Car finance in ex girlfriends name issues

Options
Hello,

My girlfreind of 4 years at the time took finance in her name for a new car, at the beginning we were both using it and paying equal household costs, then she got a new car herself and I took on the payments for the 1st car, a year later we split and I was going to keep paying the first car and the couches we had on finance in her name.

She was worried I would not be able to make the payments or that I wouldn't pay for the couches and then allowed her brother to take them and he would pay her, this spooked me as I need a car for work. My credit score had since increased and I took a car on finance my self and handed her the original car back and was going to pay the settlement difference, from asking her the first time to get the settlement figure to her actually getting it took 8 weeks, in this time the valuation from we buy any car and the likes dropped from 10,200 to 9000.

The settlement was 10,700 at the time of asking , her stepdad decided that he would pay the settlement figure and I would pay him back the money directly, she had lost the v5 for the vehicle so had to apply for a new one before she could sell the car this time meant a further depreciation on the vehicle.

I was then told that her stepdad had paid 2,200 po

Comments

• Lp43496
    Options
    I was then told her stepdad had paid 2,200 as the settlement difference and that was to be paid directly to him through bank transfer.

I have since had texts from her stepdad telling me to pay ex amount, the trouble I have is I can't afford the payments he's asking for, where do I stand legally and morally,

do I pay the full 2,200 in what I can afford.

do I pay the 1,700 that was the difference at the time she had applied for the v5?

What is the legal status for a friends and family debt like this one?

Thank you.
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    Legally it doesn't sound as though you are liable for anything.
    The trajectory is a bit hard to follow, but if I've understood correctly, the only enforceable contract existed between your ex partner and the finance company as she signed the agreement.
    What you, she, and step dad subsequently agreed between you appears to have no legal standing.
    Legally then, you could probably just refuse to pay. Morally though.....

Put your hands up.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Lp43496 wrote: »
    Hello,

My girlfreind of 4 years at the time took finance in her name for a new car, at the beginning we were both using it and paying equal household costs, then she got a new car herself and I took on the payments for the 1st car, a year later we split and I was going to keep paying the first car and the couches we had on finance in her name.

She was worried I would not be able to make the payments or that I wouldn't pay for the couches and then allowed her brother to take them and he would pay her, this spooked me as I need a car for work. My credit score had since increased and I took a car on finance my self and handed her the original car back and was going to pay the settlement difference, from asking her the first time to get the settlement figure to her actually getting it took 8 weeks, in this time the valuation from we buy any car and the likes dropped from 10,200 to 9000.

The settlement was 10,700 at the time of asking , her stepdad decided that he would pay the settlement figure and I would pay him back the money directly, she had lost the v5 for the vehicle so had to apply for a new one before she could sell the car this time meant a further depreciation on the vehicle.

I was then told that her stepdad had paid 2,200 po

The bit in bold doesn't make a lot of sense. What is the "them" her brother took? The couches or the couches and the car?
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Act like a grown-up! You were lucky your ex took on the loan so you could have a car to drive at a time when you couldn't get credit. You are lucky that she took all the steps to arrange to return the car because you decided to get a new one (and probably paying more as a result). You are lucky that her step-dad agreed to get involved, again, only benefiting YOU.

And now you want to pretend that it's not your problem and not pay him because you spent your money elsewhere instead of making repaying this loan a priority.

I think she had a very lucky escape....
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    Act like a grown-up! You were lucky your ex took on the loan so you could have a car to drive at a time when you couldn't get credit. You are lucky that she took all the steps to arrange to return the car because you decided to get a new one (and probably paying more as a result). You are lucky that her step-dad agreed to get involved, again, only benefiting YOU.

And now you want to pretend that it's not your problem and not pay him because you spent your money elsewhere instead of making repaying this loan a priority.

I think she had a very lucky escape....

I don't see it like that, I could agree if the OP actually had the original car, but he doesn't so it isn't his problem.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I took a car on finance my self and handed her the original car back and was going to pay the settlement difference,
    He did have the original car, he has now returned it and somehow now is considering not repaying the settlement because it's now out of his hand with the debt with his ex's step dad.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    morally, you owe it, legally, you don't.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • DUTR
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    He did have the original car, he has now returned it and somehow now is considering not repaying the settlement because it's now out of his hand with the debt with his ex's step dad.

OK, I gathered that the ex had taken the car back in fear that the repayments would not be kept up to date, once the car is not available to use ie handed back, then the moral responsibility also ends too..
    At the time of taking the car back, who did they plan on paying the instalments?
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    OK, I gathered that the ex had taken the car back in fear that the repayments would not be kept up to date, once the car is not available to use ie handed back, then the moral responsibility also ends too..
    At the time of taking the car back, who did they plan on paying the instalments?

That’s how I read it as well that she took the car off him and gave it to her brother. Maybe the OP can clear this up for us as it’ll make a difference to the answers.
  • DUTR
    Options
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    That’s how I read it as well that she took the car off him and gave it to her brother. Maybe the OP can clear this up for us as it’ll make a difference to the answers.

I think it was the settee that was given to the brother.
    I suppose he could offer half of the difference in settlement (but ideally need not be obliged to offer anything).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure