Original PS4 games

Personally, I like my games to be original.

I have a severe disliking to "remastered" games and follow up games, as there is no originality to them.

So can anyone recommend a decent original game for the PS4?

To me, the plot and any puzzles are what I prefer. I don't care too much for the graphics.

Comments

• marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    What have you played so far and enjoyed?
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Scorpio33 wrote: »
    Personally, I like my games to be original.

I have a severe disliking to "remastered" games and follow up games, as there is no originality to them.

So can anyone recommend a decent original game for the PS4?

To me, the plot and any puzzles are what I prefer. I don't care too much for the graphics.

Rise of the tomb raider has puzzles to solve. The uncharted games have puzzles. The only game where the story excels in my opinion is the last of us but that is a remaster. If you didnt play it on ps3 then why not play it? Its a great game.
    More straight forward puzzle games i dont know much about.
    Of course i am only going on what i have played. I am sure there will be games that fit your requirements.
  • I would suggest you look up what is available and then check the IGN reviews etc.
  • Two Brothers and Journey are both puzzle type games and I enjoyed them a lot.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • Middle Earth - Shadow of Mordor (and the sequel) were decent games I enjoyed on the PS4.

The nemisis system is quite refreshing and challenging.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,344
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The 3 best story type games I've played on PS4 are Skyrim, Fallout 4, and GTA V.
    If you haven't played it before, Skyrim is a mammoth game with a mix of battling, collecting, puzzles, and a good story. It was released on PS3 and PS4 - a few years old now, so should be relatively cheap.
    Fallout 4 is on a similar vein but set in a future post apocalyptic world - again should be quite cheap. Although it is the 4th in the series, I'd not played the 3 previous versions and didn't feel it mattered.
    You might like GTA V - quite violent and largely about driving vehicles and shooting, but has a decent story behind it. Other than that, I've got Uncharted 3 (?) sat in a drawer waiting to be played for the first time, which is supposed ot be good and I've not played the uncharted games before.
    Not sure why you would have anything against follow up games or re-mastered games, if you've not played the previous versions. To be honest, not sure I've seen anything really original on PS4 for a while. I am also dipping in and out of Elite Dangerous, but there's no real story to it - just a hugely massively ginormous galaxy to explore, that will probably take years to get around.
  • Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 January 2018 at 8:54AM
    Well I've had a PS2, PS3 and now a PS4.

I've enjoyed GTA, Uncharted, Skyrim, Fallout and Tomb Raider (All on PS3 apart from the newer Fallout and Uncharted)

The issue I have with most remastered or re-issued games is that I already have played them on earlier consoles, so I begrudge paying full price for something that I already own on an earlier console. I also think it is lazy on the developers and only encourages unoriginal games. The other thing is with a remastered game is that the older (original) game, you can usually pick up cheaper second hand anyway, so what is the point in paying lots just for slightly better graphics?

I'll look into "Middle Earth - Shadow of Mordor (and the sequel) " - Thanks.

Two brothers is also one I have heard of, but not played.

Any other suggestions?
  • Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Also - I have last of us on PS3, which was great!
  • donnajunkie
    Forumite
    The 3 best story type games I've played on PS4 are Skyrim, Fallout 4, and GTA V.
    If you haven't played it before, Skyrim is a mammoth game with a mix of battling, collecting, puzzles, and a good story. It was released on PS3 and PS4 - a few years old now, so should be relatively cheap.
    Fallout 4 is on a similar vein but set in a future post apocalyptic world - again should be quite cheap. Although it is the 4th in the series, I'd not played the 3 previous versions and didn't feel it mattered.
    You might like GTA V - quite violent and largely about driving vehicles and shooting, but has a decent story behind it. Other than that, I've got Uncharted 3 (?) sat in a drawer waiting to be played for the first time, which is supposed ot be good and I've not played the uncharted games before.
    Not sure why you would have anything against follow up games or re-mastered games, if you've not played the previous versions. To be honest, not sure I've seen anything really original on PS4 for a while. I am also dipping in and out of Elite Dangerous, but there's no real story to it - just a hugely massively ginormous galaxy to explore, that will probably take years to get around.

Avoid the first uncharted unless you are a completist. The first is ok but not great. The best is the second. I also was pleasantly surprised by uncharted the lost legacy even though its slightly shorter.
  • donnajunkie
    Forumite
    Scorpio33 wrote: »
    Also - I have last of us on PS3, which was great!

You get all the dlc included on the ps4 version if that makes a difference to you. It is also hdr compatible if you have a hdr tv and that appeals to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure