All 4 and 4 HD leaving Freesat

Comments

• Well that's a big shame. We are big FreeSat fans, living in the bottom of a steep valley means there is no Freeview here. I even had the Ariel taken down last year, and the house looks so much better without it :-)

FreeSat has saved us ££££££ over the years, I hope other HD services don't pull out too.
    The move puts Freesat at a serious disadvantage to the UK!!!8217;s other subscription-free platforms, Freeview and YouView, both of which Channel 4 is an investor in and feature the entire line-up of free-to-air HD channels and all PSB catch-up apps.
  • Any recordings set for these channels will need to changed.

Glad I checked. I would have hated to miss the new series of Homeloand, and the wife would have been glum without a weekly dose of George Clarke. "Incredible!, Amazing!!!, The best blar I've ever seen" :rotfl:

Apart from that, I don't think we'll miss any other recordings.

Interestingly my FreeSat box still has C4HD listings for Friday the 23rd Feb, but it is blank beyond that :-(
  • puballday wrote: »
    Oh wait, looks like your right colin! all4 is the channel 4 catch up app so looks like that is going!

So Panasonic have pulled the ITV Hub from their TV's and now Freesat have lost the All4 catchup, similarities to the Discovery/Sky spat over pricing.
  • It won't last..
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Do we know if it is just Freesat or Freeview as well?

It's just Freesat, that's quite an assumption to make!
    not the beginning of an exodus!

1 channel, calm down!
    I wish there was a full statement somewhere that said why it was 'leaving

See post #11.
    Channel 4 released a statement saying that Freesat had changed their 'carraige charges' (fee a broadcaster pays the platform (Freesat in this case, Freeview for example will be paid separately) meaning that it would cost them more, and they don't want to pay it.

I'll miss 4HD alright, SD channels look terrible to me these days. ITV could get away with it as a business decision, but with 4 having responsibility to the public, they should have all their channels on Freeesat, since not everyone has access to Freeview. Use the money they bought 'Bake Off' with and give it back to the Beeb, or just stop making Geordie Shore!
  • almillar wrote: »
    but with 4 having responsibility to the public, they should have all their channels on Freeesat, since not everyone has access to Freeview. Use the money they bought 'Bake Off' with and give it back to the Beeb, or just stop making Geordie Shore!
    Channel 4 is suffering from the decline in Tv advertising and has had to reign in it's spending accordingly. Since all the channels removed have a Standard Definition version which will remain, their PSB responsibilities are maintained.

However, as I said earlier in the thread, I expect this will be a temporary hiatus from the Freesat platform.
  • Hi all

If anyone's considering changing tv package based on these changes our guide should help

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/cheaper-sky-cheap-cable
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2018 at 2:04PM
    Ch4 HD is still FTA (free to air) via satellite. So if your Freesat box or Freesat TV has a non Freesat mode you can still view it. If you have a FTA receiver or Humax Foxsat HDR or Goodmans GS104TRH Freesat box you can still view it and record it. Other boxes you should be able to just view it.

11126V, 22000, 5/6
  • Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Ch4 HD is still FTA (free to air) via satellite. So if your Freesat box or Freesat TV has a non Freesat mode you can still view it.
    True. Won't be on the EPG though.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    True. Won't be on the EPG though.

Clearly not on the Freesat EPG, but there are others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure