Road Traffic Incident and Police Scotland

Options

Comments

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't see any issue with the OP reporting it. It's better to have a record of it ASAP rather than be on the back foot if the other driver tries to report it as DWDCA. He didn't ask for a constable to come around the police made that decision themselves. So they don't think it's a waste of time. Who would I listen to - the police or a few people back biting on an internet forum? I'll give you a clue - it's not the latter.

if the OP had reversed into the main road and there was an incident, he would immediately been held at fault. Would any of you be prepared to indemnify drivers against that?

No, I thought not.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 February 2018 at 7:49PM
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Or look before you found yourself in a narrow stretch of road that wasn't clear.

Unfortunately I left my X-ray specs at home this morning so I couldn't see through the stone wall.

Often you encounter parents parked up in the lane with doors wide open trying to get their kids out and into school in the morning but you can't physically see them until you've turned into the lane hence why I always turn into the lane slowly which is just as well since there was a van coming at speed on the wrong side.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    When I come across a similar situation in my lorry I don't reverse either. That is because I cannot safely see what is directly behind me. You in a car can see what is behind you far easier therefore it is easier and safer for you to reverse. When the car driver bluntly refuses to I just sit there too and usually get my newspaper out to make the point.

Looking at your description it looks like you decided to turn into the lane where he was already in the point that was narrow and you should have waited until he'd passed that point to turn in. You think its wide enough for two cars to pass "if both drivers are careful" which suggests that it is quite narrow. He wasn't in a car, he was in a van with very limited visibility on his left side. His van is also wider than a car so it would make it even tighter for him.

Sorry but I'm with him. You decided there was enough room, he disagreed. He was already driving in the narrow bit, you chose to turn into the lane and create the situation. His "tearing towards you" as you describe could have been him trying to get through the narrow part quickly to save holding you up but instead of staying put on the main road where you were you chose to turn into the lane because you're either impatient or you're yet another of the countless car drivers I encounter every day who simply don't think further than the 3ft in front of them.

As he was able to get past you when you eventually decided to move a couple of feet then clearly there was nothing stopping you reversing. You deliberately chose to create the situation like most of those who post videos of their dashcams just so they have something to put on Youtube.

As for the photo or even the video he might have been taking, he can do whatever he likes with it. It was taken in a public place, its his property. He can make up a mocking montage and post a video of your stupidity on Facebook, Youtube or wherever for the whole world to see if he so chooses. You might end up in one of those UK bad drivers compilations that are on some Youtube channels. Nothing you can do.

Interesting so even though you are a professional driver you have such little faith in your own driving abilities that you think it is safer for someone to reverse out into a main road and into moving traffic.

You could have sat and done the Guardian cryptic crossword before I decided it was safe to reverse out on to that road it wouldn't have forced me to budge.

If my photo does end up in one of those montages it would be a very boring montage....car sits stationary on correct side of the road. Now if I had decided to reverse back on to the main road and caused carnage that would have made for a more worthy entry into the compilation.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately I left my X-ray specs at home this morning so I couldn't see through the stone wall.
    Streetview?
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep, OP at fault, turning blindly into a minor road.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    Yep, OP at fault, turning blindly into a minor road.

If you say so, I guess I will find out when I speak with the police tomorrow.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    Options
    If you say so, I guess I will find out when I speak with the police tomorrow.

Yep, course you will.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I don't get all the hate towards the OP ... the OP was on the correct side of the road; the van driver was proceeding at speed (subjectively) on the wrong side of the road.

OP ... was there any obvious reason why the van was on the wrong side of the road? Was he just giving parked vehicles excessive space whilst passing?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    I don't get all the hate towards the OP ... the OP was on the correct side of the road; the van driver was proceeding at speed (subjectively) on the wrong side of the road.

OP ... was there any obvious reason why the van was on the wrong side of the road? Was he just giving parked vehicles excessive space whilst passing?

I’m not sure why the van was on the wrong side. Often you do get cars parking in the lane even though there are double yellow lines but there weren’t any parked cars at this time.

Maybe he came out a drive or car park too fast or was swinging out to turn on to the main road. Who knows?

I wasn’t sure what kind of answers to expect, that’s the nature of public forums I guess. Maybe there are a lot of van drivers posting. :)
  • irc
    irc Posts: 23 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2018 at 10:10PM
    Options
    "OP ... was there any obvious reason why the van was on the wrong side of the road? Was he just giving parked vehicles excessive space whilst passing?"

Well we are still waiting for a streetview link to be posted but as the Op says this is a narrow lane near a school driving slowly in the center of the lane may be the safest place. Means there is more space to see kids emerging from between parked cars.

As for who was more at fault. Without video it's just a he says/she says as it depends too much on variables like relative speeds, exact road widths, vehicle widths etc. All else being equal I'd be reluctant to reverse a van in a narrow lane near a school with children in the area.

Had this not been two snowflakes one of them could have got out and assisted the other to safely reverse a few feet and clear the way for them and everyone else to go about their day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure