Healthy Breakfasts

Options

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Two eggs scrambled, no sugar, glass of water or black coffe. Sugar free start to the day.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    Scrabbled eggs seems rather filling and not a particularly fast item to make, coupled with the fact that bread along with this is going to compound food intake.
  • M30
    M30 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I would recommend drinking a glass of water when you wake up. (our bodies are naturally dehydrated after the 8hr sleep) you will then feel that your not actually that hungry.

Porridge is great for breakfast - add in a few berries/banana (peanut butter if you like it - i find it filling)
    Smoothie, weetabix etc
    you could even have bacon and eggs - just don't have bread!
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    What's your job? If you're doing hard physical work then a big carb loaded breakfast probably makes sense. If you're doing a desk job then not so much.

You can make proper porridge in a mug in the microwave just as easily as the sachets, but without the added sugar they have.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,611 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm hungry again soon after a satisfying breakfast (slice of toast plus grapes) but simply don't eat until lunchtime.

I don't need to eat in between so i don't...

It's okay to be hungry, most of the time for me it's my brain asking not a genuine need from my body.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    you could measure out the portion of oats in the evening as well as the milk so all you have to do is mix the two together in a bowl and then microwave as normal.

Or you could use the convience method favoured by generations of Scottish farmers/housewives.

Once a week, make up a big pan of slightly thicker than normal porridge, using just water, pour the mix in to a drawer and let it set.

Then every morning, cut-out a chunk and heat it up ith a little milk or water and anything else you want to add with a bit of stirring, or if you want a change, try frying a slice.

fried-porridge.jpg

Surprisingly delicious - esp in bacon fat! :D

Also, slices can be cut and taken with you as a 'piece' to snack-on. So no need for expensive "cereal bars" and no more fat, sugar or salt than you feel you need to add yourself :)
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,210 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Get porridge oats, cook with water and a pinch of salt. Eat with added skimmed milk. You can put the oats on a pan and measure out the water the night before so you only have to cook it in the morning.

Add berries or a banana but not honey or sugar.

Oatabix with skimmed milk- or semi skimmed milk.

Put a slice of wholemeal bread in the toaster and it will cook while you are eating the cereal/porridge.
    Better for you and more satisfying than pancakes.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Plain porridge, very filling.
  • no.1swimmum
    no.1swimmum Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just use plain oats, but find plain porridge quite hard going, so normally add some fruit I have it with skimmed milk and a few frozen raspberries put them in the bowl in the microwave for a minute and a half, stirring half way through, keeps me going until lunchtime - and a lot cheaper than the satchets of porridge.
    Fibro-Warrior
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    After all this talk of porridge, I had some myself this morning!!

I don't use sachets, I don't use a microwave - I just cook it on the stove top in the old-fashioned way. If you put that on first, porridge for one is just about done by the time the kettle's boiled and the tea's made. It really isn't difficult or time-consuming. Quaker Oats have made a fortune out of convincing us that cooking porridge is beyond us. If I'm being really organised, I put the oats and the milk in the pan the night before and leave them in the fridge - I read somewhere that soaking the oats like that is better for you.

A big bag of rolled oats costs a fraction of the price of sachets etc.

The important thing is to use a non-stick pan so that you don't spend the rest of the day trying to clean it.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure