PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Saturday 27th January 2018

Options
O/S Daily Saturday 27th January 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone

Hope Lulu’s move went ok Lainey.
    Judi I hope that everything is ok with your son’s test results.
    Sorry to hear that you are feeling worse than you were Karcher, hopefully you will soon start to feel much better.

Having got the washing and housework out of the way yesterday I am planning on going into town early this morning to collect something from M&S for my niece and then having a day reading and maybe watching something on the tv.

Not a very exciting day, but it is what I’m in the mood for, and I’m lucky to be in a position that I can choose to have a day like this.

Hugs to those who are poorly or caring for someone who is and those with troubles/worries.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    Morning all and thank you for starting the thread Hollyharvey. I have spotted two threads but am posting on this one as closer to the top.

I don't have particular plans today, other than continuing the Friday Tidy which was rudely interrupted by the arrival of a memory foam mattress for DS so naturally wanted to visit it a lot to see it puffing itself up. I have such an exciting life.

O.H will be shopping and cooking today. I have washing ready to hang, need to go and look at what the weatherman days as it is still too dark to tell.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 January 2018 at 8:10AM
    Options
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Dark cold and frosty here this morning.

DH and I are enjoying first peaceful cuppas of the day, both boys still in their pits. I'll go for a shower in a bit then eat my breakfast.

Dinner last night was beef stew and dumplings, one of my better efforts, I cooked it in the cast iron cooking pot in the oven on low, not a very o/s use of the oven compared to the slow cooker, but I got the slow cooker out and it wouldn't work, so had to cook using the oven. I do find that cooking in the slow cooker gives everything a certain taste though and I'm not that keen, the stew last night was one of the best I've made in ages, tasted so much better. We had mash, carrots, kale and green beans with it. Tonight will be pizza, hot quiche, salad, new pots/skinny chips/jacket potato - not sure which.

I got the food shopping done yesterday morning and bought a sack of potatoes from the local farm shop. Whilst I was there they were selling 6 large jacket potatoes for £2 and big bags of big braeburn apples for £3 so bought 1 bag of each - as in the SM the jacket potatoes are in bags of 4 and are really small also the apples are very unpredictable quality and sealed in a bag so you can't really check them and only 6 small apples - hoping the new produce turns out to be better quality and value.

Heating engineer visited yesterday and confirmed price for the new boiler, an expense that we could do without, but existing one has been going wrong on a regular basis since November and so far I've been able to re-set it and keep it chugging along. It's 12 years old and this particular boiler is no longer manufactured so we had to make a decision do we pay to repair yet again or do we have a new one, and have decided on a new boiler, as we don't know how much longer spare parts will be available for the existing one. We're getting a 10 year warranty with the new one too and it's a different make, so hoping we're making the right choice. It's going to be fitted the first week of February.

I'll be heading into town first thing, then home to crack on with the ironing that I didn't get done yesterday, but there's not too much so shouldn't take too long. I did get the housework done yesterday - not a deep clean but certainly looks much better than it did and I managed to get the candle wax that DH got on the carpet off with the help of some brown paper and my iron - it looks so much better. We also had some other nice news that we've been waiting for and does ease the finances especially with having to get the boiler replaced.

We'll be visiting the outlaws and possibly my parents this arvo.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

After a cold, sunny day yesterday it is pouring down this morning, a lot milder but no good for drying washing!

When I got home from work yesterday I hoovered out the car, cleaned both bathrooms, did 2 loads of washing, cleaned out the fire and gave my bedroom a much needed clean. I was worn out by 6pm!

Going to collect something offered on freegle this morning and taking a picture I got in Malaysia to be framed, there's a bag to go to the charity shop while I'm out and about too.

Hope Lulu is happy in her new home Lainey.
    How are you dumpling?
    Gers - your DM makes me laugh!

Hope you all have a good weekend and the poorlies are feeling better. Take care. XX
  • ScarletRibbons
    Options
    Morning all, thank you HH.
    Seems dry out there this morning and not too cold.

Yesterday I met up with some friends at a local garden centre, we meet every couple of months. It was nice to have a chat and the morning flew by. Met up with DD in the afternoon, and did a bit of shopping, just in our little town centre, then home. In the evening a couple of friends called round and we had a glass of wine, maybe even two glasses of wine, so quite a social day

Today what's happening - not a lot. The daughter of a friend who died before Christmas is calling in, that's it really.

I'll dig around in the freezer, see if I can find something for tea, there's still plenty of stuff in there.

Hugs to Lainey and Dumpling, and others who may be sad or worried.
    Have a good day folks
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY. It's fine here at the moment but the weatherman says rain will soon arrive.

All is peaceful here this morning - no children staying last night but they are due to stay again tonight so I am not getting complacent!

I got the not-so-thorough Friday Tidy done yesterday and also two washer loads which are currently on the airers upstairs and drying nicely. So quite a busy day, despite being a frazzled wreck by the time the girls were thrown in the car for school.

We have a big family function this afternoon and, with no offence to the party holders who are lovely, I am really not looking forward to it. For one thing I hate big gatherings and for another the two me-me's will be there. I hope I can avoid them as I really don't want to hear how wonderful their lives are yet again.

Middle DGD has her last two performances at the Panto today so will be missing the function but the other two will be coming home with us for yet another sleepover and she will be dropped off much later. DD and her BF and a few others are going on elsewhere for a night out for BF's birthday.

There will be a big buffet at the function so no cooking to do today, just the odd snack before we go and probably during this evening.

I hope everyone has as good a day as poss and ((HUGS)) for the poorlies, carers, sad, worried and lonely who want/need them. KARCHER I am so sorry the virus has found it's way back again. That is just what I was like with that never-ending virus I had. I just thought I was starting to feel better and it was back again. Like you I felt I was going to be poorly forever. Take care folks xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off Hollyharvey

Cold this morning, not doing much today. Trying to avoid going anywhere crowded as there are so many nasty cough, cold, flu things about.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,057 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

Thinks it’s wet and mild outside. I’m up and showered almost ready to go out. DM is still asleep do I’ll take her some tea shortly. I’m going out to collect her stretched shoes first and then come back for her.

Yesterday the medical was short and painful. The doc put his thumb straight into the sore point without any hesitation. The upshot is that he’ll write a report to the insurance company reccommding physio. I didn’t get lost despite the M74 having changed a lot since I last headed south from Glasgow.

Now I’m going to sprinkle ‘get better soon’ dust over everyone.

Happy Saturday.
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Morning Everyone,

Thanks Holllyharvey for starting off the thread.

I will be doing some paperwork and tidying the house this morning. Then a visit to check my moms house this afternoon, and bring back some more items to my house.

Lots on the TV tonight that I like watching.

Happy Saturday everyone x
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,648 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start HollyHarvey.

Well typical, the first morning that I don't have to be up at silly o'clock to see to Lulu and it's a lovely sunny day! Our new yard do 7 days a week instead of 5 turning out etc, more expensive but not by much when you factor in petrol costs etc as I had 4 trips per day under the old regime.
    Lulu loaded and traveled very well, her eyes were on stalks when she came off the lorry and when we walked through the paddocks but she behaved well and soon settled down to grazing in her new field. When I went over later she was tucked up in her new stable but I got a lovely whinny welcome when she heard my call and lots of cuddles, think she was relieved that I was still around as has been passed around a bit in her young life :(

I do need to catch up a bit on the thread, everything has been a bit of a blur over the last few days but needless to say sending get well wishes to Karcher and all poorlies, thoughts are with anyone struggling at the moment.

Have a good day folks x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport