Car finance in ex girlfriends name issues

Options
13»

Comments

• Starrystarrynight1
    Options
    From what I can see, the OP was paying towards the car when he had use of it so I think it would the right thing, morally, to pay the stated initial £500 difference. As there doesn't seem to have been a contract drawn up otherwise, he's probably not liable for anything.

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    Of course readers are confused , we can only go on what the OP has written.
    From what I read they both had use of the suite and both had use of the car.
    Sadly for whatever reason the relationship soured .
    Then there were reactions and probably over reactions which leads them to the situation they are in.
    Even the ultimate question being asked initially wasn't clear (should he pay anything or not), now it seems the real question is how much should he pay, and even then that is based on a voluntary not legal arrangement.

The first response OP received was that the only enforceable contract is between the ex and finance company because she signed the agreement. Giving the impression that they think because the OP's signature wasn't on it, OP has no liability whatsoever.

I meant that some people seem to be confused that no liability to finance company = no liability at all. The 2 are separate issues.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Mela322
    Mela322 Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We Buy Any Car...is that a reputable way to get a car valued? I get that cars depreciate by the day but that amount is huge for just a few weeks.

I wonder if they put a cookie on your computer so that if you don't accept their first offer and go back another time for another quote it will quote less. And they will continue doing this.

I would pay the 500 that she originally quoted and that she has to take responsibility for delaying the issue and losing paperwork. That wasn't your fault.
  • neneromanova
    neneromanova Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If everything is in her name, hand the keys back to your ex and just walk away and get a new car. She can sell the car to pay off the finance owed and you can have a new shiny car that's just yours. Then you can both go your separate ways and never have to speak to each other again.
    What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure