of an individual property. Rateable value assessments were last carried out on households between 1973 and 1990. Each local authority took a number of factors into account when it set rateable values. These included the size and general condition of the property and the availability of local services. We have no specific details about how properties were assessed and cannot tell you why similar properties have a different rateable value.
    Rateable values were last updated in 1990 so any changes to your property since then will not be reflected in your rateable value. All properties built since 1990 have a water meter installed.
    Are you paying for Surface Water Drainage(SWD)?(Severn Trent call it waste water) Can you claim relief if you are paying SWD?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards