MSE News: New Curve card claims to be 'the only card you need to carry'

Options

Comments

• stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    hpuse wrote: »
    My understanding is, if you transfer money from Credit card to a debit card and withdraw cash from ATM - that is considered as money laundering.

The scheme operated by Curve - they shouldn't be allowing withdrawals using their own 'curve' debit card for swap transactions.

For e.g i could spend 1500 on a laptop on 1 creditcard linked to curve and then swap the transaction to a debit card and then return the item to get a refund to launder that 1500 till the next payment cycle? Wouldn't that be possible?

No.

I've not had any refunds on my Curve, but their website states it will go back to the original card used.

So if you spent £1,500 on a credit card, swapped to debit and then refunded, it will still go to the credit card but future spent would come out of the debit card.

If by swapping transaction to a debit card (using the go back in time feature); it's limited to £1k but even if it was allowed for this much, the transaction would go out (payment) and back in (refunded) for the credit card when you swap the card for the transaction?

The debit card would then be debited (payment) and then credited (refund) upon the item being returned for a full refund... So you've not paid anything, both cards will have the same balances as where they started? The only thing you will have done is waste time buying an item and returning it?!?
  • soldierboy001
    Options
    The curve card appears as a charge card, I believe from it's long number, charge cards have no credit on them as such like your bank balance, so has no means of telling that you have any funds to give to the retailer to recoup the cash he gives you This is roughly the system.
  • Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Stuart_W wrote: »
    Instant transaction notification is fairly slick
    As a new Curve user, I am slightly surprised to find that the notifications are rarely instant.

Transactions are passed through to the underlying payment card immediately (showing as pending transactions), but it is usually quite a while - 10 minutes or more - before they show up in the Curve app, and the notification comes through.

I find this weird as, intuitively, you'd think the Curve app would know about the transaction before the underlying card, but it seems to be the other way round.

Occasionally the notification comes through within seconds of the transaction taking place, but it's unusual.
  • scragend
    scragend Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fingerbobs wrote: »
    As a new Curve user, I am slightly surprised to find that the notifications are rarely instant.

Transactions are passed through to the underlying payment card immediately (showing as pending transactions), but it is usually quite a while - 10 minutes or more - before they show up in the Curve app, and the notification comes through.

I find this weird as, intuitively, you'd think the Curve app would know about the transaction before the underlying card, but it seems to be the other way round.

Occasionally the notification comes through within seconds of the transaction taking place, but it's unusual.

I've been using Curve for almost 12 months. The notifications were instant at first, but I've noticed recently they often don't come through until later.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    scragend wrote: »
    I've been using Curve for almost 12 months. The notifications were instant at first, but I've noticed recently they often don't come through until later.

Same here - it seems the notification comes through for me as soon as my underlying card has been charged, which might be the trigger perhaps. Sometimes it's pretty much instant, other times it's upwards of 10 mins.
  • Fingerbobs
    Options
    Same here - it seems the notification comes through for me as soon as my underlying card has been charged, which might be the trigger perhaps. Sometimes it's pretty much instant, other times it's upwards of 10 mins.
    I don't think the underlying card being charged is the trigger.

The app for the underlying card (I've used Barclaycard and a Nationwide debit card so far) shows the pending transaction immediately, but it's usually ages before the Curve app shows the transaction, and the notification comes through.

One transaction this evening took well over an hour to appear in the Curve app, and I never got a notification at all.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I havent used mine in months because I hit the limits, until they started resetting last month. Transaction notification has definitely got worse - I thought it was my dodgy phone/signal!

I go into the app, onto the timeline/list or whatever it’s called, keep pulling down to refresh and it’s STILL not there. Sometimes 10 mins later

Given their AMEX shambles (Curve squarely to blame IMO) and one of their ‘features’ no longer working properly, I worry for their future!!
  • bigmaz
    bigmaz Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been using this card for a few months now, I really like the idea of it, but there is something that people need to think about before using it in certain circumstances. This might be obvious to everyone else, but I never thought about it before. There is no way to add funds onto any of your cards through the Curve card, which is normally fine. But I put a deposit down on a hired car, using my Curve card. I then get a message from the car hire company saying they cannot refund the money to the card used. So having a bit of trouble reversing the amount, as they refuse to put it back onto the original credit card that was selected on the Curve app at the time.

Just something to be aware of, if for any reason, you have to reverse or be refunded monees, if the company only refunds to the same card number used, then Curve cannot receive these payments.
  • Fingerbobs
    Options
    bigmaz wrote: »
    I have been using this card for a few months now, I really like the idea of it, but there is something that people need to think about before using it in certain circumstances. This might be obvious to everyone else, but I never thought about it before. There is no way to add funds onto any of your cards through the Curve card, which is normally fine. But I put a deposit down on a hired car, using my Curve card. I then get a message from the car hire company saying they cannot refund the money to the card used. So having a bit of trouble reversing the amount, as they refuse to put it back onto the original credit card that was selected on the Curve app at the time.

Just something to be aware of, if for any reason, you have to reverse or be refunded monees, if the company only refunds to the same card number used, then Curve cannot receive these payments.
    That's strange. My understanding is that you should be able to transact a refund to the Curve card. Curve then does a matching exercise to find the card used for the original transaction and passes the refund through to that card - but I have seen reports of this taking ages (several weeks) to happen. For this reason, I never use Curve if there's even a slight possibility I might need a refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure