We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Potential holiday cancellation
lisyloo
Posts: 30,124
Forumite
Hiya, just wondering if anyone has any advice.
FIL (89) had a fall 27/12 and his face did hit the ground outside.
He fell ill with a chest infection on 30/12.
We were concerned enough that son (my husband) and I slept at his house.
Blood test showed low platelets, anaemia and raised liver function.
He has had bowel incontinence for a while.
He also has symptoms of mumbling, confusion, not responding and possible depression. We mentioned stroke to GP they said timings did not fit. GP gave antibiotics and anti depressant.
He went into hospital Monday evening as his bed time carer said he was not responding. His temp was below 34 and hospital put a heated blanket on him to get his temperature up.
Consultant said he has swelling around his middle which could be an underlying cancer or could be build up of liquid that heart is too weak to shift and he is on low dose diurectic.
He hasn’t eaten much at all for 4 days.
Chest X-ray, ct scan (poss head injury mentioned by hospital) and liver scan expected as well as gastroenterology appointment (though he’s not conscious enough to talk to a consultant).
Has DNR (and apparently is not even a candidate for resucutation) and we have requested no invasive tests.
His healt is obvuisly our main concern but DH (son) and I are meant to be going on holida6 in a weeks time and are going to unable to return for at least 10 days (we are on a boat in the pacific in an uninhabited area).
DH spoke to GP on Mondays (pre hospital) And they said they hadn’t a clue and it’s was too early to say whether it was serious enough to cancel holiday.
I called Insurance on Tuesday after he was admitted to notify them of potential cancellation.
So my question is what qualifies as serious?
It’s obviusly very concerning at 89 and frail and DH is not keen to go on holiday but what view does insurer take? Does he have to be expected to die in the few weeks for holiday to get cancelled?
We already tried asking GP for how serious it was but no clue.
What happens if we have no diagnosis before we go? If insurer decides on medical evidence then how much notice do they need to do that? If they need a weeks notice to decide then do I need to be asking them to do that now?
FIL (89) had a fall 27/12 and his face did hit the ground outside.
He fell ill with a chest infection on 30/12.
We were concerned enough that son (my husband) and I slept at his house.
Blood test showed low platelets, anaemia and raised liver function.
He has had bowel incontinence for a while.
He also has symptoms of mumbling, confusion, not responding and possible depression. We mentioned stroke to GP they said timings did not fit. GP gave antibiotics and anti depressant.
He went into hospital Monday evening as his bed time carer said he was not responding. His temp was below 34 and hospital put a heated blanket on him to get his temperature up.
Consultant said he has swelling around his middle which could be an underlying cancer or could be build up of liquid that heart is too weak to shift and he is on low dose diurectic.
He hasn’t eaten much at all for 4 days.
Chest X-ray, ct scan (poss head injury mentioned by hospital) and liver scan expected as well as gastroenterology appointment (though he’s not conscious enough to talk to a consultant).
Has DNR (and apparently is not even a candidate for resucutation) and we have requested no invasive tests.
His healt is obvuisly our main concern but DH (son) and I are meant to be going on holida6 in a weeks time and are going to unable to return for at least 10 days (we are on a boat in the pacific in an uninhabited area).
DH spoke to GP on Mondays (pre hospital) And they said they hadn’t a clue and it’s was too early to say whether it was serious enough to cancel holiday.
I called Insurance on Tuesday after he was admitted to notify them of potential cancellation.
So my question is what qualifies as serious?
It’s obviusly very concerning at 89 and frail and DH is not keen to go on holiday but what view does insurer take? Does he have to be expected to die in the few weeks for holiday to get cancelled?
We already tried asking GP for how serious it was but no clue.
What happens if we have no diagnosis before we go? If insurer decides on medical evidence then how much notice do they need to do that? If they need a weeks notice to decide then do I need to be asking them to do that now?
0
Comments
-
Check the policy wording for cancellation cover
It usually covers unexpected/unforeseen illness of a close relative, and medical evidence of the injury/illness necessitating the cancellation0 -
Does your insurer cover your FIL considering the age and did you declare all medical conditions prior to booking?
When you cancel your holiday, the holiday will ask for a medical report from your GP. I think it is reasonable to think he is not medically fit to travel, however this all hinges on your Terms and conditions of your insurance"It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP0 -
A relative (see Definition on page 12), business associate, a person you have booked to travel with or a relative or friend living abroad, who you plan to stay with, dies, becomes seriously ill or gets injured.
Thanks for the info. Currently we have no medical diagnosis.
Tests have been ordered but we know that getting a test does not mean an immediate diagnosis.0 -
Yes. He is a close relative (father) of my husband who is travelling, so qualifies on that score.Does your insurer cover your FIL considering the age
FIL is not travelling (but you're right it's a major issue even to get out of bed hence he has a catheter fitted).I think it is reasonable to think he is not medically fit to travel
Husband would rather not go on holiday right now but understand that medical evidence is required.
Thanks for the confirmation of that.
Test should be easier to get now he's actually admitted but tests do not equal diagnosis.0 -
Yes. He is a close relative (father) of my husband who is travelling, so qualifies on that score.
FIL is not travelling (but you're right it's a major issue even to get out of bed hence he has a catheter fitted).
Husband would rather not go on holiday right now but understand that medical evidence is required.
Thanks for the confirmation of that.
Test should be easier to get now he's actually admitted but tests do not equal diagnosis.
The discharge notice will have some sort of diagnosis which the GP will also base their opinion on as well when they fill in the insurers form.
Hope he gets better, but I would always aim for the best and plan for the worst. Ensure a POA is obtained when he is better as well as an advance directive in terms of he gets ill again would he want to go to hospital."It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP0 -
The discharge notice will have some sort of diagnosis which the GP will also base their opinion on as well when they fill in the insurers form.
After the event yes, but we need to know whether to board the plane or not. It's been 2.5 weeks and we don't yet know whether it's "serious" or not.0 -
After the event yes, but we need to know whether to board the plane or not. It's been 2.5 weeks and we don't yet know whether it's "serious" or not.
If there's a doubt don't go, he will have a recovery period anyways on discharge"It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP0 -
But it's not serious enough ATM to warrant an insurance claim so we'll be out of pocket by a 5 figure sum if we choose not to go (and chance of recouping losses in the last week would be diminishing the closer we get).If there's a doubt don't go
It's an option but not a decision that we can afford to take lightly.0 -
I had a similar situation a few years ago and cancelled our holiday. After receiving notification from my mother's doctor that she had now (after the booking of course) been diagnosed with a terminal illness, they paid out.
Two other family members were in the same situation and both cancelled, one had a successful claim the other, with a cheaper company, not.
I sympathise with your situation. Good luck.0 -
Out of interest what was the reason for the rejected claim?
Did they consider it wasn't serious enough at the time?0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
