What small mse things will you do this week? 05/02

Options

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,121 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 5 February 2018 at 5:53PM
    Options
    OK, Monday Money Savers, I'm back after a decidedly good day, to share my list:
    *An hour of free fitness clearing a big garden border followed by a brisk trot to the post box.
    *Jacket potato night tonight, so a cheap filling meal all round.
    *Laundry in washer, timer set for cheap tariff overnight.
    *Reconciled grocery budget & overall February budget. Sorted out a potential muddle.
    *Paid across funds to a CC (we only use it to maximise points for vouchers)
    *Paid 6 x 50ps into my sealed pot.
    *Paid another marmalade payment into Loan Pay Down Fund.
    *Checked online banking to see if cheque deposit & mr f's refund from Sainsbury's had arrived - nope!
    *Sorted out an application to HM Land Registry, which is necessary for the legal (wills) stuff we need to get done asap. Found out can apply for this info via simple downloadable form for a fee of £7,which is bound to be less than what the solicitor would charge if they have to get it for us.
    *Entered a prize draw.
    *Did 5 Onepoll surveys.
    *Cleared out my email inbox which was getting out of control - not money saving, but much less likely to miss something important if not full of masses of stuff I get sent 'for information' in my local political role. Good for reducing mental clutter too.
    *Sorted out a new car insurance policy. Had been with same provider for a few years & always phoned them at renewal time to ask them to match the online 'new customer' price, which they always did without any hassle, but the renewal price this time had jumped up quite a bit further. We haven't claimed, our circumstances haven't changed, so it felt like a bit of a p*sstake to be honest. Found another provider & have saved.......................£105. Doubtless they too will start with the unspecified above-the-rate-of-inflation increases this time next year, but for now, at least, I feel we have a fairer deal. Made the decision not to pay the whole sum up front to avoid interest charges. I usually do this, but we know we will have a legal bill at some point fairly soon & so I didn't want this month's emergency 'cushion' in my budget to dip too low.
    *De-flea cat. Found 3 phials of anti-flea gunk in cat cupboard, which was good, as it's so expensive to buy & I'd forgotten we had it. We will grab him later & get that applied. He was Mr Scratchy last night which we thought was ominous.
    *Knit more of the front of my jumper - it's sooooo cold this week & I just want to wear it!
    NOT MONEY SAVING:
    Having to throw a nearly-new pair of gardening gloves in the bin because of a rather disgusting encounter with some Stealth Poo.......I did stick them in a bucket thinking I'd soak them in bleach, but it was all so yukmongous I decided I'd rather buy a new pair. Obviously revenge from Cat when he spotted that flea treatment coming out of his cupboard instead of his usual 'Dreamies'.
    OK, must go & get my carrot mayonnaise made - have cut some parsley from the garden for it & will throw in some chopped apple too. Should be nice (& healthy) on a jacket potato with cottage cheese & salad.
    Stay warm,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Update:
    DawnW wrote: »

OK, today's plans look like this:
    OH will walk the dog, as walking helps his recovery :) I will probably go with him this afternoon if the weather is ok (if not the dog won't walk far anyway!) OH did both :) I got plenty of exercise shifting wheelbarrow loads of logs!
    Make some scones, and a loaf :)Done
    Get soup out of freezer for lunch :)Lettuce and potato, not my favourite, but it made a nice warming lunch :)
    Peg washing done last night out on line Done, very nearly dry, will finish off on airer overnight :)
    Shift the rest of the logs from the garage to the woodshed, while OH is out this morning. I don't mind doing it at all (if fact I will enjoy it), but he will want to help if I do it when he is here, and I don't want him to do anything to jeopardise his recovery. Done :)
    Also did my weekly litter pick along the front of our terrace, while I had my old outdoor clothes on.
    Check banks and update spreadsheet :)Done
    Some cleaning Kitchen and conservatory today
    Check for surveys Oops must do this!
    All food from home, thinking of making macaroni cheese for dinner :)Done, added some mushrooms and slivers of ham, yum!!

In other news, the cheque I wrote to the agency that issues trade cards for my brother's trade had cashed my cheque, so I got him to check the progress online. Apparently his card is ready to dispatch, so his quals were all in order :T He will now be able to go for better jobs - he started a temp post on NMW today, which is at least something, but if he has a trade he may as well benefit from it. He seems very pleased about this. So am I. It, and not me, will be his meal ticket going forward :T:T
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening all!

I came back from my mum's today with the pickings from a chicken we had for lunch which DS turned into coronation chicken for his lunch. Dinner tonight is a selection of 'picky' stuff from the Mr T YS cabinet, pork pies, pasta salad, houmous etc and I also got a couple of salmon fillets for 64p which I've put in the freezer. I'm not a great lover of salmon but it might be nice in pasta.

I collected the large clock that is going to be the basis of my sign for the craft fair, the bloke started rambling about where it came from, I didn't have the heart to tell him I'm taking it to bits and sanding the painted numbers off! I plan to create a document with my logo enlarged to the size of the clock to work out which size lazer cut letters I will need. I already have a tub of gold glitter I can use on them. I did have a weak moment looking at my mum's light up letter (I attached one to the outside of herChristmas present this year), but this way will cost a lot less.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • FatVonD
    Options
    Ally, I dreamed that yourself and the missus had a party and we all came up for it but I had a terrible bout of IBS and left a horrible mess in the loo. I guess I won't be getting invited again :D

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,915 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all,

Over the last few days I have;

Made some meals for the week using some leftover Xmas turkey.

Made some soup for works lunches.

Walked into town at the weekend rather than driving/bus. 4 mile round trip and lots of steps for my fitbit :)

Went for a run. Really enjoying getting out and about and getting fitter.

Payday so moved some money to a new emergency savings account I have set up with Tescobank, 1.35%. Hope to eventually keep £1k in there without touching it unless an emergency to save dipping into current account.

Driven economically and to the speed limit to maximise fuel economy. Filled up at Sains yesterday for the Nectar point draw but only managed to get 200 bonus points. Will need to think of 1 or 2 things to get from there to get the bonus as I don't normally shop there.

Researched 2 new tyres i'll shortly need through Blackcircles.com.

Log burner on rather than heating but I have turned it back on as of yesterday until this cold snap is over. Don't want my pipes freezing!

Lights off, candles on!

:)
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    FatVonD wrote: »
    Ally, I dreamed that yourself and the missus had a party and we all came up for it but I had a terrible bout of IBS and left a horrible mess in the loo. I guess I won't be getting invited again :D

I can recommend a good therapist. :p
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    FatVonD wrote: »

:rotfl:

I don't think that my dream book has a section for that but I'll check when I get home!!
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    Still in work... 2.5 hours overtime, yes please.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • FatVonD
    Options
    I fixed the fish tank filter (snail infestation) meaning that when the new one I'd just ordered to be picked up in store arrives I can get it refunded without even leaving the shop!

• determined_new_ms
    Options
    Morning :) Thanks for the well wishes - I did start my new job yesterday. First impressions are good :)

ha ha ha on the dream FVD! V open of you to share!

Dawn fantastic news! Fingers crossed for a swift improvement in the situation.

Quick post as need to get going on time! I was late to work on my first day! In fairness it was due to the traffic and snow but still!

* lunch & snacks ready - los again :D
    * lidl cheap porridge for b/f
    * get pork out of freezer to put in the sc tonight
    * NSD
    * cancelled audible - after getting some books last night!
    * make friends birthday cake tonight
    * will do some crafting with madam while that is in the oven ;)
    * load of washing
    * do a titchy bit of hw to keep on top of things as wel ;)

ok that'll do! Have a great day
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business