MSE News: New Curve card claims to be 'the only card you need to carry'

Options

Comments

• cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I use the Curve card to pay my credit card bills, linked to my TESCO debit card. These payments count as a purchase and award me clubcard points.

It should also work when I deposit into my Skipton LISA via debit card too!
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    Shedman wrote: »
    Well I am finding very handy. Just carry two cards around now. The ability to reallocate spend to any of the cards that have been stored on it is great (I have 7 on there at the moment..), especially as I want to make sure I use a number of different credit cards each month so that I get the DDs for meeting Lloyds, BOS etc DD criteria now that Tesco Savings trick has gone.

Even better is that I got £5 reward from using a referral code and am getting 1% cashback reward for using card in Tesco and still putting the spend on Tesco CC to get Clubcard points.

Not had a issue using it so far.

If you use Curve on your Tesco CC in Tesco, you will not get the full 1 point per £1 extra, but only the 1 point per £4 extra as the merchant is Curve, not Tesco. Not sure where this 1% comes from, Tesco are not in the list of cashback merchants for Curve.

I'd advise using your Tesco card directly in Tesco!
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,481 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you use Curve on your Tesco CC in Tesco, you will not get the full 1 point per £1 extra, but only the 1 point per £4 extra as the merchant is Curve, not Tesco. Not sure where this 1% comes from, Tesco are not in the list of cashback merchants for Curve.

I'd advise using the Tesco Pay+ app in Tesco, assigned to a Tesco Debit or Premium Credit Card.

That way you'll get:
    1 point per £ spent (with exclusions) by Tesco directly
    1 point per £ spent (no exclusions) by Tesco Bank
    1 point per £4 spent (no exclusions) by Tesco Pay+
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    cjv wrote: »
    I use the Curve card to pay my credit card bills, linked to my TESCO debit card. These payments count as a purchase and award me clubcard points.

It should also work when I deposit into my Skipton LISA via debit card too!

Hmmm, I paid my Skipton LISA using my Tesco debit card (500 points is better than nothing)... wasn't sure if paying off a credit card with it would be allowed... interesting if it is as it allows people to double dip (points on initial credit card spend, points paying it off).
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    WillPS wrote: »
    I'd advise using the Tesco Pay+ app in Tesco, assigned to a Tesco Debit or Premium Credit Card.

That way you'll get:
    1 point per £ spent (with exclusions) by Tesco directly
    1 point per £ spent (no exclusions) by Tesco Bank
    1 point per £4 spent (no exclusions) by Tesco Pay+

If you use a Tesco Debit card which gives bonus points at petrol stations, then make sure to use the Clubcard number on the back of the Debit Card. I wasn't getting the full points using Pay+ for a while until I swapped them over (doh).
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    jsmith9156 wrote: »
    ....and did it work?

It does work.

It didn't work when I first used it, rang customer services who had to add the BIN into their payment system. Been using it in CostCo every since!
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 April 2018 at 12:42PM
    Options

Well Tesco was one of the stores I was able to choose on my Curve app! (I have also chosen Sainsbury and Boots for what it's worth). Already earned over £2.

Anyway thanks for comment on Tesco points. Will need to look into this further.. I can see that I am getting 1 point per £ for shopping in Tesco (presumably just the Clubcard number element) and then 1 point per £8 in Tesco and elsewhere so that must be the Tesco Bank bit. However it seems to be the same points in total as when I was using the Tesco CC directly so something doesn't look right historically from what you say.

Will also need to look at the Tesco Pay+ situation again but I must admit I found it a bit of pain when it was PayKwiq as it used to log me out a lot and then you'd be at the checkout trying to get the password to log in again which meant logging into Lastpass so was a bit of a faff.

Update:
    Just looked at our Tesco CC and see it is an old Finest card and it only earns 1 point per £2 in Tesco and 1 point per £8 elsewhere (and clearly using Curve). Looks like we need to move to a different Tesco CC card.
    Thanks for alerting me.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The original curve card used to display as prepaid, the newer one shows as debit. CAn be used on lots of finance related things - including paying credit cards as some have said.

Curve may eventually block it, but they get profit from every POS transaction so I doubt it, unless merchants start blocking THEM and it causes issues for genuine customers.

Per year limit is pants though if you!!!8217;re using it for everything and for finance transactions etc, and I!!!8217;m on higher limits - only so much taking the Michael you can do per year!! Can ask for higher limits but they review my account so rather not.. I!!!8217;ll leave it a few months so the rolling 365 days starts again...
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My understanding is, if you transfer money from Credit card to a debit card and withdraw cash from ATM - that is considered as money laundering.

The scheme operated by Curve - they shouldn't be allowing withdrawals using their own 'curve' debit card for swap transactions.

For e.g i could spend 1500 on a laptop on 1 creditcard linked to curve and then swap the transaction to a debit card and then return the item to get a refund to launder that 1500 till the next payment cycle? Wouldn't that be possible?
    Hmmm, I paid my Skipton LISA using my Tesco debit card (500 points is better than nothing)... wasn't sure if paying off a credit card with it would be allowed... interesting if it is as it allows people to double dip (points on initial credit card spend, points paying it off).
  • GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't think it's the only card...

There is one out there called Da vinci ...

Mr Harry Web of the gadget show was talking about it few episodes ago...

all cards on one card & a random pin each time you use it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport