I've mucked up. Really badly.

Options

Comments

• Silver_Queen
    Options
    When I was on minimum wage for over a year after graduation and struggled to cover all my costs, I supplemented my income by selling all the stuff that I'd accumulated over 3 years of my degree (it was a lot!). I think my spend in my first year of uni on "random crap" was probably on par with how much you've spent in the last few months - I had a good job and spending issues. I can imagine that the amount of "stuff" you've now got sitting around the house is similar to how much I had, if not more. My main thing was make up and toiletries too.

The way I helped myself was to watch hundreds of minimalism videos on the internet which encouraged me to find fulfilment in having less rather than having more. I then decluttered like nobody has ever decluttered before but I never threw something useful away. I sold everything and anything I could lay my hands on, sometimes only just breaking even but it was worth it to get the item out of my life.

I know how hard it can be to stop spending but it's something that only you yourself can tackle. You clearly have underlying problems linked to spending so it's important that these are addressed as a priority.

Good luck.
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Look whats done is done, how to manage it from now on is important.

Make a plan if you like, if your OH asks why your returning the stuff just say your doing it as it wont get used.

You say the Amazon stuff isn't in the boxes, are they not in the original box or is it the cardboard they were delivered in. Maybe ask on chat if its ok, they normally need to be returned in original packaging.
  • ohbumstoitall
    Options
    When I was on minimum wage for over a year after graduation and struggled to cover all my costs, I supplemented my income by selling all the stuff that I'd accumulated over 3 years of my degree (it was a lot!). I think my spend in my first year of uni on "random crap" was probably on par with how much you've spent in the last few months - I had a good job and spending issues. I can imagine that the amount of "stuff" you've now got sitting around the house is similar to how much I had, if not more. My main thing was make up and toiletries too.

The way I helped myself was to watch hundreds of minimalism videos on the internet which encouraged me to find fulfilment in having less rather than having more. I then decluttered like nobody has ever decluttered before but I never threw something useful away. I sold everything and anything I could lay my hands on, sometimes only just breaking even but it was worth it to get the item out of my life.

I know how hard it can be to stop spending but it's something that only you yourself can tackle. You clearly have underlying problems linked to spending so it's important that these are addressed as a priority.

Good luck.
    Thank you :)

I actually detest clutter and a minimalist life is something I aspire to. It's a vicious circle, I get extremely stressed surrounded by clutter which is one of the triggers that triggers a mood which makes me spend.

I'm going to start with the study and work my way round to the dreaded bedroom vanity and see what I can drum up. I mean, I'm hardly going to crack 10k but if I could give myself some wiggle room. I do have about £1500 on my HSBC credit card that I could transfer to the amex but that would require getting a new amex send to me (which I wanted to avoid).
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    Can you do a selling box, or selling corner? This is what I did and it really helped me see clearly what I had to sell and helped me clear out the clutter. I do find it incredibly calming to own less and know that everything has its place that it lives in. Takes me 20 minutes to tidy everything up now rather than the hours and hours that it used to take.
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • pennystretcher
    Options
    £10k in 2.5months? :eek:

Return what you can for a refund... ASAP.

For anything you can't return for refund, list in eBay or Amazon - close to price you paid if you haven't used it. Use sold listings in ebay for guidance or the other offers in Amazon. For cosmetics, if you have used any part of it (palettes etc) be honest and list for sale as such.

And get the credit card cancelled ASAP - especially now that you do not have it. Check your statements to make sure that no-one else has used it. Also remove details for every single website you've used the card in. No last minute buys while you are doing it either!!!!!!!!

Re OH, how he has not noticed all the stuff coming in, I do not know. But it sounds like you have had similar issues in the past...so... Sign up for counselling for compulsive shopping (that's what you are, a compulsive shopper) and consider handing all the finances to him. Say to him that you need only so much per month and that's it...? (and 'fess up and swear on your grave this is the last time..)

Wishing you all the best in your journey - please keep us updated on how you get on. Keeping my fingers Xed for you.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You should not cancel your credit card if there are any items you can return to the stores as they will refund on to credit card used to purchase.
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    You should not cancel your credit card if there are any items you can return to the stores as they will refund on to credit card used to purchase.

This!! Was just going to post the same thing before I got to the end of thread and saw this. Wait for any refunds to come back in before cancelling the card!
  • ohbumstoitall
    Options
    I've managed to find a few things I can return, not many at the moment I've located about £150 I can return. Then a fair few things are high value so their resale value is reasonably high. I was shattered last night so went to bed early but I'm going to keep plugging away. I've got a stack of boxes in the study full of clothes that needed sorting out so they're my first mission.
  • Hi ohbumstoitall,

Love your username :D

You sound a lot more positive today, which is great.

Small steps and take each day one at a time.

Will be following xx
  • ohbumstoitall
    Options
    It's the "safe for work" version of how I actually feel!

Thanks, I've got a long road ahead with this bloody 10k. Ugh. Maybe...just maybe this will finally teach me a lesson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure