PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Ignorant Estate Agent - letter required?

Options
My buyers asked for a further reduction prior to exchange.

I emailed the estate agent saying 'no'; I even put it in capitals, bold and underlined!
The EA has chosen to ignore this (although has responded attaching the email) saying 'I think we need to renegotiate'.

The buyer's solicitor is now under the impression that I am willing to renegotiate.

Do I need to put this NO in a good old-fashioned letter, sent by Recorded Delivery?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would tell them via the solicitors.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I would tell them via the solicitors.

I already have done but they have chosen to ignore them as well.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Say you didn't realise the price was now flexible and, that being the case, it's gone up £10k (or whatever). The salesman (that's all they are, as is Tr*mp...) just want's his commission.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Margot123 wrote: »
    I already have done but they have chosen to ignore them as well.
    The buyers are ignoring what their solicitors are telling them?
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your estate agent sounds useless, and your buyers sound like chancers.

I think it's time to bin the current EA off, and appoint someone else. From your posts it seems increasingly unlikely that the current sale will happen.
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there a reason?
    Or are they just trying it on? I've heard that it's a very common trick.
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It sounds like they haven't ignored it, but are advising you to reconsider. Just keep saying no. They'll keep asking, your solicitor and estate agent will keep telling you they've asked. Eventualy one of you will fold - either you will agree to renegotiate or they will stop asking and just buy it or pull out.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    This has been ongoing for 6 months, it's a probate property so I don't even live there.

I'm sure the buyers haven't grasped the fact that I'm in the best of positions.
    There again, I don't know what carp the EA has been telling them.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My buyers asked for a further reduction prior to exchange.

I emailed the estate agent saying 'no'; I even put it in capitals, bold and underlined!
    The EA has chosen to ignore this (although has responded attaching the email) saying 'I think we need to renegotiate'.

The buyer's solicitor is now under the impression that I am willing to renegotiate.

Do I need to put this NO in a good old-fashioned letter, sent by Recorded Delivery?

Why haven't you picked the phone to the EA and discussed the matter fully?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 February 2018 at 11:00AM
    Options
    I'm sure the buyers haven't grasped the fact that I'm in the best of positions.

What's the issue? If you've had probate granted then you are in a procedable position.

Remarket the property. This is the time to do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure