Options

Comments

• adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 February 2018 at 7:09PM
    Options
    mhoc wrote: »
    It is quite labour intensive whatever systems you have in place- not just the couple of hours at the start of each month just checking all of the standing orders have gone through and updating excel charts and calendars with reminders
    Also making sure the money is in the right place at the right time of the month and making sure there is enough!
    But also the other admin jobs like reading rules and conditions when a new one comes out or if you are renewing a RS that has matured.
    And each RS producing maybe just £30 to £60 a year in interest.

In most of RSA, it is enough to read the KPI / Summary, not necessarily the whole T&C. Also, Special_Saver2 has done a great job summarising RSA available in p1.
    In theory, we could just open one of these new 5 years ISAs earning 2% and make life easy for ourselves.

Depending on personal circumstances, but the main advantage with RSA here is the flexibility related to withdrawing your money. Some RSAs such virgin money is very flexible where you could withdraw your money anytime you need it, while other will allow at least one free withdrawal.

Well, with 2% 5 year ISA, you tied your money for 5yr. If you withdraw it earlier it is highly likely you will need to pay penalty.

Also generally they are at a fixed rate. When BoE announces basic interest hike, you might be ending up getting lower interest than general saving as you should expect a flexible saving interest rate will normally go hand in hand with BoE basic interest rate.

2% for 1 - 2 years (say) might be worthy. But for five years, I think it is not worthy at all.
  • Big_W
    Big_W Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    But I am not quite sure if you close it on 01/03/2018 in the morning or even before 17.00. Do they count the interest on that day ??

Can't help you with that one - I don't get fussed about one day's worth of interest at these rates and account balances....
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    But I am not quite sure if you close it on 01/03/2018 in the morning or even before 17.00. Do they count the interest on that day ??

If only they explained when interest was calculated in the T&C. Oh wait, they do.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • bubieyehyeh
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can get a NottinghamBS regular saver closed and get them to faster payment the balance on maturity without a visit to branch?
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,815 Forumite
    edited 1 March 2018 at 10:02AM
    Options
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    If only they explained when interest was calculated in the T&C. Oh wait, they do.

Why do not you quote it here ??
    If everyone was asked to read the T&C and what is the forum for ??
    Also, I never see a forum rule that someone wants to ask a question on MSE will need to read the whole T&C first.

T&C is not necessary a simple document and people who read it might have a misunderstanding or might miss the point. Also, it is not uncommon what they stated in the T&C is not applied in their computer algorithms, as in many business organisations those groups are in different divisions.

Sharing real experience will never ever be able to be replaced by the T&C.

But thanks anyway, it took me less than a minute to find this, using search without the need to read the whole T&C. But sometimes you do not have T&C handy.

9.1 "We will calculate interest on the cleared funds in your account at the end of each business day"
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can get a NottinghamBS regular saver closed and get them to faster payment the balance on maturity without a visit to branch?

Ive around 8 Notts BS RS and they are all branch and cheque withdrawal.

Which issue and what do your T&Cs state?
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

They would need you to produce the passbook for one thing. Wouldn't a phone call get you the answer? :)
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We had the letter today regarding the merger of Holmesdale and Skipton - October 1st being the merger date but no idea yet as to what will happen to the regular savers - both 4 and 5 still listed on their webpage but with very poor rates My issue 3 is 2.25% and matures in October

https://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/holmesdale-building-society-merge-skipton/

https://www.theholmesdale.co.uk/savings/regular-saver/
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    Options
    We had the letter today regarding the merger of Holmesdale and Skipton - October 1st being the merger date but no idea yet as to what will happen to the regular savers - both 4 and 5 still listed on their webpage but with very poor rates My issue 3 is 2.25% and matures in October

https://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/holmesdale-building-society-merge-skipton/

https://www.theholmesdale.co.uk/savings/regular-saver/

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5802875
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

Q3. Will rates on savings or borrowing products be affected?
    Savings and borrowing rates for members of the Holmesdale are expected to improve or remain unchanged, but will not worsen as a result of the merger

although as my regular saver 3 matures in mid October and the interest rates for 4 and 5 are below 2% I wont be reinvesting.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure