Derry Girls

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
24 replies 3.7K views
CottaCotta Forumite
3.7K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
This has been a massive hit in Northern Ireland and across the UK, I seem to be the only one who finds it contrived, badly acted and very cringeworthy.

What am I missing with this programme?

Replies

• Nope, I agree with you
    NO MORE HANDWASH GLITCHES PLEASE :D:D
  • BigAl94BigAl94 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Agree 100 per cent - dreadful programme which reflected very badly on NI
  • steveympsteveymp Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chill people, I would be considered a grumpy old man these days but I loved it :rotfl: the acting could be a bit OTT in certain scenes but overall just enjoy it for what it is, 30 minutes of well written comedy :T
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • Zola.Zola. Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen it yet, but many in work say its good... hmm
    "Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist" 
    "The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary" 
    "The borrower is slave to the lender."
    "Money is not to buy stuff. Money is to buy freedom."
    "Every bit of savings is like taking a point in the future that would have been owned by someone else and giving it back to yourself"
    "Energy flows where attention goes"
  • LeothecatLeothecat Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the over acting but have to say I've enjoyed it.
    There are some really funny moments which CANNOT be said for Mrs Brown or The Hole in the Wall Gang. Now those are 2 shows which really are embarrassing and cringe worthy!
    The one with the house party was very funny as was the one with the "wee RA man" in the boot.
  • edited 9 February 2018 at 12:12PM
    elsienelsien Forumite
    26.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 February 2018 at 12:12PM
    I'm not 100% convinced by it, but I'd watch it over Mrs Brown's Boys any day.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Zola.Zola. Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather dig my eyeballs out with a spoon than watch Mrs Browns

absolute crap.

Oh look its a May Mcfettridge in a skirt again. Bore off! Sh1te :rotfl:
    "Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist" 
    "The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary" 
    "The borrower is slave to the lender."
    "Money is not to buy stuff. Money is to buy freedom."
    "Every bit of savings is like taking a point in the future that would have been owned by someone else and giving it back to yourself"
    "Energy flows where attention goes"
  • ChickabiddybexChickabiddybex Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭
    I love Derry Girls - maybe it's the 90s nostalgia I dunno, but I can look past the cringey acting. Plus, it gets a bit better as it goes along and it doesn't focus on the main girl as much and focuses more on the other characters. Tommy Tiernan is great and I love the nun at the school - and the girl with brown hair is fantastic! So funny.

The season finale was a real sucker punch. I love how they've dealt with the troubles being a backdrop of their lives but not the main plot of the show. I think it's quite an accurate way of showing things. The girls are just trying to have normal lives and go through normal teenage stuff. The last episode was haunting with the juxtaposition of the kids being kids but then the horrific news breaking.

I can't wait for season 2!
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • OakdeneOakdene Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me & my daughter have loved it, my daughter thinks I am going to be like the Grandfather when I am older!!
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    21.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Derry Girls - maybe it's the 90s nostalgia I dunno, but I can look past the cringey acting. Plus, it gets a bit better as it goes along and it doesn't focus on the main girl as much and focuses more on the other characters. Tommy Tiernan is great and I love the nun at the school - and the girl with brown hair is fantastic! So funny.

Yes, i'm with you - its the nostalgia element to it, and we think its very funny. Maybe its an age thing - i'm 48 and my wifes 45.

Would like to see Tommy Tiernan do more in it though.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Virgin Media & O2 launch Volt

Aims to boost mobile data & broadband speeds

MSE News

Cheap pet insurance

Top comparisons & hot deals

MSE Guides