We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Potential holiday cancellation
Comments
-
Out of interest what was the reason for the rejected claim?
Did they consider it wasn't serious enough at the time?
I couldn't remember when I wrote my original response but having thought about I think there was a justifiable reason relating to the timing of the insurance being taken out so I was being rather presumptuous in attributing to it being because of cheap insurer. My insurer was LV.0 -
Only the underwriters of the insurance can say whether they consider a cancellation is covered by the policy terms. It will depend on the terms of the policy that that company issues.
You could try phoning and asking them when they would consider it appropriate to cancel and what medical evidence they would need but I doubt they will make any decision until you actually cancel and they have a completed claim form and all the medical evidence they need.0 -
I'm sorry that this has happened to you, it is a very difficult situation to find yourself in. In my day job I'm involved in many family discussions like this. You should ask the Consultant in charge their opinion, rather than his GP, who will not be privy yet to all the information gleaned in hospital.
From what you are describing in his presentation, this is a very frail gentleman, with significant medical problems. Having been in many similar situations before, I think you should prepare yourselves for the possibility that, despite everything, he does not recover from this. I would definitely think about cancelling the holiday.0 -
Money can't buy time with your family"It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP0 -
Yes agreed. We asked the GP when he was under the GPs care before he was in hospital. They could not give us any opinion at all and said 9 days was way too early.You should ask the Consultant in charge their opinion, rather than his GP, who will not be privy yet to all the information gleaned in hospital.
We are definitely thinking about it.I would definitely think about cancelling the holiday.
At the present time we still have no clue how serious it is, but without a diagnosis we will certainly have to start asking how serious the consultant thinks it is and his/her opinion on whether we should go.
I would add that once we get on our boat we have no chance of turning back for 8 days (unless someone on board is seriously ill) and we are not passing any ports of call. Who goes on holiday to uninhabited places? That would be scuba divers.0 -
Money can't buy time with your family
There is also an issue that should say a life-support machine need turning off that my husband and his sister would want to be there and do it together.0 -
I have thought of that and I've considered the mitigating of losses point, but at the moment I cannot give them any clue even how serious it is let alone a diagnosis.You could try phoning and asking them when they would consider it appropriate to cancel0 -
You wouldn't want them to await your return if it would be over a week should that be necessary???There is also an issue that should say a life-support machine need turning off that my husband and his sister would want to be there and do it together.
Has anyone (qualified) at the hospital discussed "preparing for the worst"?0 -
There is also an issue that should say a life-support machine need turning off that my husband and his sister would want to be there and do it together.
I'm sorry your relative is so unwell.
You may find that if he is as frail as you say, with a DNAR in place, he would not be considered a candidate for a high dependency unit / more invasive treatments so will not be in a position for any life support to be turned off. That may be another question to ask the consultant.
Sometimes it gets to the point where the medics (in connunction with family) start to consider whether active treatment is still in the person's best interests. In these situations they may stop antibiotics etc and put the person on a palliative care route so they can pass away in peace without drips etc still being put into them. There aren't aren't any timescales, as it's very much an individual decision, but it's a possibility you need to be aware of.All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.0 -
That's a good point. GP said without hesitation that he would not be a candidate for resucitation. We all believe (again without hesitation) that he is not a candidate for surgery or chemotherapy. Tests are only useful if there is a palliative benefit.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.7K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

