Tom Tom announcement today re no more map updates

Options
124»

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    I can plan that route sitting here at home but I cannot have the whole route on one map whilst driving, that is the limitation of the system.

True. But you could download four maps covering your tour before you set off.

It is a limitation, but for something that is free and works worldwide, one that I am happy to put up with.
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VoucherMan wrote: »
    Some of us still prefer the 'older' tech. I much prefer the satnav that can be mounted somewhere on the windscreen and just does the job it was designed for. Not that I've ever tried it with my phone, I don't see the point. There are probably still a few of us out there without monthly smartphone bills, or even smartphones, so for us the mapping software wouldn't be free.
    It would work out cheaper to buy a budget smartphone (£50-75) and use that as a satnav. You can save offline maps so there would be no need for a monthly contract or data plan. It works instantly too. Can't believe people are still using old style satnavs and waiting ages each time after switching it on before getting going
    poppy10
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    I can plan that route sitting here at home but I cannot have the whole route on one map whilst driving, that is the limitation of the system.

Im trying (and failing) to imagine a scenario where you would need to see the whole route whilst driving :huh:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VoucherMan wrote: »
    Some of us still prefer the 'older' tech. I much prefer the satnav that can be mounted somewhere on the windscreen and just does the job it was designed for. Not that I've ever tried it with my phone, I don't see the point. There are probably still a few of us out there without monthly smartphone bills, or even smartphones, so for us the mapping software wouldn't be free.
    It works exactly the same. You can even get Tomtom or Garmin for a mobile phone. Even if you don't have a monthly smartphone bill there are free ones where you can download maps so you can use it offline.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 January 2018 at 4:29PM
    Options
    My 5+ year old Garmin does that.

If it connects to the Trafficmaster network and gets traffic data over the air then it only works on the major UK road network and that doesn't include anything like all main A roads, especially single carriageway ones and it certainly doesn't cover all but a handful of urban roads.

The only other option is via being online which either means connecting to your mobile phone by bluetooth or by paying a monthly subscription and using its built in "cellphone".

One thing I know for a fact your Garming can't do is allow you to enter in just the name of a shop and town and it take you there. On Google Maps on my phone I can put in say Tesco York, it'll give me a list of the Tesco stores, I can choose the one I want and it'll direct me there. And that is the problem traditional Satnavs face, the sheer amount of data available to smartphone navigation apps and how quickly they can have new functionality added which, if you have automatic updates turned on, happens without any input from you. Software updates are done without having to remember to go and update them as are the maps and the maps are also more up to date because there's not a quarterly or bi-annual release schedule for map updates. Google Maps had the new A1 route on from Leeming Bar to Scotch Corner over a year before Tomtom did.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    ...that doesn't include anything like all main A roads, especially single carriageway ones and it certainly doesn't cover all but a handful of urban roads.

Absolutely. Google Maps is unbeatable for showing real time congestion. I always use it before driving to the station. If the congestion is bad in the next village where I have to join the A road, I take a different route.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    chrisw wrote: »
    The (slightly) older models came with a map installed and you pay TomTom each time you want to update/renew the map.

The later models came with free lifetime updates so you just regularly plug the satnav into a computer and it updates the maps for no additional fee. It appears these won’t be affected, although it’s still not that clear.

I suspect the memory capacity issue is a bit of an excuse for where to draw the line, some might start to struggle but equally others could probably run new maps fine.

Thanks for the explanation, it seems a little clearer now.

My TomTom 820 was a later model which came with free lifetime updates so it appears I will still get them.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I highlighted this last year. As a point of interest my maps were supplied and Tomtom have since offered a deal to continue map updates which is odd considering they claimed lack of storage capacity as the reason to cease support.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5559713
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family