PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What a sad time for you Mrs M. I wondered where you had gone....missed your posts. Self care very important. Make sure you have plenty. :)

2 bin bags to CS today. 3 bin bags of fabric pieces being collected by a local fr**gler who I have come to know through fr**cycle. She belongs to a sewing/crafting group ( I wish I could make patchworks!) so they are very grateful for the supply. Sadly none of these bags contain stuff from my house:( It was stuff being throw out at work - well dumped into a skip if I am honest so I offered to get it re-purposed - they all think I am some weird eco fanatic but they will happily dump stuff then complain at the cost of taking the 'rubbish' away - dont be wasteful and fill up the skip so quickly I say....deaf ears:mad:

However 2 items sold on Eb*y that came form the wardrobe so thats a win :)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So sorry to read your sad new mrs moneypenny, be gentle with yourself and if things seem too hard to deal with leave them for now, the right time will come. Virtual hugs a plenty if you need them.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mrs moneypenny sorry to read you've been going through that for the last 6 months, please take care of yourself and be ready for ups and downs in the coming months.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread

I hope the above links to a thread on over 50s money saving thread called self help thread I am a widow coping getting on with it. Lots of advice and chat of you read through from first page

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words and support.
    So far today I've decluttered lots of tears over of all things an old digger tyre, DH was really into fitness before he became ill and this particular tyre was part of his fitness regime. He used to lay it down and hit it with a sledge hammer! Yes he was that fit! Anyway I looked in the shed became overwhelmed by its contents and ended up sobbing over the tyre. Once I calmed down I returned to the shed got a small trowel and a slightly bent knife and decluttered what seemed like several hundred teasle plants from the lawn as well as the parent plant from the flower bed, that seemed a much safer and more satisfying option. By the time te children came round I felt able to have a minor scurmish with the contents of the garage and by the time the children left we had a load of empty plastic containers in the recycling, a box of metal bits on the front for the scrap man, a bin bag of rubbish and a small box of stuff for the CS. Very small baby steps but nothing at all in those things had any chance of sparking joy and was probably long over due in leaving. A brand new car seat cover and tub of antifreeze has been popped into the back of firms vehicle for when that's collected and I've rung a good friend of dh to ask if he would like a couple of pieces of fitness equipment, which he seemed really touched to be offered and has accepted them so will collect tomorrow. Thinking about the tyre I may see if I can turn it into a raised bed of some form so I can keep it and have somewhere to sit and ponder the unfairness of the situation or even take the sledgehammer to it myself when things get to stressful!
    Tomorrow is another day I may do some more or I may stay in bed all day I shall see, but I thank you all for being here. X
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • GoingToDoIt
    Options
    Sorry for your loss, MrsMoneypenny. Grief can be so overwhelming.

I’ve popped back for some inspiration after a long break, basic kondo principles still working, a lot of komono has crept in and I need to spend a day/weekend on it but have not had the time. I also have a few wine glasses at the back of a cupboard making me irrationally angry (?) they’re tricky to wash up, rarely used, a stupid shape...think they are going to the recycle bin today.
    Being a spoonie, I’ve recently been using up my plastic picnic set (plates/cutlery/cups) and found it much easier to cope with than my “good” stuff. Have bought a few cheap metal forks and two cheapo lightweight dinner plates from a £shop. Makes washing up so much less of a chore! Wish I had done it years ago!
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My kondoing this last week has been of my mother's house now she is in care and of weeds in my garden. The latter has been joyful in a) removing perennial weeds and uplifting and energising mentally at being able to spend some time outside and the warmth and sun has been a real bonus. My own kondoing is just a few things here and there as I don't have the time or spoons to deal drastically with 2 properties simultaneously.

The plus side of dealing with mum's possessions (and loads of junk) is getting to spend time with my DSis and DSisIL, we work well together and it is all very harmonious:D

Today I will be baking, workmen due to erect a fence for us and they have been promised cake, it will give me an opportunity to use up baking supplies and replenish with fresh where necessary:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss mrs-moneypenny xxx

Slight Kondo fail at the weekend as picked up a book in the CS for OH only to discover that we already owned it. I guess 2 weekend without a cs bag on the go was hoping for too much :o
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Very small baby steps but nothing at all in those things had any chance of sparking joy and was probably long over due in leaving.
    I know you must be facing an awful lot of *stuff*, Mrs Moneypenny, but the steps you managed yesterday don't sound like baby steps, they sound like whacking great strides, congratulations on that, especially at such a difficult time.

Thinking about the tyre I may see if I can turn it into a raised bed of some form so I can keep it and have somewhere to sit and ponder the unfairness of the situation or even take the sledgehammer to it myself when things get to stressful!
    Tomorrow is another day I may do some more or I may stay in bed all day I shall see, but I thank you all for being here. X
    Sounds good, I like all of that. Though adding plants to take care of, as well as the ones you've already got, might not be right for you at the moment. Staying in bed sounds much better :kisses3:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,210 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words and support.
    So far today I've decluttered lots of tears over of all things an old digger tyre, DH was really into fitness before he became ill and this particular tyre was part of his fitness regime. He used to lay it down and hit it with a sledge hammer! Yes he was that fit! Anyway I looked in the shed became overwhelmed by its contents and ended up sobbing over the tyre. Once I calmed down I returned to the shed got a small trowel and a slightly bent knife and decluttered what seemed like several hundred teasle plants from the lawn as well as the parent plant from the flower bed, that seemed a much safer and more satisfying option. By the time te children came round I felt able to have a minor scurmish with the contents of the garage and by the time the children left we had a load of empty plastic containers in the recycling, a box of metal bits on the front for the scrap man, a bin bag of rubbish and a small box of stuff for the CS. Very small baby steps but nothing at all in those things had any chance of sparking joy and was probably long over due in leaving. A brand new car seat cover and tub of antifreeze has been popped into the back of firms vehicle for when that's collected and I've rung a good friend of dh to ask if he would like a couple of pieces of fitness equipment, which he seemed really touched to be offered and has accepted them so will collect tomorrow. Thinking about the tyre I may see if I can turn it into a raised bed of some form so I can keep it and have somewhere to sit and ponder the unfairness of the situation or even take the sledgehammer to it myself when things get to stressful!
    I think using the tyre that way sounds like a wonderful idea. It will be in view when you want to see it, useful and also beautiful when the plants establish and you can privately thump it as hard as you want when you feel the need without causing it to break releasing hurt and anger. Great idea

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 February 2019 at 8:12PM
    Options
    Kondoed time in the garden today - not a lot done if I am honest but some plans made and inroads into the back of one of the deepest boarders - will move some plants around I think over next couple of days.

Inadvertently kondoed my lovely sycamore chopping/bread board :( I always take it outside to brush the crumbs off for the birds....coming back into kitchen it literally jumped out of my hands :eek: and nothing ever survives our slate floors sadly. OH said he could repair it but I think he was being kind - although it is made up of 2 pieces of wood it has not broken cleanly along the join. Really upset me as I bought it in 1984 at a large agricultural show and the person who made it said it would last 'forever' if looked after......and I have looked after it until now. I guess it owes me nothing but it must have real stories to tell! It will go in the log basket for some future fire.......now I have to find another one!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure