PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We're Losing Money on our Florida Property - help!!!

Options
Hello,

We bought a seven bedroom Florida property off plan and have been renting it out for the last year and a half but the management company are useless.

We've had tenants stay just for a few days for a party who break things and leave stains on the sofas etc but the management company weren't taking any of their deposit from them.

We had been bearly getting enough people stay in the property in order to pay the mortgage each month so decided to put it on the market but it isn't selling.

We would switch to a better management company but as the property is up for sale different management companies aren't interested in taking us onboard.

Was just wondering if there's any others on here in the same situation or if anyone has any advice as to what we can do.

Comments

• BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We bought a seven bedroom Florida property off plan and have been renting it out for the last year and a half....

We had been bearly getting enough people stay in the property in order to pay the mortgage each month so decided to put it on the market but it isn't selling.....
    What market did you expect a 7 bed house to rent to?
    How far off being in negative equity (or "under water") are you?
    Given the house is about 2 year old, is the mortgage about to go up?
    Where about is it, Florida is a reasonable size? I ask that as I understand that the market is pretty bad in some places.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • Griptool
    Options
    the market is pretty bad in some places.:rotfl:

Speculative investments in illiquid assets are never the smartest play, I would get out now at any cost - florida has got a long way to go before it hits bottom.

'Craig Studnicky, of International Sales Group in Florida, another property broker, said: “We are having to cope with five or six years of oversupply." '
  • macaque_2
    macaque_2 Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Options
    You have two choices; sell up or sit it out. If it was me, I would slash the price and cut my losses as quickly as possible. The idea of toughing it out for the next 20 years trying to break even sounds like a recipe for an unhappy life.

I think you have guts for telling it like it is and others may have cause to thank you for this. TV programmes which play up the glamour of buying abroad are the financial equivalent of drug peddlers. Owning property abroad is a huge risk. As an absent landlord you are a sitting duck for changes in property laws, tax laws, crooked agents and bad tenants.
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What on earth do you need a seven bedroom house in a foreign country for? There are far easier ways to throw your money away. Sell for what you can and reinvest a little more wisely.
    Been away for a while.
  • BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Griptool wrote: »
    Speculative investments in illiquid assets are never the smartest play, I would get out now at any cost - florida has got a long way to go before it hits bottom.

'Craig Studnicky, of International Sales Group in Florida, another property broker, said: “We are having to cope with five or six years of oversupply." '
    Like I said, it varies from place to place. Other parts of Florida only have 2 - 2.5 years of inventory on their books, IIRC. ......:eek:
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • vickyj
    vickyj Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    What on earth do you need a seven bedroom house in a foreign country for? There are far easier ways to throw your money away. Sell for what you can and reinvest a little more wisely.
    WOW tell op they were stupid and then patronise, how helpfull you are :rolleyes2
    :D The glass is always half full, no exceptions !!:D
  • plane_boy2000
    Options
    Op - I agree with others on here who advise you to get out ASAP. Unfortunatly there is massive oversupply in this market so as a resale you are competing against the new builders who will offer furniture packs and lot sof other incentives. The market there is already in free fall so you will really need to be honest with the agent and tell them you need it gone ASAP so are open to offers. I think if you dont get rid of it soon you will be sat on it for at least 5 years before the price bounces back to anything like its worth today, and by then you will have probably been subsidising it and spending money on renovation / repairs etc.

Feel free not to answer, but out of interest how much does a 7 bed property cost?
  • SquatNow
    SquatNow Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    Options
    OP - Sorry, but you fell for a real estate con. A lot of people have. You were sold a property on the basis of overstated rental returns.

You need to accept that your going to lose a shed load of money, and sell immediately to cut you losses.

You're chasing a market down so you need to knock enough off the price to get an immediate. Every day you wait means you get even less for the property.

Cut your losses and move on.
    Bankruptcy isn't the worst that can happen to you. The worst that can happen is your forced to live the rest of your life in abject poverty trying to repay the debts.
  • dolce_vita
    dolce_vita Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Options
    A classic case of greed and stupidity.
    dolce vita's stock reply templates

#1. The people that run these "sell your house and rent back" companies are generally lying thieves and are best avoided

#2. This time next year house prices in general will be lower than they are now

#3. Cheap houses are a good thing not a bad thing
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    vickyj wrote: »
    WOW tell op they were stupid and then patronise, how helpfull you are :rolleyes2
    OP was stupid, and greedy. You might not like my advice, but its a shame nobody else was "patronising" before such an unwise investment. I see you have nothing useful to say to OP; perhaps you could pat them on the back and say "there there", in an unpatronising manner of course.
    Been away for a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport