Primera Air Advance Cancellation - my rights

Options
I'd welcome some advice please. I have checked the MSE guide but I am still a little confused.

I booked a flight several months ago with Primera Air - an Icelandic company. The flight was due to depart from Manchester arriving into New York (Newark) in August.

This evening I have received the following email:

Dear Passenger,

Unfortunately, Your flight PF 52 2018-08-28 EWR BHX was cancelled for booking XXXXXX. Please, reply to us via irregularity@primeraair.com for further assistance.

Please, accept our sincere apologies for such inconveniences.

Best regards,
Customer Service
Primera Air

E-mail irregularity@primeraair.com

No phone number was offered.

My questions are as follows:

1) We do not want a refund. We would like to be re-routed even with another airline. This is because we did not pay a lot for the flight when we booked and a quick look shows prices on other airlines now are about £300 more at least (note we booked using credit card). If Primera has cancelled the route do they have to offer this as an option even though we have been given approx 6 months notice of cancellation?

2) In addition to the above - which I am very much hoping they have to offer, is there any entitlement to additional compensation?

The most important thing though is no. 1. I'd be so grateful for the guidance of forum members.

David.

Comments

• Chrislauder
    Options
    Hi David.

I too have just had the same email for a Birmingham to Newark flight in September for my honeymoon. We too paid on credit card. When we found these flights we booked straight away for a multistop trip so if we cannot get a replacement it will ruin all of our connections across America. We also booked to fly back from Newark to the UK with the same airline. If anyone has any advise it would be welcome.

Thanks

Chris.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looks like the flights change from 7 days per week to 4 days per week - no flights Tuesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays.
    I would expect the options to be given would be flight day before or day after original date or refund
    No compensation as more than 14 days notice given
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    We would like to be re-routed even with another airline.

It is often a struggle to be rerouted on a different airline and I would expect Primera Air to refuse this. You can ask them of course but unless you're willing to purchase new flights and seek the difference from Primera (probably through the courts and I don't know that there's any guarantee you'll win) the better option may be to move the a flight a day earlier or a day later.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Chrislauder
    Options
    Hi All.

I have flights the next day taking me to another part of America and my wedding is the day before. This means if I move the flight a day later I miss my flight onwards and if I cannot go the day before as I'm getting married.

What does this mean for me?
  • jpsartre
    Options
    I have flights the next day taking me to another part of America and my wedding is the day before. This means if I move the flight a day later I miss my flight onwards and if I cannot go the day before as I'm getting married.

What does this mean for me?

Most likely that you'll have to ask for a refund and make other arrangements for flights.
  • Samlevy88
    Options
    Has anyone had any success getting in touch with them? They have cancelled my flight to New York for my 30th and whilst it would be inconvenient to travel day before or after id prefer this to not at all. Yet they dont seem to have offered anything, or reply to emails, or have a contact number that doesnt go to a poor automated message. Terrible customer service!
  • jpsartre
    Options
    I just tried their UK support number and got through to an agent in less than a minute.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,552 Forumite
    Options
    Samlevy88 wrote: »
    Terrible customer service!
    From the posts here it looks like they are notifying people either all at once or in batches
    Since these routes are not launched for a few months yet I assume your travel is not imminent so no huge urgency. I also suspect that they will not yet be at full compliment of customer service staff until closer to the launch.
    It is not unusual for low cost carriers not to have gold plated customer service
  • Smith6536
    Options
    Our group have had our inividual flights cancelled from Birmingham to Boston for July 2018. Also Primera have cancelled our return flights from Newark and Boston in August (Booked Separately ) No reason given !
    We were Informed via e mail, telephone number provided on web site just rings out and then cuts you off.
    Not the service we’d expect from a company about to promote it business from Birmingham.
    Has anyone got a good contact number of where we can get some clarity and advice on our situation.
    We are taking two children's teams to Boston to take part in a competition approximately 150 people travelling in total. We feel very let down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure