PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen, I did the same when I lived on my own: limiting the crickery to force myself to do the washing up. It worked more or less, until I found a microwave sized dishwasher that fitted on the worksurface. Bliss!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    A late Spring clean/ deep clean of the kitchen today/yesterday (and tomorrow!) has led to a box of items for the CS (excess napkins (including some I don't recognise!), a new/ unused whisk, an unused cake tin and more), lots of packaging from medicines recycled, 2 packs of tablets ood for the pharmacy and some plastic recycled. Some items relocated to the office and the garage, too. Just some cleaning in there left to finish tomorrow :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Funnily enough, one of the items in the bag of my stuff which left yesterday was my unused whisk! It came from a chazzer for pence, replacing on which I'd decluttered years ago becauce I thought I 'ought' to have one because everyone does, y'know?

It lived in a drawer whereas the utensils I actually use live in a pot by the stove. I remembered it when watching a blogger called Sarah on Abundantly Minimal, who was doing one of her 'anti-haul' posts on things she's getting rid of. She said she only ever beat eggs with a fork and so her whisk was going, I thought 'snap'! and dug out mine.

Whisks, if you don't use them, are a menace in drawers or utensil jars as they're forever tangling with other things.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I have 2 other whisks which I actually use (1 purple silicone, 1 stainless steel) for different things/ in different things plus the one with the K-Aid. This is one of those ones which looks like a spring has been coiled around the bottom edge of a spoon. The coil is hot pink silicone, so it's quite funky - but the only reason I have it is because it came as part of a set (I wanted the other 3 items) - it's been sat - unloved - in a drawer since its arrival, so definitely time for it to leave!

Will hopefully have some random toot from DD's room leaving (or being set aside to leave with other stuff en-masse) today. Plus I think there are a couple of unwanted (long life - tinned) items hanging around the pantry - am sure they can make their way to the foodbank, rather than cluttering up my kitchen :D
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) I've been having a bit of a rummage to find something and came across a pair of glasses with an obsolete prescription. Because I have only one pair at a time, I keep the script-before-last as an emergency back-up, but these were the ones before that.

They have now gone into the donations bin at a SpexSaverrrs.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One thing I got rid of over the weekend was 20 or so very old coins from foreign parts - I'm sure some of them weren't even legal tender any more. I was at the Big City on the Sea, and a Metro Bank was open. Just like the previous inhabitant of that space, they collect foreign coins and donate to charities.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :T Nice on, Karmakat. I am looking at 2 x 1cent pieces right now, was wondering what to do with them, so will sling them in the next collection point. Dunno even know how I come to have them, must have got them in change at some point.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I dropped something today, saw it bounce twice then !!!!!!! off it went to c-space. I could almost see those little lines a cartoon would have to denote a missing thing. First thing I thought of was the stories of the missing things on here some time ago:rotfl: however I musta spooked it by immediately recognising it going so it rematerialised waaaaay under the couch :T:T (I checked nearby but can report no one elses stuff was dragged thru with it)

I've been tidying our huge hut. A job that's been overdue for around 5 years. It is stuffed full of stuff including potential storage solutions but had been so jam packed its just too much bother to try to sort so it was easier to shove more things in and go buy little things that we know we have but have no idea where they are. Anyway. I started sorting, got the racking out from behind a ton of stuff, made it up and set it up then started organising stuff into like with like. After congratulating myself when things fitted beautifully into shelves I suddenly remembered - just because I have a space doesn't mean the item should be kept. Checked back over the bits I had done and right enough, some items didnt need to be kept. I've been trying to remember that in the days since and it does help - I'm not just trying to store, I'm trying to sort and organise. Hut looking clearer and more organised now plus shelves have spaces so it's easier to reorganise as I go and am refining it.

Tired now, but been a good 4 days work (on and off)

Thanks again to mk, in years gone past it would all have been tidier after a session like this.....but it would almost all still be there.

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,395 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »

It lived in a drawer whereas the utensils I actually use live in a pot by the stove. I remembered it when watching a blogger called Sarah on Abundantly Minimal, who was doing one of her 'anti-haul' posts on things she's getting rid of. She said she only ever beat eggs with a fork and so her whisk was going, I thought 'snap'! and dug out mine.

I watch Sarah too.:)
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) I've only discovered her blog in the past couple of weeks and am finding much to like, Sarah has an engaging and unpretentious way about her. I do find some Americans a tad over-excitable for my laconic tastes.........
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills