We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Password reset questions and feedback

Comments

• JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,653 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Pet50 wrote: »
    It doesn't recognise my email. What do I do next? Contacted the administrator, got this thread. Still doesn't work

I suspect you’re using google chrome. It accidentally prefills the email address with the wrong information. Try again but make sure you have every field filled correctly.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 17 February 2018 at 9:44AM
    Am I the only one who isn't bothered by spam? Usually it's pretty obvious and I just ignore. I can't honestly claim my day has been traumatised by it. ;)
    I find frequent password changes more irritating and those 'click on the image' captcha things to be the work of the devil. I have to go and get my glasses but I still never know whether 'click on the road sign' means bits of the pole showing in various segments or the corner of a car counts as a car or whether it's a store front or a garage lock up and if the latter, does it count? Etc etc.... Sometimes I get it wrong and find myself endlessly clicking through images. Perhaps I am 'not a real person' :(
  • pineapple wrote: »
    Am I the only one who isn't bothered by spam? Usually it's pretty obvious and I just ignore. I can't honestly claim my day has been traumatised by it. ;
    That's a testament to the people on this site who make it their business to remove Spam. The Spam which this site has been having difficulty with is not the kind which anyone will find difficult to distinguish from genuine posts. It's usually rubbish about getting passports etc and it will generally be posted across the whole forum multiple times. You say you are not bothered by it, but that means you haven't actually experienced it.

As for the password change, you are a little late commenting as the 90 day password re-set has now been rescinded.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,362 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper Second Anniversary
    pineapple wrote: »
    I still never know whether 'click on the road sign' means bits of the pole showing in various segments or the corner of a car counts as a car or whether it's a store front or a garage lock up and if the latter, does it count? Etc etc.... Sometimes I get it wrong and find myself endlessly clicking through images. Perhaps I am 'not a real person' :(

Oh, good, it's not just me then :D
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £920
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • pineapple
    edited 17 February 2018 at 11:54AM
    TYou say you are not bothered by it, but that means you haven't actually experienced it.
    I am on a lot of sites so of course I have encountered spam. Don't tell me what I have and have not encountered. Apart from being off the mark, it's a tad presumptuous. :huh:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 35,011 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    That's a testament to the people on this site who make it their business to remove Spam. The Spam which this site has been having difficulty with is not the kind which anyone will find difficult to distinguish from genuine posts. It's usually rubbish about getting passports etc and it will generally be posted across the whole forum multiple times. You say you are not bothered by it, but that means you haven't actually experienced it.

As for the password change, you are a little late commenting as the 90 day password re-set has now been rescinded.
    I've not noticed the spam on this website - other than the odd thread/post advertising stuff which I always report as spam - but on another forum I use regularly, it could be a nightmare.
    Pages and pages of rubbish, making the forum unusable as 'proper' threads just got lost among all the dross. :(
    So if it's anything like that on here, the board guides/posters are doing a great job to get rid of it before the majority of posters even see it. :T
  • pineapple
    Pollycat wrote: »
    but on another forum I use regularly, it could be a nightmare.
    Pages and pages of rubbish, making the forum unusable as 'proper' threads just got lost among all the dross. :(
    So if it's anything like that on here, the board guides/posters are doing a great job to get rid of it before the majority of posters even see it. :T
    Well put like that I agree. I can see that people would be put off by huge amounts. Where I've encountered it to that degree, it gives the impression that the forum is adrift/taken over - and unused by real people (I guess that last bit becomes a self fulfilling prophecy). If MSE is battling it to that extent they deserve our support though I'm still a bit lost as to how password re-sets help.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 35,011 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    pineapple wrote: »
    Well put like that I agree. I can see that people would be put off by huge amounts. Where I've encountered it to that degree, it gives the impression that the forum is adrift/taken over - and unused by real people (I guess that last bit becomes a self fulfilling prophecy). If MSE is battling it to that extent they deserve our support though I'm still a bit lost as to how password re-sets help.
    You may think that but I disagree.
    The forum I'm thinking specifically of is Tripadvisor.
    The boards I mainly used to look at when regular spam was a big issue were Air Travel and India.
    It wasn't unusual to log on in the morning and see - literally- hundreds of rubbish threads (about dross such as love doctors and the like).
    They were posting faster than members could report the posts as spam and thereby auto-delete them.

Those boards were most definitely used by real people - and still are.
    I don't use the site as much as I used to so I don't know if TA have resolved the issue or if it still exists and I'm just not seeing it because someone is dealing with it before I do see it.

I agree that the insistence of password changes seems odd as a reason to eliminate spam - but then again, I'm not techie.
  • Just managed to log back in after much fartinga round with this site. This has really put me off using this place anymore I'm afraid.

This flaming forum keeps asking me to reset my password every few days and It's going beyond a joke now.

I think I'll be staying away from now on as no other places carry on like this, Sorry.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,464 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Yes.
    Martin Lewis (who no longer owns or administers this site) has gained lots of money through selling it. Continuing to allow his name and image to be used gains him even more cash.

Why do you think he would now pay for security enhancements to a forum he hasn't used or read for around six years?

I'm frankly amazed that so many think Martin Lewis still has any active involvement in this site...

Shows how much you know ...

Made several forum posts last year.
    Indeed I spotted a typo of important significance in one of them and pointed it out to him.
    He thanked me for my feedback and corrected it.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.