Tom Tom announcement today re no more map updates

Horrified to receive standard letter today saying they are immediately stopping map updates for lots of models .. including the "xl live iq routes" that i paid £150 for only last year .

They have very kindly suggested the current £229 model that i should buy now !!

I see bbc business website has this as a major story , with lots of angry customers.

Bit of a "tesco clubcard" moment i reckon.

Need Martin on the case ? !!

Comments

• I've just seen that news article, and the model I bought only last summer (Start 25) is indeed on the 'list of doom'.

I'm not clear on how much longer this SatNav will last in a useful working condition. Will it be OK but the maps will just get out of date over time (not a disaster, but certainly not what I thought I'd bought)? Will it just stop working the next time there's a software glitch?

I wondered whether I can reject back to the retailer (Halfords) on the basis that it has not - in the form it was designed to - lasted a 'reasonable length of time'.

Any other views welcome...
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    rbell2603 wrote: »
    I've just seen that news article, and the model I bought only last summer (Start 25) is indeed on the 'list of doom'.

I'm not clear on how much longer this SatNav will last in a useful working condition. Will it be OK but the maps will just get out of date over time (not a disaster, but certainly not what I thought I'd bought)? Will it just stop working the next time there's a software glitch?

I wondered whether I can reject back to the retailer (Halfords) on the basis that it has not - in the form it was designed to - lasted a 'reasonable length of time'.

Any other views welcome...

this is a software problem , not hardware , like most sellers , software is not covered under warranty
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It should continue to work ok, just as you say the maps will eventually be out of date. According to the BBC article Tom Tom say "We will continue to provide quick GPS fix updates so your device will continue to function as it does now."

And they can say all they want about how their explanation of "lifetime maps". They've allowed their product to be sold with this as a feature and on no product description does it state its dependant on what Tom Tom decide is the lifetime of your device, not the actual lifetime of it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Like compact camera manufacturers and watch makers thanks to smartphones standalone Satnav manufacturers such as Tomtom and Garmin are seriously suffering and this is an attempt to try to save what is inevitably a failing business model.

The problem they have is that everyone who has a smartphone or tablet can get mapping software for free that works just as well if not better than their standalone offerings so why would you spend £100 or more on a standalone Satnav when the phone in your pocket can do the same job at no extra cost?
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tarambor wrote: »
    The problem they have is that everyone who has a smartphone or tablet can get mapping software for free that works just as well if not better than their standalone offerings so why would you spend £100 or more on a standalone Satnav when the phone in your pocket can do the same job at no extra cost?

Some of us still prefer the 'older' tech. I much prefer the satnav that can be mounted somewhere on the windscreen and just does the job it was designed for. Not that I've ever tried it with my phone, I don't see the point. There are probably still a few of us out there without monthly smartphone bills, or even smartphones, so for us the mapping software wouldn't be free.

That said, I've no desire to upgrade as my Garmin still works just fine, apart from the odd nag when I turn it on about not being updated since 2011.
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 January 2018 at 10:05AM
    VoucherMan wrote: »
    Some of us still prefer the 'older' tech. I much prefer the satnav that can be mounted somewhere on the windscreen and just does the job it was designed for. Not that I've ever tried it with my phone, I don't see the point. There are probably still a few of us out there without monthly smartphone bills, or even smartphones, so for us the mapping software wouldn't be free.

That said, I've no desire to upgrade as my Garmin still works just fine, apart from the odd nag when I turn it on about not being updated since 2011.

the older tech is not going to be around long unless they adapt as connectivety between the phone and car is moving fast.

there is only a few uk adults without a mobile phone - 5% of the uk adult population according to ofcom.

probably is a way of using mobile phone navigation for free but when you can get 3gb of data for <£8 oer month probably not worth the hassle
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    VoucherMan wrote: »

There are apps where you can download the maps on wifi so you dont use your monthly data.
  • YOu can't compete with free, like Waze
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    You can't compete with free, like Waze
    You could certainly use 'better' to compete with 'free' ?!
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    try HERE WeGo or Waze on your smartphone?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure