Booking myself in for an independent future

Options

Comments

• Hazelnutty
    Options
    Sometimes we have to relax the purse-strings and it sounds as if your money was well-spent!
    Choose kind:)
  • BookmobileBadGirl
    Options
    I am under £65,300 \ :) /

Have had an admin heavy week;

- got a credit card for “just in case”, I asked for £1,000 and they gave me £5,500
    - have opened a Marcus saving account and transferred my £10,000 from my current saving account where it earns only 0.25%
    - started planning my budget for my new income, so just waiting for January for that to kick in now
    - my current five year plan ends in three years so have been planning to ensure that I will be so financially secure by the time I am 35
    Mortgage £75,300 (December 2016) Mortgage Free Date December 2051

Mortgage £9,650 (April 2024) Mortgage Free Date August 2024
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,619 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Good news on your new figures :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • BookmobileBadGirl
    Options
    Finally made my overpayment for January

Mortgage payment: £248
    January overpayment: £302.08

Remaining mortgage £64,800

• beanielou
    Options
    Finally made my overpayment for January

January overpayment: £302.08

Remaining mortgage £64,800

Great figures :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• BookmobileBadGirl
    Options
    First day of the month so payment and overpayment have been made

Overpayment: £319.20

• beanielou
    Options
    First day of the month so payment and overpayment have been made

Overpayment: £319.20

Well done :j :j

• BookmobileBadGirl
    Options
    I have updated my SOA to reflect my new income

However I have decided to keep my overpayments at around £300 a month as I now intend to go do an MBA part time. I would love to start it this September but I can’t really afford it so will instead start next September and be confident I have the money ready.

Even with my normal payment and just the £300 overpayment I should be knocking £5,000 off the mortgage each year

• BookmobileBadGirl
    Options
    I managed to miss doing a March update but I overpaid by £309.24,

On to April now, have so far overpaid £257.26.

Hopefully I will be able to top that up to £300 by the end of the month, but I have booked a holiday to Budapest on my credit card so am just focusing on paying that back.

• BookmobileBadGirl
    Options
    Hello Diary!

My university announced a big restructure, that has been going on for months and will be going on for the next year, so I have switched from focusing on overpaying to saving up money just in case.

I have still been overpaying by £102 each month to round the payment up, but nothing else.

I was feeling a bit dispondent this morning about the lack of progress on the mortgage so looked up where I would be if I had never made overpayments. It would have taken me eight years to get my balance down to where it is now with just the minimum payment, I have done that in two and a half.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport