Making changes to become debt free

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 February 2018 at 4:56PM
    Options
    Just popped in to say hi and to try not to worry (easier said than done, believe me I know) in the grand scheme of things although you feel your debt is too high it;s not that high that you cant sort it out, you have recognised this before its gets way out of control and are planning to do something about it,I wish I had had the foresight to do this before my debt got to where it is now,I;ve now gone down the DMP route simply because I have no choice as my debt is unmanageable by myself,so try to make a good plan and try not to panic, read peoples diaries on here and the posts on the DFW board and you will pick up loads of advice, good luck
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Oops forgot to say Im not sure whats going on with all the numbers in the post if you use any punctuation,I thought it only happened if you edited your post for some reason but it seems completely random,I do know its driving me mad though,I use an iPad so maybe its something to do with the devices we are using
  • Poppy1984
    Options
    Thank you for replying, I feel flat today, I cant think of any other money making or saving that I can do right now. Need to get some food shopping so trying to do a meal plan. So tired as I've not slept for a few nights for worrying
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Poppy1984 wrote: »
    Thank you for replying, I feel flat today, I cant think of any other money making or saving that I can do right now. Need to get some food shopping so trying to do a meal plan. So tired as I've not slept for a few nights for worrying
    I do feel for you,I’ve been feeling exactly the same over the last few weeks,coming here and posting on my diary has helped a lot and also asking for advice,you could post your SOA on the main DFW board and ask if anyone has any ideas on how you can save some money, also I’m learning that planning is the way forward and that every little helps,even if you only manage to pay a couple of pounds extra on a debt it’s a couple of pounds you no longer owe someone,maybe you need to stop looking at the thing as a whole and concentrate on baby steps. I am not worrying as much now as I was a few weeks ago as I now feel I can manage this,I take it one day at a time,so at the end of today I will sit down and think of all the bits that went well,for instance I still have my house and I can still put food on the table,no disasters happened today and tomorrow is another day,I distract myself by reading or coming on here and reading others diaries ( preferably ones that belong to people who owe the same as or more than me ) it really helps to how other people are managing their debts
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    The other post that I find inspiring is 11 years a slave my journey to be debt free from £103000 in debt,it on the main DFW board :)
  • Poppy1984
    Options
    I do feel for you,I’ve been feeling exactly the same over the last few weeks,coming here and posting on my diary has helped a lot and also asking for advice,you could post your SOA on the main DFW board and ask if anyone has any ideas on how you can save some money, also I’m learning that planning is the way forward and that every little helps,even if you only manage to pay a couple of pounds extra on a debt it’s a couple of pounds you no longer owe someone,maybe you need to stop looking at the thing as a whole and concentrate on baby steps. I am not worrying as much now as I was a few weeks ago as I now feel I can manage this,I take it one day at a time,so at the end of today I will sit down and think of all the bits that went well,for instance I still have my house and I can still put food on the table,no disasters happened today and tomorrow is another day,I distract myself by reading or coming on here and reading others diaries ( preferably ones that belong to people who owe the same as or more than me ) it really helps to how other people are managing their debts

Hi OBL
    Thank you for coming and taking the time to post on my diary. I think I will do that with my SOA. I love the diaries and am subscribed to and read loads I do find them very motivating and inspirational.
    x
  • Poppy1984
    Options
    Feeling a little more in control today, I know exactly how much money I have until pay day 15th March and I should be able to manage. Although I do feel slightly stressed at the thought of something unexpected coming up when I don't have any savings or an emergency fund. I have tried to put money aside for an emergency fund and do put £20 a month into an account but I always end up taking it back out before it mounts to anything!!
    My car is on its absolute last legs and is due its MOT this summer I am dreading it as 1 I know I wont have enough money to pay for the repairs and 2 there's no way on earth I can get a new car.
    There's a re occurring pattern here. I have put away £20 a month for the MOT but again keep taking it out when other things arise.
    Urgh I sound so pathetic I think the answer would be well STOP doing that!!!! The only thing I can successfully save money for is xmas and that's only because I have it in an account that I cant touch for a year but I cant do that with an emergency fund as I would need to be able to take money out of that if an emergency arises I suppose I could do it for my MOT though as I do know that's only once a year.......hmmm might do that actually
    Till haven't mentioned to friends about no longer buying gifts (giving money) at xmas and bdays but I know I need to.
    Still not sleeping and now Im poorly I always get ill when I get stressed and don't sleep
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Poppy1984 wrote: »
    Feeling a little more in control today, I know exactly how much money I have until pay day 15th March and I should be able to manage. Although I do feel slightly stressed at the thought of something unexpected coming up when I don't have any savings or an emergency fund. I have tried to put money aside for an emergency fund and do put £20 a month into an account but I always end up taking it back out before it mounts to anything!!
    My car is on its absolute last legs and is due its MOT this summer I am dreading it as 1 I know I wont have enough money to pay for the repairs and 2 there's no way on earth I can get a new car.
    There's a re occurring pattern here. I have put away £20 a month for the MOT but again keep taking it out when other things arise.
    Urgh I sound so pathetic I think the answer would be well STOP doing that!!!! The only thing I can successfully save money for is xmas and that's only because I have it in an account that I cant touch for a year but I cant do that with an emergency fund as I would need to be able to take money out of that if an emergency arises I suppose I could do it for my MOT though as I do know that's only once a year.......hmmm might do that actually
    Till haven't mentioned to friends about no longer buying gifts (giving money) at xmas and bdays but I know I need to.
    Still not sleeping and now Im poorly I always get ill when I get stressed and don't sleep

Morning!
    Is it an option for you to pay the £20 into an account and give the card to someone else? I've done this before, with a spare account that I have never set up online banking for so cannot transfer the funds back over. It's been given to various people in the past to keep safe i.e OH, parents, etc. I found it helped not being able to take the money straight back :)
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • Poppy1984
    Options
    Good idea!!! I might ask my brother x
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    HI Poppy

On the days you feel no-one is reading - look at the total views versus replies at the top of your diary - you are on 642 views... people are reading - but we call it lurking... as they don't comment.

Have you looked at the Make £10 a day challenge for other ideas on how to increase your income? It is better than basically staring at your debts and wishing they would disappear. You will get through this. I use the £10 a day challenge to help fund things that otherwise might be seen as luxuries eg presents etc. I still think you need to be careful how much you spend on presents - but must admit I have never stopped giving. My love language is giving and I would struggle to stop anyway. I do crafts though and make some of my presents.

There is a celebrations board with brilliant ideas on low cost presents. You tube is also full of low cost ideas on things you could make. You can make an effort and it not cost the earth and people won't mind too much. I had a friend with 8 kids - her kids rarely bought mine a present but it wasn't noticeable to other people as they always came with a card which could have had money in it - just usually didn't....
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £183,754 Equity 26.5%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £5.1K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.5K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport