Bankruptcy for the 2nd time

Options

Comments

• dippydora_2
    Options
    Have a read of this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=568966 dippydora
    as you will see we are just as desgusted when somebody leaves the little guys in the S*** as this person has you, but as is clearly stated in this thread when it comes to the total irresponsibilty of the big financial institutions to lending we have no sympathy and in this perticular case the bank in question has been totaly irresponsible lending money to someone whos credit file clearly shows was recently BR and should not have been given the loans and CC,s

In fact this could be why this person has left you in the lurch as they may be overcommitted to some bank or other so maybe its more a case of cant pay not wont.....Just a thought

hmmmmm, not convinced they can't pay they had a clean credit check and references and he has a good job as a civil engineer and they only ever paid their first month's rent on time and in full. (which they had to to secure the property) I cannot believe that after a clean credit check that they couldn't pay their rent from month two.
    They never told anyone that they had separated until the day of the court case, so I feel that they are using that as an excuse, still have a horrible feeling that they are doing this to obtain a council house, (they were living in a council house with her family before they moved into my house) - I am convinced he will miraculously make up with his wife and they will be sitting pretty in cheap council housing, whilst we struggle to pay off the money they have "stolen" from us. She also had Citizens advice bureau with her in court so is getting free legal advice,I have amailed CAB myself,but as they are helping her, I doubt they will any advice for the "big bad landlord" trying to get money and evict their tenants!
    As far as I know he is still working, nothing was mentioned in court, so I think that there must be some money floating about,but have no idea how to go about getting it off him and have no more money for solicitors.... catch 22
    Anyhow I digress from the thread and will leave you all to your musings....

If anyone has any advice or can direct me to a relevant thread, I would appreciate it so much. (although I suspect I am asking in the wrong place!)

Good luck everyone, but don't screw over the little guys - It's not fair!
    DIPPYDORA :p

:kisses3: I Love you Martin!!!
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I TOTALLY agree with Blind-as. This forum is NOT about the avoidance of debt. If you look through, you will see that anyone who is simply looking at 'Bankruptcy' as an easy way out of debt gets short shrift indeed.
    The necessity for a forum such as this, has come about due to the general lack of freely available debt counselling advice, for those who find themselves in debt, yet don't even know that organisations like the CAB or National Debtline are there for advice.
    Creditors, in the main, are most unlikely to point a debtor towards any mainstream debt-counselling organisation - especially where there is a real risk that that creditor may, as a result, lose all realistic hope of seeing his money back.
    On the other hand, there is a huge Industry which has been built up around the collection of 'debt' that often uses unfair and bullying, sometimes illegal, tactics to co-erce payment out of people on behalf, usually, of unscrupulous large financial organisations who should, in many cases, bear the brunt of the responsibility for the situation that those 'debtors' who come to this forum, to seek advice, find themselves in.
    Yes, there ARE many organisations to give help, and advice, to debtors. Where a 'debt' is legally unenforceable, then yes, again, the debtor will probably be advised as to where to find the best help for their individual situation.
    We, on this forum, are not, nor do we profess to be, Debt Counselling experts. Most of us have come to these boards because we, ourselves, are or have been in debt and needed help. Where we have found help, we like to share that information, in order that others don't find it quite so hard to cope with the same problems that we have experienced.
    We are not judgemental and, hopefully, our sympathy extends well beyond the parameters of consumer debt.
    I can understand your frustration, given the situation that you find yourself in, and, strangely enough, it will probably be one of those same organisations, that we have turned to for help and advice, that could most probably help you.
    I refer to the Citizen's Advice Bureau - they can CERTAINLY point you towards organisations and solicitors that could advise you on the best way to resolve your problem.
    Believe me, please, there REALLY is a solution for EVERY problem.

Good luck
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • dippydora_2
    Options
    I can understand your frustration, given the situation that you find yourself in, and, strangely enough, it will probably be one of those same organisations, that we have turned to for help and advice, that could most probably help you.
    I refer to the Citizen's Advice Bureau - they can CERTAINLY point you towards organisations and solicitors that could advise you on the best way to resolve your problem.
    Believe me, please, there REALLY is a solution for EVERY problem.

Frustration is the wrong word, fear and worry, the same situation you all have found yourself in.....
    I totally understand your sentiments about the big consumer companies as, after all, I am a money saving fan whose ethos is about getting one over on the big companies,
    but I was merely trying to point out (and pour out my worries) that not every creditor is big, bad and evil and that whilst searching the internet for "advice" sooo much information on helping the debtor,(which I absolutely think there should be advice) but unless I employ a solicitor and spend a lot more money, I can find out nothing to help myself.
    I will surely find myself in the same situation as you all have been with the big companies i.e. the bank and credit card company, they obviously know how to go about collecting debts, whereas the little person like myself is sucked in and spat out, due to lack of information out there....

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dippydora wrote: »
    but I was merely trying to point out (and pour out my worries) that not every creditor is big, bad and evil and that whilst searching the internet for "advice" sooo much information on helping the debtor,(which I absolutely think there should be advice) but unless I employ a solicitor and spend a lot more money, I can find out nothing to help myself.
    I will surely find myself in the same situation as you all have been with the big companies i.e. the bank and credit card company, they obviously know how to go about collecting debts, whereas the little person like myself is sucked in and spat out, due to lack of information out there....

You know, dd - the DFW lot can be a very enterprising bunch - Maybe you should post your problem as a new thread. You might be pleasantly surprised at the help, support and advice you get.
    Debt doesn't just target one section of society - we're from ALL walks of life - and you never know, some of us may have found ourselves in debt because of exactly the same circumstances that you are in.
    Give it a go.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • dippydora_2
    Options
    I do suspect an agenda, and I know that not everyone is like that (Thank goodness), I am the same, in that I have always paid for a roof over my head, my mortgage company and the person I rent from do not even know that I have had problems as, no matter what, I have always paid them. (hence my money problems)
    I don't know if I dare take the risk for bankruptcy (Luck does not seem to be on my side at the mo.)
    It was an interesting point you made about the credit check and warning to anyone like me who thought that, it was a security blanket, It makes even more sense to me now, that, maybe they have done something similar before and then moved into her parents house, so that they do not have a reference from their last Landlord as they can say they live with family and I would not suspect, they also asked for a year's contract, when the normal is six months.
    I have always given them the benefit of the doubt and tried to give them time, unfortunatley I do think I have been played like a fiddle. I may be doing them a disservice and they maybe genuine, but the fact that I asked her to give me proof that she would be going on benefits because her husband has left and that she would not (NOT could not) or tell me where her husband was, indicates deception, I only pray that they do not wreck my home when they leave, I am due to move back next Easter and am petrified of trying to rent it out once they are evicted, in case I cannot get back in or someone does the same thing again, as I now no longer trust reference or credit checks, but I cannot afford not to. Argggghh

• dippydora_2
    Options
    rog2 wrote: »
    You know, dd - the DFW lot can be a very enterprising bunch - Maybe you should post your problem as a new thread. You might be pleasantly surprised at the help, support and advice you get.
    Debt doesn't just target one section of society - we're from ALL walks of life - and you never know, some of us may have found ourselves in debt because of exactly the same circumstances that you are in.
    Give it a go.

I may just do that Rog2 :D
    wish me luck!!!

• betterlatethannever
    Options
    dippydora wrote: »
    hmmmmm, not convinced they can't pay they had a clean credit check and references and he has a good job as a civil engineer and they only ever paid their first month's rent on time and in full. (which they had to to secure the property) I cannot believe that after a clean credit check that they couldn't pay their rent from month two.
    They never told anyone that they had separated until the day of the court case, so I feel that they are using that as an excuse, still have a horrible feeling that they are doing this to obtain a council house, (they were living in a council house with her family before they moved into my house) - I am convinced he will miraculously make up with his wife and they will be sitting pretty in cheap council housing, whilst we struggle to pay off the money they have "stolen" from us. She also had Citizens advice bureau with her in court so is getting free legal advice,I have amailed CAB myself,but as they are helping her, I doubt they will any advice for the "big bad landlord" trying to get money and evict their tenants!
    As far as I know he is still working, nothing was mentioned in court, so I think that there must be some money floating about,but have no idea how to go about getting it off him and have no more money for solicitors.... catch 22
    Anyhow I digress from the thread and will leave you all to your musings....

If anyone has any advice or can direct me to a relevant thread, I would appreciate it so much. (although I suspect I am asking in the wrong place!)

Good luck everyone, but don't screw over the little guys - It's not fair!

Can i just say DD, i had a clean and v good credit history 6 months ago when i rented my present house. Now thats all gone; it takes very little time and energy to slip from the top of the pile.
    Luckily for my LL i also make paying the rent my priority, above even food and council tax.
    Can i also suggest you have a look at the house buying, renting and selling thread, here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=16.
    Its manned by many LL's and there are a lot there with similar experiences who may be able to help you.
    Good luck
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • dippydora_2
    Options
    Can i just say DD, i had a clean and v good credit history 6 months ago when i rented my present house. Now thats all gone; it takes very little time and energy to slip from the top of the pile.
    Luckily for my LL i also make paying the rent my priority, above even food and council tax.
    Can i also suggest you have a look at the house buying, renting and selling thread, here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=16.
    Its manned by many LL's and there are a lot there with similar experiences who may be able to help you.
    Good luck

Brilliant Thankyou very much, never found that thread on my searches :D

• JoeHel
    JoeHel Posts: 446 Forumite
    Options
    Have a read of this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=568966 dippydora
    as you will see we are just as desgusted when somebody leaves the little guys in the S*** as this person has you, but as is clearly stated in this thread when it comes to the total irresponsibilty of the big financial institutions to lending we have no sympathy and in this perticular case the bank in question has been totaly irresponsible lending money to someone whos credit file clearly shows was recently BR and should not have been given the loans and CC,s

In fact this could be why this person has left you in the lurch as they may be overcommitted to some bank or other so maybe its more a case of cant pay not wont.....Just a thought

Thanks for highlighting my post and it's true - I didn't expect the level of support I received as a creditor but you're right, a lot of people on here are just supportive of anyone who has been "done over" financially, whichever side of the fence they are on! I was very upset by Malestrom's comments though. My OH is schizophrenic and the resulting depression from having both legs in plaster and being unable to work made him a recluse for nearly 3 years, unable to leave the house. I have worked myself into the ground with overtime to cover our bills but still had to use credit cards for day to day expenses. Now my OH has finally gone back to work and is so much better, we've cut up the cards and we're paying everything back but the £21k award would make life a whole lot easier. Creditors aren't always big financial organisations who can swallow the losses and increase their interest rates to claw it back elsewhere. Sometimes Joe Public loses out to bankruptcy too.
    QUIT SMOKING 4/11/07 :j
  • betterlatethannever
    Options
    I for one, have never really thought about the 'little man', I always assumed all creditors were big companies with money to write off and the means to carry on.
    Bankruptcy can become a chain reaction thast ends up with innocent people at the bottom of the list suffering.
    I'm sure thats what Malestrom meant with his comment (though feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure