PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2 joyful, but totally un-needed cushions and a few toiletries and manicure things to the CS yesterday, I did return with a red and white stripey T shirt, which I hope will go with my red summer skirt, also a small pyrex casserole and lid which will fit in the remoska, I have been struggling to find things big enough to cook 2 portions in, yet small enough to fit in it.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm going to do the kitchen again.

If it's not in constant use, it's going...
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Today I emptied out the linen cupboard. Result: 2 black bags to textile recycling, and one black bag of better items for the Red Cross shop.

Because I was going to the recycling centre, I added to the load 6 past it hanging baskets, some broken glass, old garden hose and two old pillows.

The bin area then got swept and I peeked in the garden shed, which is the next area to be tackled. It's not as scary as I thought it might be. My friend will fall heir to some items, including a plantation style umbrella canopy. When I've moved, I'll be a near neighbour and she's already talking about the sunny afternoons we'll spend sitting in its shade. We live in hope - this is Scotland! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :D With global warming, Scotland's residents may end up sippin' mint juleps on the verandahs of a summer.

I have been allotmenteering for 5.15 hrs on the warmest, sunniest day of the year thus far. Feel that I have recharged my solar batteries.

Have been digging on Plot1's tater patch (going well) and then spent 2 hours digging in 'the berm' - the bank of rubbishy soil at the far end of Plot2.

Have got a 25 litre bag which once held pigeon food (blew into the plot last week from somewhere else) 1/3 rd full of the following:

1. Flakes and bogies of soft plastics: clear, black, white, pink, yellow, red, blue and green.
    2. Bits of other plastic, including a margarine tub and also bottletops.
    3. Glass. And glass, and then some more glass.
    4. Two buried bricks, amazingly not even slightly broken. Keeping those.:)
    5. Binder twine in classic orange, blue and clear versions.
    6. Broken crockery, including an eye-poking orange chunk.
    7. One-and-a-half c0ckleshells.
    8. A plastic tent peg and an aluminium tent peg.
    9. Bit of aluminium about 18 inches long (might-be-useful)
    10. Several giant trugfuls of nettle and bramble roots.

:o We allotmenteers have to mentally triage findings into complete and utter trash vs might-be-useful trash. One has to be careful not to go overboard with the latter category or one's lottie shed will resemble Steptoe's Yard.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Crockery and cockleshells might be useful too GQ... I'm always after crocks for the bottom of pots!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I spent a couple of hours this morning doing some gardening, or external housework as GQ called it on another thread. Soil is horribly wet and claggy at the moment, but the couch grass is running riot in a border we share with next door. Plus they planted forget me nots in the past, they keep coming across into our part of the border, plus they will grow in between the blocks on the drive given half a chance. So rooted around between our proper plants trying to get the weeds out. Also gave a hebe in the same border a severe pruning. Next door had chopped at it (badly) but it has got quite big. I tried pruning it back on my side but struggled to get it into a decent shape. So in the end I've chopped it back to almost nothing, hoping that it will shoot again from what remains. If it doesn't we'll dig it out in a few months and replace it. We need the garden to look good as we aim to sell our house in the next couple of years. Result is the garden bin is nearly full, but there's still a load of the garden to weed.

Will not miss the horrid clay soil we have here, our future home is not far from a river and the soil is probably silt.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Grow roses slinky!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Got my potatoes in today and about half the onions. I know I should be prioritising the onions but the potato patch was dug first.

Lady Day today - traditionally the start of the agricultural year. Seemed like a good day to get things underway
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Slinky
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    Grow roses slinky!

We're selling up and moving greenbee, plus I can do without being scratched to bits by the roses whilst trying to dig out the weeds! We've got a large bush rose that wounds my OH every time he mows the lawn!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400

• Slinky
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Got my potatoes in today and about half the onions. I know I should be prioritising the onions but the potato patch was dug first.

Lady Day today - traditionally the start of the agricultural year. Seemed like a good day to get things underway

That reminds me, I also visited the garden centre and managed to get the same onions we had success with last year - Centurion. Soil is way too soggy to plant but we're hoping to get them in next weekend in amongst decorating and day out.
    Make £2024 in 2024

Make £2023 in 2023

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport