Big torch under exhaust/car engine

Options
Hi Guys

I would like to know my rights with the dealer doing not doing the job properly.

Work was done on my car to change the oil pressure switch (2 months ago) and last week I found out though local garage that there was a big torch left under exhaust.
That torch is partly burnt and haven't approached the dealer to confirm because have confirm few other things before I approach them. Luckily there are no faults (visually) can be seen.

I will be doing a another visit to local garage to confirm there is no other major issue because of that torch.

Please can someone with good knowledge help me out with advice on how to get dealer pay for this inconvenience. I am already in dispute against the dealer (raised with Motor Obusdman) for not doing the job properly at first instance and charging for the job which was not required at all.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Guys

I would like to know my rights with the dealer doing not doing the job properly.

Work was done on my car to change the oil pressure switch (2 months ago) and last week I found out though local garage that there was a big torch left under exhaust.
    That torch is partly burnt and haven't approached the dealer to confirm because have confirm few other things before I approach them. Luckily there are no faults (visually) can be seen.

I will be doing a another visit to local garage to confirm there is no other major issue because of that torch.

Please can someone with good knowledge help me out with advice on how to get dealer pay for this inconvenience. I am already in dispute against the dealer (raised with Motor Obusdman) for not doing the job properly at first instance and charging for the job which was not required at all.
    What do you want to happen? What losses have you incurred as a result of the torch being left there? It's been there two months and unsurprisingly in what is a hot zone, it is now a scorched torch, but if there's no damage to anything around it and your car has functioned perfectly well for the last two months, I'm struggling to see what the problem is.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No compensation for the torch unless it caused damage which is extremely unlikely if it was left sat on the exhaust. What makes you think that the job they did wasn't required? If you're referring to the oil switch just because it makes the oil light go on and off doesn't mean it isn't faulty. They can also leak oil as well, not just stop turning the warning light on or off.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    . What losses have you incurred as a result of the torch being left there? .

Increased fuel consumption due to the extra weight ;)
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got a little collection of tools that mechanics have left in various nooks and crannies of my cars over the years.

Mostly spanners and screwdrivers but I did get a useful little rechargable torch once that I used for many years before its cells died - At least that indicated they did a proper job when it came to inspection.

Worst was the mole wrench hung on the triangular body of my Saab's water pump. That was my own faut though. I'd driven for several months, studiously ignoring the top-end death rattle, before finally having a 'so that's where I left it' moment! :D
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did an oil switch on someone's car recently and have had nothing but aggro from them, accusing me of all sorts.

I've recently found out that I'd left a torch (expensive, quality, one) on their exhaust which they've found but are making no attempt to return to me.

Can I report them for theft by finding?
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I buy 13mm sockets in bulk because every time I work on a car one of them disappears into the engine bay never to to be seen again.

I am guessing it is a magnetic torch that they slapped onto the bottom of the car whilst they were working on it. Surprisingly easy to forget you have done so particularly if the batteries run out whilst you are working.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So a garage found the torch and your going to take it to another (different) garage for them to tell you there is no damage?

If there was damage wouldnt the first garage have told you?

Or maybe it wasnt even the garage at fault, someone tried nicking something off your car one night and their torch got stuck.
    Lucky escape.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    I did an oil switch on someone's car recently and have had nothing but aggro from them, accusing me of all sorts.

I've recently found out that I'd left a torch (expensive, quality, one) on their exhaust which they've found but are making no attempt to return to me.

Can I report them for theft by finding?

Joe, I'd sue them for damage caused to the torch by their vehicle and also file a loss of earnings claim for the jobs you couldn't do without said torch.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    Two visits to the garage to see if a stray torch has done any damage. Totally beggars belief!!!

I had a friend leave a torch inside the engine bay of my sister's Aygo when he did a clutch on it. He didn't half get some grief on Facebook for it. Other than that, I was happy to return it to him.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    You are definitely entitled to compensation. I would estimate you should receive 1 torch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure