MMD: Can I keep grandma's cashback?

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Kazt2006 wrote: »
    I agree the account should be in her name with you as an authorised signature if this is what is needed. Legally this may have to be via Power of Attorney if she is not capable of giving consent. The cashback and interest should stay in the bank account with her money - you taking it is theft!
    I'm really shocked that MSE Naomi has actually posted about such a dreadful misuse of an elderly person's money.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Absolutely not!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    These MMDs are getting more and more unbelievable.
    Or there are more and more unscrupulous, mean people around.
    Do you remember a few weeks ago where there was the usual chorus of "unbelievable" to a MMD and the person that asked it registered on the forum? All of the "unbelievable" posters scarpered from the topic at that point.

I hope that happens this time.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Do you remember a few weeks ago where there was the usual chorus of "unbelievable" to a MMD and the person that asked it registered on the forum? All of the "unbelievable" posters scarpered from the topic at that point.

I hope that happens this time.
    Me too.

So that the person who asked this question can actually read and understand that what they are doing is wrong.
    And not just morally wrong.
  • stmartinsdiver
    Options
    I've heard the term 'would rob his/her own grandmother' used in jest to describe the how untrustworthy someone was - if this is for real you should just be pleased for the opportunity to put a few extra £££'s into your grandmothers account as a nice surprise for her.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,784 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What does grandma think? Mine would have been ashamed of me for not telling her, but if I'd been honest from the start she'd have quite likely have told me to treat myself with some of the cashback for helping her out.
    Bank account should definitely be in her name though as aside from anything else the account is legally yours. Should you be run over by a bus or otherwise indisposed, grandma would be completely stuffed.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,988 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If I had explained to my grandmother that I was setting up an account with her and going to look to reduce all her outgoings, I'm sure she would have insisted I keep the cashback.

Though it would probably have taken half an hour to explain cashback!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    If I had explained to my grandmother that I was setting up an account with her and going to look to reduce all her outgoings, I'm sure she would have insisted I keep the cashback.

Though it would probably have taken half an hour to explain cashback!
    Yes, but there's a big difference between your Gran telling you to keep the money you've saved on her behalf and asking a bunch of random strangers on t'internet if they think it's OK for you to keep it.
  • kkgree1
    kkgree1 Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have POA for my mother-in-law (MIL) and am shocked by the nature of this question as it goes against all the advice for attorneys!

However, I do a lot of my MIL's shopping online through my own Topcashback account but to me this is different as I could just order via the websites direct. I have received a lot of Cashback this way but my MIL is fully aware of it which I think makes a difference too.
    Mortgage free wannabe
    Mortgage (November 2010) £135,850
    Mortgage (November 2020) £4,784
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 February 2018 at 2:40PM
    Options
    Ah, this takes me back to my youth, when saddoes working for Jackie, Oh Boy! and similar toilet paper publications would sit around dreaming up "problems" so they could write "answers" to them. Could do better, MSE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure