PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenants should have 'default right' to pets.......

Options
....according to Labour.

Labour wants to strengthen the rights of tenants to keep a pet in their properties as part of a package of proposed animal welfare measures.

Some rental agreements drawn up by landlords insist on no animals.

Tenants can seek permission to keep pets but Labour wants a default right for them to do so unless there is evidence their pet will be a nuisance.

BBC News
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...

Comments

• Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Perhaps they should work harder, buy their own place then they can do what they want! And I say that as a dog owner (couldn't be without them) and I see the damage/mess they can cause.

Another crazy idea.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't see how it will change anything. Tenants can currently have pets even if the contract says they can't, in the same way they can change the locks even if the contract says they are not allowed.

The issue is whether by doing something their LL isn't happy with, they are risking getting an S21 at the end of their fixed contract.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 February 2018 at 8:37AM
    Options
    I think it could change things, not many know you can have pets, so we could see increased rental prices/larger deposits required as landlords seek to offset the perceived increase in risk (blanket allowance on pets).

The get out for landlords is dog size - I for instance have a 50kilo rottie cross, highly unlikely I'd be able to rent (and I have had issues in the past trying).

Just read the article, its more interesting seeing what Michael Grove is proposing - increasing animal abuse penalties. Great idea.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It obviously isn't widely known.

I wouldn't have challenged a 'no pets' clause as I'd not want to take the risk of an eviction. Its difficult enough to stay long term in a private rental as it is.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    The issue is whether by doing something their LL isn't happy with, they are risking getting an S21 at the end of their fixed contract.

Except Labour are also looking to scrap non-fault s21.
  • scottishblondie
    Options
    I've heard of many properties where the keeping of pets is not allowed by the terms of the lease (down south) or forbidden by the deeds of the property (in Scotland - the number and type of animals I can keep is defined in my deeds). Surely this idea would immediately come into conflict with that?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 14 February 2018 at 9:52AM
    Options
    ^ It is odd that leaseholders and tenants can have different rights despite being in identical properties in the same building.
    In some cases tenants are allowed pets where leaseholders aren't. Surely the lease overrides the landlords views.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,126 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 February 2018 at 11:05AM
    Options
    Give some people an inch, and they'll be wanting to move 3 alsatians into a one bed 4th floor flat.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ^ It is odd that leaseholders and tenants can have different rights despite being in identical properties in the same building.
    In some cases tenants are allowed pets where leaseholders aren't. Surely the lease overrides the landlords views.
    It would, though such a discrepancy is presumably where the tenanted properties are let directly by the freeholder (e.g. social housing blocks where some people have exercised the right to buy).
  • Cuilean
    Cuilean Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I'm concerned by the vagueness of the description "pets" at the moment. A cat, dog, rabbit or hamster is one thing. What about these trendy pets like pigs and mini horses? I'm guessing landlords who have "No pets" clauses in their letting agreements have it there for a reason. I know I do. What about landlord rights?

I'm also worried about what else this will open the door to. Default right to smoking inside the house? Default right to loud parties every night? Can open, worms everywhere...
    © Cuilean 2005. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport