Cutting Down Alcohol Thread

Options

Comments

• lamarsi
    lamarsi Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all, I started on the 9th March said I’m going to do a month af so until midnight I think it’s sixteen.. oh I don’t know ...
    Wanted a drink tonight after a long hard weekend working over time , but I stopped and tried to think about what it was I really wanted, got myself a slimline tonic and I’m sat on the bed with a bag of crisps and my af drink. The feeling has gone. I’m not sure what it is, what it is we crave?. I’m just as relaxed without it, it doesn’t help me sleep cause I’m so tired recently I sleep anyway. Boredom could be one but that wasn’t it tonight. Dunno.
    Sorry for going on, but anyway
    16 I think for me now x
    get rid of all the pounds by summer !!
    weight loss 3/42 lb
    Debt from 1st March:
    Was -£8900 NOW-£5000 PAID- £3900
    Get rid of the weight, pay the debt, then get myself a campavan! :T
  • Baileysonice
    Options
    lamarsi wrote: »
    Hi all, I started on the 9th March said I’m going to do a month af so until midnight I think it’s sixteen.. oh I don’t know ...
    Wanted a drink tonight after a long hard weekend working over time , but I stopped and tried to think about what it was I really wanted, got myself a slimline tonic and I’m sat on the bed with a bag of crisps and my af drink. The feeling has gone. I’m not sure what it is, what it is we crave?. I’m just as relaxed without it, it doesn’t help me sleep cause I’m so tired recently I sleep anyway. Boredom could be one but that wasn’t it tonight. Dunno.
    16 I think for me now x

Yeah well done lamarsi. Urges can really catch you out thats for sure but the more you ignore them like you did tonight the weaker they get. Another smilie for the collection today :T:T:T
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,336 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning all - 23/21 for me please - I say that, but I'm planning at least one lunchtime trip for drinks with a work colleague and don't know which day it will be this week, but if it's today I'll come back and say (obviously) :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    13/14 for today please Baileys
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cathybird wrote: »
    Morning all - 23/21 for me please - I say that, but I'm planning at least one lunchtime trip for drinks with a work colleague and don't know which day it will be this week, but if it's today I'll come back and say (obviously) :)
    :D Isn't it great the way this thread has built in accountability. I love it!

I know there can be physiological cravings like the sugar etc but generally for the majority, I believe, it's a lifestyle thing. Just looking around at films, TV programmes, novels etc. people relax with a glass of wine. Back in the day, if a friend or a neighbour called round we'd put the kettle on now it's commonplace to offer a glass of wine. I've trained myself to look forward to settling down on the sofa with a cuppa when the working day is over (chocolate with it is optional;)).

No drinking planned today.

12/10 AFDs please Baileys.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    edited 26 March 2018 at 12:21PM
    Options
    21/28 for me today please.

Saturday turned into more of a drinking session than the nice meal that we'd planned. The trains were higglty pigglty due to engineering works and we didn't want to risk getting stranded in Glasgow, so stayed local. Visited 5 or 6 pubs, had one drink in each and walked between them so didn't get "drunk" as such, and ended up with a take away on the way home.

No hangover yesterday but did feel very bloated. Dusted myself off this morning and got back on the horse, no drink this week and this Sunday's planned session with my mate now looks unlikely as he's not been feeling too great recently (panic attacks) plus the planned venue burnt down midweek!

I really do just feel like staying off the drink altogether, I'm not enjoying it. I think it's going to be a "special occasions" thing from now on.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    15 please Baileys
    Arkers x
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 March 2018 at 3:23PM
    Options
    Oh no HB:( purely accidental though and if I know you, you didnt finish the glass like I fear I would have done :(

It didn't even cross my mind, Baileys, but it tasted sharp and sour/bitter, really nice, just the same. I just don't want to go back to that life, really.
    Wanted a drink tonight after a long hard weekend working over time , but I stopped and tried to think about what it was I really wanted, got myself a slimline tonic and I'm sat on the bed with a bag of crisps and my af drink. The feeling has gone. I'm not sure what it is, what it is we crave?. I'm just as relaxed without it, it doesn't help me sleep cause I'm so tired recently I sleep anyway. Boredom could be one but that wasn't it tonight. Dunno.

Habit. Self-indulgence. Sugar addiction. Needing a reward. Being brain-washed into believing we deserve a treat for getting through the day. As Baileys and Maman say, we're encouraged to think it's part of everyday life, too. Lots of reasons why we think a drink is the answer, when what we really want is just an instant self-serve mini-perk. Finding substitutes for booze to give us that is the answer and that varies from person to person.

One of the things booze doesn't do is help us sleep. It's the thing that everyone finds when they stop drinking - just like magic their sleep improves. Generally when we think, as drinkers, it's helping us sleep what we're actually doing is passing out. Not the same thing at all.

Really glad you've found that staying off the booze for most of the time is your preferred choice, FatRab. Breaking the daily habit takes quite a bit of self-control to begin with, but the quality of life after we've cracked it is well worth it. I wish I'd done what you're doing ten years ago and I'd be able to enjoy a drink on the high days and holidays too. Good on you.

25/31 please, Baileys.
    Better is good enough.
  • Paspatur
    Paspatur Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    26/31 please Baileys
    Honey Bear sorry to hear about your mistake!!!
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Good evening all 21/23 for today. xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income