PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Pollybear
    Pollybear Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have a teaspoon in my drawer - about twice the size of a normal teaspoon, heavy with a twisted handle. It appeared about five years ago and no-one in the family has any idea where it came from. I fully expect it to disappear one day - maybe it will "go home" !
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) OK, mystery solved, just been chatting with the parents and the pump came from their's.

In June 2013, I swopped my Raliegh for Mum's Pashley Princess. Her suggestion (she wasn't using the PP) after I mentioned that my bike mechanic had said I needed the R's rear wheel rebuilt. We swopped back in June 2017 (PP was too small a frame size and causing me physical problems) and I had the rebuild, and various other bits and bobs done, finally getting the R running sweet as a nut about a fortnight before it was stolen........ and they even got my new bike bell, damn their eyes, for my £12.99 I reckon I'd paid about £2 per ding!

Anyway, it turns out that this little black pump came back from the family homestead in the basket of the R. I obviously put it where I do put bike pumps in June 2017 and promptly forgot it until I found it today.

Tell ya, I am so relieved that there is a logical explanation.:D

I also found a spare front bike light and bracket which I'd kept for Justin; it was the replacement for the front light which fell and broke in the same incident which buckled my rear wheel - hitting a Grand Canyon sized pothole at speed one dark winter evening on the way back from evening class.

I shall try that out - the back light of the original pair is long since gone although I couldn't get its bracket off the back of the R because the bolts had rusted and I hadn't got a blade in my junior hacksaw........... one slightly cheering thought about not having the R was that at least I was relieved of one niggly little To Do........... :rotfl:

:p There's always a bright side, if you but look for it.:p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollybear - I have a pretty dessert fork that I don't know where it came from. Doesn't match anything I have ever owned and my mum didn't have anything like it either. I do like it though ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Bluegreen143
    Options
    Kondoed my bathroom today! Anyone else struggle to get rid of toiletries? I knew that most of the body cream would be out of date having come at least one Christmas ago but more probably two. I don’t actually moisturise often, hence why it builds up (I seem to use everything else in toiletry gift sets except the body cream). Yet still I struggle to part with it as it seems so potentially useful. Anyway I got over it and kondoed it down to a reasonable amount. Ditto with hand cream - I do use it regularly, but had loads of tubes of it for some reason.

My two year old helped me Kondo a handful of tampons by ripping them open before I realised! I had contained him in the bath but it also had some of the less dangerous bathroom stuff stacked in it from when I emptied out the cupboard (our main storage cupboard is at the end of the bath), he had been entertaining himself by lining everything up. Luckily I don’t use them anymore as have a menstrual cup. In fact I think they’d been in my cupboard years in case of emergency so probably deserved to be ditched.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    These lowlifes, they have no empathy at all. That was a sad tale frogletina
    elona wrote: »

That is awful news about the bike. Is there any chance something might come up on freecycle if you post a "want" and a brief explanation?
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :( Those 'orrible little thieving ............. ! Words fail me, as if he didn't have enough to contend with.

Saw something on a newspaper site today, talking about how some crime categories are increasing, seemingly in response to policing resources being allocated differently. There was mention of bike theft being up 18 %.

Kudos to anyone with a stored but usable bike who plans to liberate it, may the blessings of all cyclists descend on you.

Thank you all for your concerns.

My granddaughter's boyfriend is looking out for a bike for him, he's a cyclist himself so knows what to look for.

At first it seemed a blessing in disguise because I do worry about him when he is on it, especially as he is also waiting for a cataract operation. But he isn't that steady on his feet and so he's probably safer when riding.

He talked about going out and buying a bike himself, but he really doesn't understand money these days, so could easily get taken advantage of. The building society now suggests that he only takes a small sum of money out when he goes there - the family do all of his main shopping, and he just gets the odd item himself. After he had been diagnosed I found he had been taking out over £400 a month and we had no idea where it was all going.

He now knows that a bike is being sourced for him, but we don't want to spent too much money on it as we don't know if he will be able to remember to or be able to lock it.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

My two year old helped me Kondo a handful of tampons by ripping them open before I realised! I had contained him in the bath but it also had some of the less dangerous bathroom stuff stacked in it from when I emptied out the cupboard (our main storage cupboard is at the end of the bath), he had been entertaining himself by lining everything up. Luckily I don’t use them anymore as have a menstrual cup. In fact I think they’d been in my cupboard years in case of emergency so probably deserved to be ditched.

Two of mine, when aged about 18 months and 3 and a half, unwrapped a load of these and were having great fun 'expanding' them in the wash basin full of water when I checked in to see why they had gone quiet all of a sudden :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DawnW now you mention it, my mum says my sister and I once decided they were all “ships” and floated a massive value pack in the bathtub :o she was a very poverty-stricken single mum on benefits at the time so was NOT amused :eek:
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) Grinning at all the anecdotes about the kiddies. When we were little Mum was a smoker. Kid Bruv was obvs part of the toddler league of the anti smoking alliance; whenver he went quiet she'd find him behind our sofa ripping up her ciggies.:rotfl:

Have just kondo'd a few notes to the lovely indy bike shop. This is where the 'umble bikes, the slightly tatty ones with crates on the carriers go to get the lurve. My new/secondhand bike is now pimped up with some used accessories (basket, kickstand) and new lights and has been serviced.

I've also had a very interesting convo with a bloke whose name I do not know but I will call The Bike Fisher. This enterprising chap fishes pushbkes out of the river here in the city. Says there are no end of them in there, even as-new ones. He tries to hand them into the Police but they aren't interested and tells him to keep them.

The Bike Fisher now has a description of the stolen bike, means to contact me via a mutual friend, and the promise of an easy £20 if he gets hold of my bike. Fingers crossed.

:p Then, if I do get it back and it's restorable, I shall use it and keep this one for my pal, Justin. At the rate of bike thievery in this city, I might need to keep a spare.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I decided today that I will go KM again on my house. I'm watching minimalist YouTube stuff again.

I'm going to go completely from top to bottom in my home and see what else I really don't use.:A
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    :) Any particularly good ones to recommend, please?
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills