Road Traffic Incident and Police Scotland

Options
This morning I was involved in an incident where no one was hurt and no vehicles were touched. I was driving to work and turned from a main road into the lane where the office I am working in is based. My office is near a school so I always drive slowly and crawl into the lane because you often get parents parking in the lane with doors wide open trying to wrestle young children out the car.

This morning as I was turning into the lane I had to come to a complete stop due to a van driver tearing towards me on my side of the lane. The lane is wide enough to accommodate two vehicles passing each other if both vehicles are taking it easy.

He point blank refused to move and told me to reverse. I told him that you aren't supposed to reverse on to a main road. (This is road which is very busy during rush hour and has parents and school busses dropping kids off.) He said that it wasn't a main road which is BS. He became quite aggressive when I refused to reverse, even if I had decided to reverse I couldn't because of all the traffic, so I just put my car in park.

He got out his van and sat on a wall to finish his cigarette and then got his phone out to take a photograph of my car and text someone/play a game/whatever. I turned off my engine and took a note of his registration and the company's phone number. I wish I had just taken a photo.

Eventually he got back in his van and manoeuvred past me, then revered back to hurl some abuse at me. I think he had been working on his parting shot and was quite proud of it.

I was concerned about his photographing me and my car, don't know why he just gave me the creeps. When I arrived at the office and told my colleagues they said I should report it so I have. Now the police are coming out to see me. I feel a bit silly and like I am wasting police time.

What would you have done in that situation?

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'd have done exactly the same as you, whilst laughing at his small manhood :D
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd have made a 'for information' report to police so either

a) you've embellished the story to police so they're treating it as important enough to come and see you

or

b) the details you've passed to them add evidence for another offence he's committed

In isolation I'd have avoided it all by backing onto the main road rather than getting involved in a face-off
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »
    I'd have made a 'for information' report to police so either

a) you've embellished the story to police so they're treating it as important enough to come and see you

or

b) the details you've passed to them add evidence for another offence he's committed

In isolation I'd have avoided it all by backing onto the main road rather than getting involved in a face-off

I haven't embellished anything, that's what happened. When the person at Police Scotland asked if the other driver was being aggressive I said that I wouldn't go as far as to say he was being aggressive. When I eventually spoke with a police officer I did say that I was worried I was wasting his time and the officer was really nice about it. Maybe it's a slow week at the station.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well at least you might be ahead of him if he decides to report you...
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You say the lane is wide enough for two but you both decided to be awkward & risk a road rage incident. Madness.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 February 2018 at 12:05PM
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    You say the lane is wide enough for two but you both decided to be awkward & risk a road rage incident. Madness.

It is wide enough for two...just, if both vehicles are on the side of the road that they are supposed to be on which he was not. What is awkward about not wanting to reverse into rush hour traffic?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Well at least you might be ahead of him if he decides to report you...

I am a bit worried about him photographing me because I have no idea what he will use the picture for but I don't know what he would report me for....knowing the highway code perhaps?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »

Would the fact the van got past a stationary car not support that?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This morning I was involved in an incident where no one was hurt and no vehicles were touched. I was driving to work and turned from a main road into the lane where the office I am working in is based. My office is near a school so I always drive slowly and crawl into the lane because you often get parents parking in the lane with doors wide open trying to wrestle young children out the car.

This morning as I was turning into the lane I had to come to a complete stop due to a van driver tearing towards me on my side of the lane. The lane is wide enough to accommodate two vehicles passing each other if both vehicles are taking it easy.

He point blank refused to move and told me to reverse. I told him that you aren't supposed to reverse on to a main road. (This is road which is very busy during rush hour and has parents and school busses dropping kids off.) He said that it wasn't a main road which is BS. He became quite aggressive when I refused to reverse, even if I had decided to reverse I couldn't because of all the traffic, so I just put my car in park.

He got out his van and sat on a wall to finish his cigarette and then got his phone out to take a photograph of my car and text someone/play a game/whatever. I turned off my engine and took a note of his registration and the company's phone number. I wish I had just taken a photo.

Eventually he got back in his van and manoeuvred past me, then revered back to hurl some abuse at me. I think he had been working on his parting shot and was quite proud of it.

I was concerned about his photographing me and my car, don't know why he just gave me the creeps. When I arrived at the office and told my colleagues they said I should report it so I have. Now the police are coming out to see me. I feel a bit silly and like I am wasting police time.

What would you have done in that situation?
    Photography in public is perfectly legal. You have no recourse on that front.

The rest seems to be 50/50.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Would the fact the van got past a stationary car not support that?

Indeed he was able to get passed a stationary vehicle once he had backed up a bit and got on his own side of the lane.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure