PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was travelling by train yesterday - and I was really cold! Virgin Trains have their air conditioning set on high, for sure. We had a lovely breeze up north, but down south here it's airless, as GQ says, and hotter too :( with no breeze. I haven't been out to the back garden yet, but things don't look too bad from the kitchen window. Kondo-wise, the most important thing is that I've almost unpacked, so the case can be put away :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I was travelling by train yesterday - and I was really cold! Virgin Trains have their air conditioning set on high, for sure. We had a lovely breeze up north, but down south here it's airless, as GQ says, and hotter too :( with no breeze. I haven't been out to the back garden yet, but things don't look too bad from the kitchen window. Kondo-wise, the most important thing is that I've almost unpacked, so the case can be put away :)
    :p Count yourself fortunate, my hipster toyboy and his pal were stuck on a Virgin train last year with broken-down aircon (and a broken-down train for some of the time). They'd paid a LOT of money for their tickets and didn't even get a seat and the train was full of poorly people due to the heat including vomiting children. Dee-light-ful - NOT!

I was on the lottie at 07.45 this morning and came away 3 hours later when it was becoming too hot to think never mind work. Already 25c. Needed to get home and showered as meeting a rellie at 1 pm for a bite of luncheon, she's up the city doing some shopping as lives about an hour away. Should be a laugh.

Last night I was rummaging in the six little wicker drawers in the bathroom where I keep my toiletries. It was a frustrating experience and I ended up chucking everything into my small round linen basket, found the item then bethought myself that this lot needs a good sort out before it all goes back. I have these, except when I bought mine a few years ago, about the same price got me an extra 2-drawer-high stack with the 4-drawer stack; http://www.argos.co.uk/product/8335708

:o Y'know, I consider myself a low-maintenance woman, but I was shocked at the quantity of stuff. OK, some if it is empty containers, like a couple of plastic bottles to decant liquids in for holibobs, plus a soap dish, but I was still pretty horrified. Post-luncheon, I shall turf that lot out on the floor and sort it out.

Nice indoor project for a scorching afto, then prolly over to a pal in the evening. I do love Sundays! :D
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    Another little bag of kibble to the cs at the weekend.
    One item was a handbag that was still brand new (unwanted gift) I have been trying to sell it for 18 months but apparently everyone finds it as vile as I do!

I have a rag bag that needs to go now I have identified a rag bin (my old go-to one was removed).

I'm also thinking of freegling the steam cleaner that I inherited from OH's gran. I've never even used it and I suspect that I won't. Does anyone have a steam cleaner? Am I missing out on a fab trick here?

I also need to drop a few ball of crochet cotton to a friend. Need to check when she's in.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I haven't been on here for a while.:wave:

I have fallen off the KM wagon!:naughty:

I just went through my wardrobe and chest of drawers to have a tidy up and I seem to have accumulated lots more stuff over the past few months!:eek:

I have been enjoying the football and the tennis (and not enjoying this hot weather!) but in the next couple of weeks I am going to make up a bag, or a few bags, of stuff to go off the charity shop.

I want to get right back on track.:)
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :o OK, so I have upended the laundry basket which is holding the contents of the 6 small bathroom drawers onto the floor in the sitting room and have aligned the contents in rows.

Toothpaste; 13 full-sized tubes, one part-used. One travel-sized tube. 8 combs, some with broken teeth. Three sachets of shampoo (could've done with them on holiday, I thought, then I remembered that they're beggars to open without scissors and how often do I have scissors with me in the shower?! Anwser - not often, even at home and never on the holibobs).

A few items of sanpro (I am going thru menopause and have had one cycle in the past 20 months). Some disposable razors, enough for several years' worth of leg-shaving. Two spare unused crystal deodorants, the first one I've ever bought is still going strong after 2 years and 7 months..........

Going to put the sanpro away in bedroom drawer in case of need. Have also decided to empty the sachets into a mini-travel shampoo bottle, on the grounds that I'm more likely to be able to use that.

I've unwrapped 3 mini travel soaps which I will use next (I have a couple of mini soaps in mini plastic containers for use on the go). Will be putting the two dozen unused, still on their card but perished ponytail bands into the textile recycling. It's probably nearly 10 years since I had anything other than short hair and I have no plans to grow it again and they're perished, fgs.

Also found two iterations of the same personal grooming tool, the defunct one and the non-defunct one. Have removed the batteries from the old one and then it can go.

I will be vacuuming the woven basketry drawer units and the area underneath them before putting it all back. I am also considering if some other way of storing my Stuff is more suitable, once there is less stuff to store.

Truckin' on. ;)
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just had a clearout of old files from the desktop of my older pc. The new monitor is up and running, and being larger, the digital clutter was easier to see. There were lots of jpgs, opened each before deciding to ditch or keep. Came across one photo of OH and I in a wine bar on holiday in Greece. I was wearing exactly the same vest top I'm currently wearing! It doesn't get a lot of use unfortunately, especially not in this country, probably a couple of years since I've worn it at home. Photo was taken in 2007. I think it has a good few years more wear in it yet.

We've had a good clean in our sunroom today. We had ants getting in a couple of weeks ago, so we've dragged everything out, cleaned the room, gone round all the edges with some translucent sealant, hopefully that will stop the blighters getting in again.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• GreyQueen
    Options
    :) Well done, Slinky.

Someone who knows about these things told me that if you have files saved to your desktop, as opposed to saved to somewhere else with a shortcut on the desktop, if you backup the files to a usb stick or similar, the desktop files don't back up. :eek:

Have got the last ergs of the fullsize shampoo bottle plus the three sachets into one of the travel bottles and placed it handily in the bathroom to be used next. Not saving until next holibobs as this stuff has been sitting around for a while already and is best used.

I have picked several pounds of currants of the lottie and have been laboriously stripping them off the stems for freezing, although I did have SG around visiting with me some of the time. Have also had a bit of lunch with my rellie and a sit in the sun chatting about this and that.

Righty, need to go eat something and get the last of the currants into the freezer and try to turn this squalor pit into a respectable home before the workweek starts again tomorrow.:o
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GQ freezing currants. I lay them out on trays freeze them and then destalk them. Easy and quick to do with a fork when they are frozen then they are bagged. As they have been frozen flat they don't clump together when bagged.
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    grunnie wrote: »
    GQ freezing currants. I lay them out on trays freeze them and then destalk them. Easy and quick to do with a fork when they are frozen then they are bagged. As they have been frozen flat they don't clump together when bagged.
    :o Oh pants, I wish I'd known that a few hours ago, shall bear it in mind for next time, tho.

Mimd you, m mini freezer would have to be empty to take a tray, so that wouldn't have worked too well, anyway. But thank you for the tip, I shall use it next time.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills