Calculating unused SIPP allowance

Options
Hey,

I have used this link to calculate my unused SIPP allowance, but there are 2 outstanding questions.

http://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/interactive-calculators/carry-forward-annual-allowance-calculator

1. Since when and for what tax year is the £10,000 cap in place?

2. Does gross pension equal the amount that one can contribute? Eg, £40k gross pension means that is the amount I can still put into my SIPP or are there other adjustments?

Thank you

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Since when and for what tax year is the £10,000 cap in place?

Do you mean the Money Purchase Annual Allowance?

https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/about-pensions/saving-into-a-pension/pensions-and-tax/the-annual-allowance

The Money Purchase Annual Allowance was introduced on 6th April 2015 and was set at £10,000 gross p.a. The government has now reduced the MPAA to £4,000 gross p.a. which applies to contributions made from 6th April 2017.

See FAQ here under I have already accessed my pension

http://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/sipp/how-much-can-i-invest
  • caldi9
    caldi9 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks -

Does gross pension equal the amount that one can contribute? Eg, £40k gross pension means that is the amount I can still put into my SIPP or are there other adjustments?
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You cannot contribute more than you earn. If you earn £30k then that would be the limit you could contribute
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,178 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    caldi9 wrote: »
    Thanks -

Does gross pension equal the amount that one can contribute? Eg, £40k gross pension means that is the amount I can still put into my SIPP or are there other adjustments?

The £40K includes all contributions (at gross values) both by yourself and your employer to any of your pensions. Unused allowance can be carried forward.

The amount you put into your SIPP from taxed income is 80% of the gross contribution. The other 20% is refunded basic rate tax paid in by HMRC. So if you had no other pension contributions the £40K limit would correspond to a £32K contribution directly from yourself.

The earnings limit also refers to gross, you would pay in the net equivalent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure