Things can only get better

Options

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,345 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy Saturday :)

Lost 1lb at WW. Only have to lose 1lb to be back at goal.

Got a letter from the old employer pension fund that's winding up which had been frozen since 2004. I have the option to take it as a lump sum £6k after tax and fees. Tempted to do this to be honest

Grandkids came today and grandson wreaked havoc. DS's health visitor thinks he's showing signs of autism. I've noticed he likes to put things in neat piles and screams if you upset the order. However, he's quite sociable. I suppose time will tell.

Thinking about my budget, I think I need to factor in some personal spends, say £40 a month so I can have the odd splurge without going over budget and feeling guilty. So with this in mind, I'm going to look at a budget reshuffle this weekend. It needs to be fit for purpose.

Been on the park with the dog twice today, it was lovely and sunny but the wind was biting. Not looking forward to the cold snap next week.

Hope everyone has had a fab day :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Re the size 8 - I'm only 5'1" and tiny boned which means every extra pound shows on me.
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well done on the WW and think its a good idea to tweak the budget. You should NOT feel guilty for spending on yourself ;)

Have a good Sunday

Brizzle x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • WannabeFree
    Options
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    Well done on the WW and think its a good idea to tweak the budget. You should NOT feel guilty for spending on yourself ;)

Have a good Sunday

Brizzle x

Totally agree

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,372 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great loss :)
    Would be tempted to take the 6k.
    If only :rotfl:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    I'm going to take the £6k. It's not a big enough pension pot to worry about reinvesting and the money is needed to do more stuff to the house realistically. I only paid into it for 4 years.

Have looked at my budget and I'm going to split the "spends" pot 4 ways: cash/house/personal spends/other. We both have £10 cash each every week for incidental spends, I'll keep quiet about Mr SA's £40 a month for personal spends or he'll just come up with something for the sake of it but it will be there if he needs clothes etc. He's already started on the canvas shoes pester again.

No plans to go anywhere other than taking the dog out so today will be NSD 8. Not AFD though as have a bit of red wine and a bit of cava left over - happy days :)

Need to do finances and meal plan this afternoon. Mr SA is going to watch a war film in bed (aka sleep!!) at 2pm so will have some peace and quiet. Will have to take the dog on the park again at some stage.

Beautiful sunny day but so cold and set to get colder :eek:
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I love the sun though! Even if it is freezing -1 here just now! :cool:

Splitting spends sounds like a good idea. Along with the money to finish the house spends

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    So far finances done:

Dining room £50.00 - had to pay electrician this week, need £160 for painter if he ever turns up!

Groceries for w/c 26 Feb = £90.00
    Spend pot for w/c 26 Feb = £40.00 (nothing planned for this week so won't spend this much)

Emergency fund = £2,000/10,000
    Holiday = £0/900 (some to be added on payday)

VSP = £171.18
    MSP = £59.15 (purse emptied)

Cards:
    Tesco £248.45
    M&S £22.50

Both will be cleared on payday. Really need to stop accumulating on the Tesco card, I don't know where it all comes from!

Payday on Wednesday but after paying bills, clearing cards, paying the painter and putting some money aside for holiday it won't last 5 minutes.

Made a batch of chilli soup in the soup maker for work lunches next week. Just got to sort the meal plan - going to have a look at the things that are hanging about a bit in the freezer and cupboards, use stuff up.

Aiming for 3 gym sessions, 3 AFDs and 3 NSDs next week.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't think I was born a size 8. Well done on your weight loss.

I agree , take the 6 k am sure you will use it wisely.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback